Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossing the border next Thursday, a little apprehensive.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I'm sure that everyone ignoring everyone else will do wonderful things for the level of stimulating discussion on the Forums.
    On the one hand I do see you have a point, yes. On the other hand, I value my peace and am done with my role as forum door mat. Perhaps blocking for the long term/permanently from others is to deprive yourself of some differing viewpoints on the forum, yes, but in my case after having starred in the role of forum pinata it's the only way I can make a positive contribution here and eliminate that which had become toxic (not naming any names). I've got to say I'm very much liking the blocking feature and as I've said, in the case of yours truly (I don't and won't speak for others here) it's a wise move to use this feature. YMMV and that's cool if it does, most certainly. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    On the one hand I do see you have a point, yes. On the other hand, I value my peace and am done with my role as forum door mat. Perhaps blocking for the long term/permanently for others is to deprive yourself of some differing viewpoints on the forum, yes, but in my case after having starred in the role of forum pinata it's the only way I can make a positive contribution here and eliminate that which had become toxic (not naming any names). I've got to say I'm very much liking the blocking feature and as I've said, in the case of yours truly (I don't and won't speak for others here) it's a wise move to use this feature. YMMV and that's cool if it does, most certainly. Rob
    But what if no one's reading this?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Both my Grandparents and parents would help others including strangers. My GP let a few relatives live with them during the depression even though they were very poor. At 21 I was a young divorced Mom with a son to support and a low paying job. My parents had to help with car repairs etc because I just didn't make enough $. Then I remarried and we had 2 more kids. $ was tight for a few years but then my husband's income increased to the level that I could go to college and pay cash for it. I saw my neighbor struggle with 2 little kids and being on welfare. So between me, ex and my Mom and her Dad we watched her kids so she could go to college to get a better job. She was successful, got a job and their life was way better. So when I started college I wanted to be a teacher and there was a small private college in our town that produced excellent teachers. Unfortunately, our district only hired from out of state. No clue why. So I changed my major to SW. As a SW I saw some horrible things happen that never should have, etc. Then one of our clients murdered a SW I knew well and I got scared because I was in my 30's with 3 kids. So back to grad school for a job to test and evaluate people with disabilities to help them get back to work. When someone acquired a disability suddenly their entire life was turned upside down. It often lead to financial ruin and divorce. A young doctor with a bad head injury and tons of student loan debt was a client and could only do menial work. He saw his identity as a doctor and was never going to be able to pay his debts. Yes we had clients that were liars, scammers, trying to get stuff for free, etc but not the majority of our clients. Being a SW for 4 years did toughen naive me up. Now in retirement I am finally getting to teach.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    This makes me so happy!!! I firmly believe in seeking environments that are nourishing and avoiding those that are not. To be honest, I don't know how long I'll be hanging around here. I can see why new people don't stick around. The nastiness is depressing and tiring. And I don't think it will disappear. I might be wrong, but I think some people relish it.

Anyway, I will enjoy the pleasant company while I'm here. Would love to hear about Queretaro!
    Geila, color me as hoping this brouhaha (I picked up this word in Mexico years ago and have always wanted to use it lol) will help in calming things down. I for my part will be keeping certain peeps on perma-ignore and I invite them to do the same with me - though such is of course up to them as free individuals. I'm already feeling calmer here and feel I have steered myself more towards those who are making what I consider positive contributions that resonate for me. I hope I am doing the same for the many unblocked others but of course all of our mileages are going to vary on this one, I get that. Next tiff here I hope very much not to be a part of in any way, shape, or form, and given that I no longer have keys to behind the scenes it's very easy not to be a part of such. So that much sure works for me!

There are good people here and there always have been, I maintain this much is true. I agree that the nastiness is depressing and tiring - I personally have the stamina overall of the Energizer Bunny in dealing with such (probably because of both my economic background and also due to working in customer service and having to keep a neutral face at minimum when confronted with absolute insanity) - but I have faith that the board has made some progress moving towards a calmer place. Color me hoping that if such does not disappear, at least there's a noticeable reduction in such.

What would you like to know about Querataro? My husband and I are trying to work it so that we can visit sometime within the next year - really spend some time there to see if it's a good fit. I like the colonial buildings, the low cost of living, the climate, and the relative safety of the place.....it's very stereotypically interior Mexico in it's appearance and pace of life. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    My take is that of course certain folks here have blocked me and for this I say more power to them! I mean this with no snark, either. If what I post is so distressful to them, by all means they should be perma-blocking me. And vice versa, of course. My take is that certain folks here never grasped that this street very much goes both ways - but now such unnamed persons are blocked - what does it matter? Can we not have some peace at this point? There are those here whose posts resonate for me in a positive way and I hope I return this favor as a long term member here. I have no wish to leave - just to be free of the ick that just took place (need I get more specific at this point?) and had been taking place for some time. No longer do I accept the role of forum door mat....and yes, I should never have accepted such for so long. Anyone thinking or wishing to post such - I'll say right here and now that you have a very good point there. This is something I need to work on in my life, yes. Breaking away constructively from unpleasantness instead of riding it out on and on and on and on. Give me some credit though - I finally broke away. Took long enough, yes, but I did do it. Rob

It may be trying at times, but I kind of like my job. I think a major impediment to happiness at work and elsewhere is the failure to cultivate a certain sense of gratitude. If you approach life with the attitude that you are owed a living and that any work you do with anything short of joy every minute is an imposition, then you’ve probably doomed yourself to unhappiness. My work provides frequent headaches and heartburn, but it also provides a means to give my family the things they need and to provide for their future. If it wasn’t difficult and frustrating, I would probably not take as much satisfaction in doing it.

Much like with the people in my life, I try not to waste too much effort in resenting how they come up short. Focusing on what they do bring me is much healthier If that's self-delusion, I highly recommend it.

Maybe we could integrate some of the Facebook algorithms, so that we only see posts from people who echo our own thoughts. That'd sure be peaceful.

Geila
    Rob - I visited some of the colonial cities in Mexico many years ago and fell in love with them. I'd like to go back some day. I didn't make it to Queretaro, but I did go to Morelia and I just loved that city. The beautiful pink stone buildings, the aquaducts, the food! And the people were so warm and welcoming. I also liked the small town of Uruapan. Back then it had a lovely plaza and a beautiful nature park with lots of water everywhere.

Maybe you can teach English when you retire? Or lead tours of the colonial cities. I've always thought that would be an awesome job. And with your background in service, maybe do airbnb or a Bed & Breakfast!

Dang it, now that you quoted it I can see it. Oh the agony!

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Dang it, now that you quoted it I can see it. Oh the agony!
    Really??? How old are you?

Thread Information