Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 223

Thread: Crossing the border next Thursday, a little apprehensive.....

  1. #81
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,873
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Rob, IMO anyway, has given a very different perception of the world as seen through his eyes. We may not like it but we are not walking in his shoes. Others may have very different life experiences.
    TMS, it is easy to add to the 'ignore' list. I have done so for my peace of mind and to protect this site from my irritation with a member's posts.
    Go to Settings (see top right of screen), scroll down to the 'edit ignore list' and add whoever you wish. It works well.
    Thank You for showing some understanding, Razz. I appreciate it. As to the blocking feature, I don't know but it is true that I can't be blocked as a moderator? It seems only fair that for those I am too much for - those folks should get the option to block me if they so wish. I have no problem with that, I only post this as I'm hearing that I can't be blocked as a moderator. Thanks again for your understanding btw. Rob

    PS I came back to add - this street goes two ways. One of the perks of stepping down would be that I - yes, I - get to block a few folks here I'd personally rather not hear from, either. As a moderator, I don't feel it is right to do so, but that's just my take. As a regular participant, I'd have no problem blocking a few people here myself, who of course will remain unnamed. Rob

  2. #82
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,999
    In real life I've found it is possible to ignore people without an "ignore button." The more homogeneous we are as a group, the less interesting our discussions are likely to be. I enjoy a bit of diversity here, and I find that Rob is always civil and brings some different viewpoints to the forum. I'm glad to have you here Rob. I find you to be genuine and sincere, and we don't need to agree on everything. Like Geila, I am taken aback when folks snipe at each other like adolescents.

  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,427
    I find it easy to ignore...no button needed, just don't read the post. I enjoy the different viewpoints on this board and I often think about where other people get their ideas and feelings. sometimes I roll my eyes, but no one can see that! Seeing only words, not hearing the intonations makes misunderstandings more frequent, so I try to not react immediately.

  4. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Thank You for showing some understanding, Razz. I appreciate it. As to the blocking feature, I don't know but it is true that I can't be blocked as a moderator? It seems only fair that for those I am too much for - those folks should get the option to block me if they so wish. I have no problem with that, I only post this as I'm hearing that I can't be blocked as a moderator. Thanks again for your understanding btw. Rob

    PS I came back to add - this street goes two ways. One of the perks of stepping down would be that I - yes, I - get to block a few folks here I'd personally rather not hear from, either. As a moderator, I don't feel it is right to do so, but that's just my take. As a regular participant, I'd have no problem blocking a few people here myself, who of course will remain unnamed. Rob
    Rob, don't take my word about the blocking function--I was just inferring that from previous conversations and I might not be correct about that. Maybe Alan could speak to whether a moderator can be blocked, so we know for sure?

    I think that it's a good function for those who want to use it, but I really hate the sniping and hate it when people on the forum talk about each other in the third person and assert things about others, rather than speaking directly to them. That seems incredibly rude to me, that people start talking about others as though they were not present, and I wish people would stop doing that. And I very much like the way you directly address those who engage with you, and you are unfailingly polite, thank you. And I know you and I have disagreed on some things and agreed on others, but we are a family here, I feel, and should treat each other kindly and with respect.

    Just my two cents, but please check about the blocking of moderators--that was my guess but I am not an expert, lol.

  5. #85
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,128
    The Ignore feature cannot be used on Moderators or Administrators.

    Any moderators or administrators wishing to be ignored, please let me know.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  6. #86
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The Ignore feature cannot be used on Moderators or Administrators.

    Any moderators or administrators wishing to be ignored, please let me know.
    OK then, so now we all know. Why don't I just step down then and become a civilian? This way those who wish to block me can and I can also block a few folks myself. Problem solved. So, to be clear, I publicly step down. I trust that Alan will work his magic and make this change soon and those who wish to not hear from me will soon have their wish. I also trust Alan will make it clear when this change has been effected. Rob

  7. #87
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,128
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    So, to be clear, I publicly step down. I trust that Alan will work his magic and make this change soon and those who wish to not hear from me will soon have their wish. Rob
    Done!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  8. #88
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Done!
    Thank You. No snark - Thank You. Rob

  9. #89
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,128
    One note on the Ignore feature. If another poster quotes a poster you have ignored, you'll still see the quoted part of their post.

    When we went through this discussion some years ago, people claimed that the Ignore feature didn't work because they could still see some of their nemesis's posts when quoted by others.

    Before anyone complains, please know that is how it works and you'll have to put a little more effort into your ignoring.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,075
    Thank you for the instructions Razz.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •