Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Crossing the border next Thursday, a little apprehensive.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Rob - I get it! It's about power. Duh. That's why some people refuse to move on and leave others alone. They need to feel they have the power to control everything and everyone. And being ignored makes them feel powerless. That's why them keep harassing and poking. They need the attention to feed their ego.

Now, the only thing left is to decide whether it's worth it to stick around. I really don't think the culture that's been entrenched here for so long is going to change. Too many people are too vested in maintaining it. And not enough people are willing to challenge it and do the work to change it. You and I alone will not be able to affect change. It would need to be a group effort, and I don't see that happening.
    Geila, Thank again for your support. Are they really still harassing and poking? I have the individuals you speak of on ignore as we all know by now - the way the software is set up is if you choose to ignore someone, you still see that they posted though you don't see their post. You are also given the option to click and poof - you can see what they posted and if you click just below this, you can unblock them if you like. Not doing either at this point so the folks you speak of - I don't know what they have posted since I blocked them. And really don't care to know, either.

About sticking around - only you can decide that, to be honest. I still maintain there are some good people here but these good people tend to be the more quiet ones and one tip is they tend not to post much or ever in Simple Public Policy. And it might be wise for me to avoid that area too, if I am going to be honest here. I agree however that negative dynamic you refer to? I don't believe it's going to change overall with the current folks entrenched, but then again no one says you have to be part of this negative dynamic. I'm not giving up but I'm like that....stubborn as hell. Chalk it up to life in my zip code ROTFLMAO.

And I agree it's about power to some degree, and egos. I'm getting now why so many people over time have left this board.....the dynamic is crystal clear to me now. Took long enough, but it's crystal clear now. Rob

PS But once again, there are good people here - a few stood up for me earlier, such as yourself though you were not the only one....there are good and sincere people here, too....I just feel the need very strongly to state this.

PS Geila, based on your posts I thought you might understand this and find it funky. If you click on your profile, one of the features on your profile page is that it displays the usernames of the last ten people who visited your page. So I have an inquiring mind, right? I looked at the last ten people to visit my page and EVERY ONE of the people I have put on ignore is listed there! WTH??? I don't get it as it's been made crystal clear that the option to block me is wide open and available now that I am no longer a moderator. Go figure!!! Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 7-25-17 at 3:03pm.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    My question for you and for the board is - where do we draw the line, as individuals and as society? Good question and not an easy one, is it?
    It's an easy one for me. I'm a free speech absolutist. Insult my mother. Mock my faith. Burn my flag. Impugn my motivations. Crap on my certitudes. Any amount of discomfort or disrespect is a small price to pay for the freedom to say whatever erupts from my tiny mind.

The SJWs, moral majoritarians and bluenoses of all persuasions who want to censor and shame the rest of us into conformity are welcome to speak their piece, but they're just one aisle of stalls in the marketplace of ideas.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Sorry, Alan, I don't follow you here. Rob
    Rob - His reply is not meant as constructive dialogue, it's meant as sarcastic put down. Because you are earnest and sincere (and assume others are as well), you will ask him what he means, and he will coyly string you along with more sarcasm. It's a game designed to make him feel better at your expense.

While we do get annoyed at times, this is a good site so please let's not bash it. It helped me learn about things that I needed as it has others. Support has been provided for those who are facing a change or challenge in their life. Insights have been amazing and tech advice is always appreciated by this non-techie.
    Let it go please and appreciate what is good and useful. A number of members have come on to say that they lurked so lack of posts is not indicative of interest.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Rob - His reply is not meant as constructive dialogue, it's meant as sarcastic put down. Because you are earnest and sincere (and assume others are as well), you will ask him what he means, and he will coyly string you along with more sarcasm. It's a game designed to make him feel better at your expense.
    I'm starting to understand this, yes. At least I'm above such behavior for the most part....I'm sure that over the course of my 10 plus years here I've sunk to it at some point - I'm no saint. But this here is really uncalled for and solves nothing.....Rob

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    While we do get annoyed at times, this is a good site so please let's not bash it. It helped me learn about things that I needed as it has others. Support has been provided for those who are facing a change or challenge in their life. Insights have been amazing and tech advice is always appreciated by this non-techie.
    Let it go please and appreciate what is good and useful. A number of members have come on to say that they lurked so lack of posts is not indicative of interest.
    Thank You for the positive words regarding the site. Rob

I am suggesting that if someone bothers you, that you simply not engage with them. Why is that hard to understand? If someone posts, and you already know that you don't agree with that person's world view, just ignore the post. And go about your own business, posting whatever you feel like posting about. Isn't that how online sites are set up?

No it isn't. A moderator/administrator, while you may be able to use the ignore function between the ears, if they ask a question and your ignoring them, has the power to ban or cause you to be unable to post, as well as the ability to edit your posts. When they go threatening to do such, for you and them disagreeing, it is time to step down.

I was on one board where the the founder of the board, resigned when the designer of the equipment the board was about, started banning due to people (including myself) quoting their posts about when this or that product would be available. People were making financial decisions based on those posts and that poster was stringing them along. That board is mostly silent now, with every once in a while that supplier wants to have a what do you want next discussion, which brings back the old posts.
    It is a kind of Napoleon complex.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I hear you razz. You've always been a very positive presence here and I respect your opinion. I think it is easier for you to ignore because you have never been the target. By 'letting it go' we condone behavior that is hurtful to others. I'm not willing to do that. We all have the right to our value system. One of my values is that I do not condone or participate in behavior that is hurtful to others or that takes advantage of someone's good nature. And I'm not willing to be part of a community that does so. If that means I miss out on the positive elements of this community, then that is the price I'm willing to pay. Everyone gets to make their own choices on this. My conversation with Rob and others here is my way of living my values. I think the conversation is winding down and Rob and I will be able to move on pretty soon. I feel good that I've stood up for Rob and that he knows that he is valued by some of the members here. That has made this whole thing worthwhile. And I think he and I have both had some new insights to boot!

Sarcasm is something that penetrates into the brain of Rob, and that has a chance of him getting it. Otherwise, there is a blank stare as stuff is so far beyond his ability to grasp.
    You want an example, see post number 85 and then go read post 199, part A.

I hear you razz. You've always been a very positive presence here and I respect your opinion. I think it is easier for you to ignore because you have never been the target. By 'letting it go' we condone behavior that is hurtful to others. I'm not willing to do that. We all have the right to our value system. One of my values is that I do not condone or participate in behavior that is hurtful to others or that takes advantage of someone's good nature. And I'm not willing to be part of a community that does so. If that means I miss out on the positive elements of this community, then that is the price I'm willing to pay. Everyone gets to make their own choices on this. My conversation with Rob and others here is my way of living my values. I think the conversation is winding down and Rob and I will be able to move on pretty soon. I feel good that I've stood up for Rob and that he knows that he is valued by some of the members here. That has made this whole thing worthwhile. And I think he and I have both had some new insights to boot!
    Thank You, Geila, Thank You very much. It is nice to know that there are those who value me here. Yes indeed. Rob

Thread Information