Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossing the border next Thursday, a little apprehensive.....

I think people who claim to like their work are for the most part really good at lying to themselves :P I mean yea endure it as best one can sure, but no point in pretending one loves it. "oh yes boss, I so love meeting your every whim ..."
    Trees don't grow on money

The reason many people hate their work is because they needed $ so took a job and then just kept doing the same kind of work without looking at what they wanted to do. When I was in grad school the studies bear this out. I trained for many years to do something I wanted to do. I also picked my career in my thirties so was more mature. We were lucky that we were frugal and my ex worked a lot of overtime so we could pay cash for my college and then in grad school I got scholarships, etc because my grades were so good. In my early 20's I did clerical work which I did not love. I decided that I was not going to spend my life doing something I did not want to do. I am still teaching my college class at 63 because I love it. The best feeling in the world is when I get a email from a student thanking me for working with them and helping them to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Right, this is your opinion, or judgment, of what the right and wrong things are. I hope you can understand that it doesn't make it a universal fact, it just makes it one person's opinion. And your opinion is not more important or valid than anyone else's.
    Sure, it is my opinion. Opinion isnt fact.

But there are plenty of opinions that are not valid. Leaving Rob's POV aside for the moment, surely you will admit that there are opinions that have no validity. Those are crank ideas. The opinion that "We Never Went to the Moon" (one of the most requested titles in my library's holdings) is one such crank idea.

There are many political opinions I dont hold but can respect. They are valid, just not mine. Those other opinions come about because the holder of those opinons emphasize different aspects of life than those I emphsize. But then, there are the fringe lunitic ideas that do not deserve to be respected.

the reason many people hate their work is because they needed $ so took a job and then just kept doing the same kind of work without looking at what they wanted to do.
    they may decide it's simply not worth a decade of working full time and going to school to get anything better, which is in reality about the only way for it to happen, is to do the hour or two of commute to work, working 40 or more hours a week, and night school. And maybe work is just not that important (sacrilege!), that better work should preclude a social life (and let's be honest while they might be able to work full time and take one class at a time and have a social life - and that will be a decade or quite possibly more - anymore classes than that at a time and they won't) , because maybe a social life is actually more beneficial in some ways. And that's assuming the better work is actually better, which isn't something one can know entirely ahead of time either, it's a bet that it will be better that actual experience could still show otherwise.

Going to college is a lot of work and many people do not want to do the work that is involved. So they complain about their job. Ever since my kids have grown up I have a great social life. I had less of one when they were young because they kept me busy when not going to college or working. IL: one of the craziest things is when people say the shooting that killed those small kids did not happen. M. Kelly interviewed this guy about it and I did not watch it because it is just stupid.

So make yourself completely dead inside to pursue abstract goals pretty much (but you can call the feelings of deadness "working hard for goals").

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    So make yourself completely dead inside to pursue abstract goals pretty much (but you can call the feelings of deadness "working hard for goals").
    Or, you can actually enjoy the work you do. Thats another option. Here, "you" is the generic you.

Being a victim is not my cup of tea!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Going to college is a lot of work and many people do not want to do the work that is involved. So they complain about their job. Ever since my kids have grown up I have a great social life. I had less of one when they were young because they kept me busy when not going to college or working. IL: one of the craziest things is when people say the shooting that killed those small kids did not happen. M. Kelly interviewed this guy about it and I did not watch it because it is just stupid.
    yes, that is another crank opinion that does not deserve respect. The Westboro Baptist Church people, another crank group (although now completely understandable, its all about the money.)

being self-righteous is not my cup of tea! Probably is on most people's list of most irritating traits. Victim hood or self-righteousness while both might be irritating the later is more so.

Thread Information