Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossing the border next Thursday, a little apprehensive.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Thank you for the instructions Razz.
    Yes, Thank You. I have went ahead a blocked a few folks myself based on these instructions. I see Alan has brought up a caveat on the blocking feature but.....I'm hoping it works on an everyday level for the most part. Glad to get this resolved for the good of the board. With this I'm moving on from this topic. Rob

anyone has wondered why I chose to wait tables/work banquets even though I do hold a BSBA in Marketing from NAU, in this line of work such is not an issue. You get to be who you are much more in food and beverage than in an office job - provided that no guests complain about you and that you maintain on the floor. Once you walk through the other side of the door into the back of the house you get to be human and who you really are - unlike in office work where such is not possible. It's very important for me to be real and human, qualities I believe I have brought to this board, though my reality obviously is not everyone else's. It's a bit of disappointment to me, honestly, as my take here is that diversity of opinion is not respected by all - by many, yes, but not by all - and we know who I am talking about. There is no need to be catty and call out names.
    if it's really a choice it seems you don't get to complain about it paying less than office jobs (if it does). Of course if you are just incapable of doing an office job then you are just incapable (sometimes introverts simply can't do an extremely extroverted job, or people seem lack the most basic aptitude for a certain line of work, and it's not just a matter of preference *because* they actually do the job badly - and well doing a job badly leads to getting fired eventually, and people learn what they can't do the hard way in that case - assuming they really wanted to do well of course but were just failing and flailing because they simply couldn't).

Unless you are talking about being discriminated against for being gay, that might at one time have been more acceptable in food and beverage maybe, I have no idea, about the only place there's still open discrimination now as far as I can tell is blue collar stuff like construction (people call each other gay slurs all day long apparently - a rough crowd - so yes you can call that "honest" if honest is admitted at work things like you support the KKK! Meanwhile offices are doing the yearly training about avoiding creating a hostile work environments etc.). Though I think you are quite simply wrong about not being able to be who you are once you leave an office, yes some jobs might require a lot of working from home but others don't (seems more the exception to have a lot of overtime than the rule but of course it exists...).
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 7-23-17 at 11:47am.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Thank you for the instructions Razz.
    There's an even easier way:

Click on the offending members name, then 'View Profile'
    On the members profile page, click on 'Add to Ignore List'.

Easy Peasy!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Rob continues to bring up incendiary topics because he gets something out of it. I can think of a couple of things he gets out of it. Can you?
    What you read as incendiary, I read as a person experiencing some concern, apprehension, and perhaps anxiety about an upcoming event. And I see a person posting about it here in an effort to alleviate those feelings. The fact that the event would not cause concern for you does not mean that the person's concern is invalid. And it certainly does not give you or others license to mock him for his feelings.

We all have our own fears and insecurities that might seem unfounded, exaggerated or silly to others. I'm afraid of heights and I'm claustrophobic. Does that make my genuine fear in those circumstances illegitimate, and therefore cause for ridicule?

Some people also have PTSD or PTSD symptoms arising from traumatic events. I can't imagine mocking someone for it. Compassion and kindness seems the logical adult response. Making fun of someone who is hurting is behavior that you typically see in very small children who have not yet learned how to respect the feelings of others or the ability to empathize with another person's pain.

Geila
    Rob, I'm sorry to see that you have stepped down from the role of moderator. But if it makes your life easier, then that's a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    What you read as incendiary, I read as a person experiencing some concern, apprehension, and perhaps anxiety about an upcoming event. And I see a person posting about it here in an effort to alleviate those feelings. The fact that the event would not cause concern for you does not mean that the person's concern is invalid. And it certainly does not give you or others license to mock him for his feelings.

We all have our own fears and insecurities that might seem unfounded, exaggerated or silly to others. I'm afraid of heights and I'm claustrophobic. Does that make my genuine fear in those circumstances illegitimate, and therefore cause for ridicule?

Some people also have PTSD or PTSD symptoms arising from traumatic events. I can't imagine mocking someone for it. Compassion and kindness seems the logical adult response. Making fun of someone who is hurting is behavior that you typically see in very small children who have not yet learned how to respect the feelings of others or the ability to empathize with another person's pain.
    Ok, you have valid points, but you are emphasizing the wrong things, in my viewpoint of course. It aint about feelings, people are going to feel the way they feel. Feelings are feelings. We feel our feelz.

What you do with the feelings, the action that you take, that is a different thing. It is the thing that counts, to me anyway.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ok, you have valid points, but you are emphasizing the wrong things, in my viewpoint of course. It aint about feelings, people are going to feel the way they feel. Feelings are feelings. We feel our feelz.

What you do with the feelings, the action that you take, that is a different thing. It is the thing that counts, to me anyway.
    Right, this is your opinion, or judgment, of what the right and wrong things are. I hope you can understand that it doesn't make it a universal fact, it just makes it one person's opinion. And your opinion is not more important or valid than anyone else's.
    Last edited by Geila; 7-23-17 at 5:04pm.

Rob, people need to be able to feel comfortable and fit into their work environment. When people obtain career counseling this is one part that is often ignored. My ex had a BA and MS in Math and could teach yet he hated teaching and working in an office. He quickly realized that the factory work he did to put himself through college was what he liked doing. He is an extreme introvert. So he retrained to become a tool & dye maker. He loved it and made great $. I have some times on this board let my feelings get the best of me and have been unkind and am working on changing that.

All work environments suck (some more than others), work sucks, that's the reality, everyone already knows it really. The only question is can one endure the suck for the paycheck pretty much ... if one needs that paycheck.
    Trees don't grow on money

WEll I for one loved my career. Yes at times the bureaucracy sucked but at times the leadership was great. My ex loved his work also. My DH loves his career and as far as the work environment it has ranged from good to bad. Right now I work p.t. at home doing something I never did until 4 years ago and I totally love it!

Thread Information