Thread: Favorite Make-Ahead Meals?

Geila

Favorite Make-Ahead Meals?

It's been so nice to eat good home-cooked meals this week without having to cook anything. I've been using up my make-ahead meals from the freezer and fridge. My favorite meals for this are Mexican, with Italian a close second. Sadly, as I've gotten older, the tomato sauces have become too acidic for my digestive system so I don't get to enjoy Italian as much as I'd like.

What are your favorites?

Geila, I know cooks who add a small pinch of baking soda to tomato sauce to reduce the acidity. Have you tried that?

Our make-ahead meals are quite eclectic. I don't at all cook in the "It's-Tuesday-Taco-Night" mode. Some dishes are repeated because they are quite popular and I can easily make a lot at one time for immediate serving and freezing. Chicken soup falls in this category, as does borscht. Some bean dishes meet those requirements, too, but I'm pretty much the only one who was eating them and I probably won't be for a while. I do like to prepare collards and turnip greens and freeze them, sometimes with meat and sometimes for meat to be added on reheating. Otherwise, the sky is the limit -- whatever will freeze well is a candidate.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Geila
    Ah, borscht... made me think of Mrs. M. She posted her recipe for it once. She was such a gem.

Thanks for the tip about the baking soda, I hadn't heard of that. I might try it when I'm craving Italian sausage and pasta.

Chicken enchiladas and chicken pot pie from a rotisserie chicken.

Lasagna is my favorite. I also stock my freezer with different kinds of meatballs, meatloaf, roast beef and gravy, mashed potatoes, cooked rice. Different kinds of soups are also wonderful. I miss Mrs M....

Quote Originally Posted by libby View Post
    Lasagna is my favorite. I also stock my freezer with different kinds of meatballs, meatloaf, roast beef and gravy, mashed potatoes, cooked rice. Different kinds of soups are also wonderful. I miss Mrs M....
    I miss Mrs M and Lessisbest for frugal cooking and housekeeping ideas.

Lasagna is my favorite as well. I always make at least two at a time... one for dinner and one for the freezer. If noodles and cheese are on sale, I make a several - as I don't pre-cook the regular noodles if I'm going to freeze.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information