Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: Most Regrettable College Major in America

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,722

    Most Regrettable College Major in America

    According to one source, anyway, the most regretted major is English.

    The least regretted? Accounting! Who knew?

    https://moneyish.com/ish/this-is-the...or-in-america/

  2. #2
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10,987
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    According to one source, anyway, the most regretted major is English.

    The least regretted? Accounting! Who knew?

    https://moneyish.com/ish/this-is-the...or-in-america/
    My English degree served me well,
    I have no regrets!

  3. #3
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    7,038
    How about a double major in English & Theatre (concentration in Drama Criticism)? Should I be doubly regretful?

    Interestingly, the skills I learned with my double major have served me extremely well in my career as a market researcher. So I have no regrets at all.

    On a related note, I took this Facebook quiz "We can guess your profession" and they guessed I was a scientist (!). I am very sure my H.S. biology and chemistry teachers would beg to differ. But it did say that I am future-oriented and tend to see the big picture, and that is definitely true. So maybe I am a scientist (haha)

    Try it! See what you get. https://writical.com/predicting-prof...otional-state/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,240
    I majored in whatever came easiest to me--including English. That was a mistake. I think course choices are much more interesting now, and I would take more challenging ones. Most of my jobs were outside of my degree field. Way outside.

    But if I had it to do over, I would study technical writing again, presumably in English.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,512
    Catherine, that test is so fun--here is what I came up with
    You are a thinker!

    You are a thinker! You love theory and abstract ideas, and you hold high standards for performance. You are independent, creative, and insightful, and you work best by yourself. Based on your answers, the following careers match your personality type: strategic planner, university professor, computer programmer, technical writer, lawyer, judge, and photographer. Are we spot-on?



    So yeah, I am a university professor, so I guess that correlates.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,512
    OP, I do want to point out that your title is a little off-- it was most regretted, not most regrettable

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    OP, I do want to point out that your title is a little off-- it was most regretted, not most regrettable
    I was simply using the title of the article. Accountants report based on the unembellished record.

    I assume no liability for errors and omissions committed by English majors.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Catherine, that test is so fun--here is what I came up with
    You are a thinker!

    You are a thinker! You love theory and abstract ideas, and you hold high standards for performance. You are independent, creative, and insightful, and you work best by yourself. Based on your answers, the following careers match your personality type: strategic planner, university professor, computer programmer, technical writer, lawyer, judge, and photographer. Are we spot-on?



    So yeah, I am a university professor, so I guess that correlates.
    I got the same result, which I took to be an insult.

    "Creative" and "insightful" are codewords for poorly documented and unsupported assertions.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,512
    Well, if that is how you define creative and insightful, then no wonder you were insulted.

  10. #10
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    7,038
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I got the same result, which I took to be an insult.

    "Creative" and "insightful" are codewords for poorly documented and unsupported assertions.
    Are you serious?? Do you think innovation and progress is even possible without creativity and insight??
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •