Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossing the border next Thursday, a little apprehensive.....

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    IL, IL, IL - if it were anyone else other than you posting this (as I truly believe you mean well and I've posted that many times in the past) I'd be horribly offended. As it is in your case, all I am going to do is state that I married for love and not a reverse green card. I've always had a thing for the Hispanic culture and way of life way before I ever met my husband - this dates back to the first time I fled America to see a Mexican doctor at the age of 12.....I remember being so grateful that Mexico existed, even back then. If you can't understand this, my non-snarky advice to you is to be grateful....something I've learned over the years in the United States is that unless you are in the .05, not even the 1%, you too are vulnerable to the United States - being brutally knocked off your financial perch by forces you have no hope to control. Be glad this has not happened in your case and be glad you are not able to understand the wisdom of my words - please do understand that millions of American citizens exist that DO understand the wisdom of my words, however. There is no snark meant here, just unsolicited life advice from the 85006. To be fair, there is probably life advice you could give me in return that I would be unable to understand as it would not apply in my social class - I get that this street goes two ways, and the fact that I understand that it does? I didn't know this one at 8 or 12 or 14 - I was 38 when this one dawned on me - I was not quick on the uptake on this one as it does not involve direct economic survival to understand this.

About the "Man Up" - no offense meant here, either, OK? I have a blanket policy of "No" when faced with anyone (though it's 95% women in my experience) saying "man up" - I don't do shaming tactics directed on getting me back on the plantation of society. No exceptions, no excuses, no justifications - I don't respond to "man up" period, your answer is a calm, non-snarky "no". No offense meant and perhaps you do not mean it the way I see it as coming across - fair enough. Your answer is still no - as a male (even as a gay male) I am morally obligated to reject terminology such as "man up". No hard feelings, though, OK? I don't meant to offend here, just to explain that this is probably the least effective phrase you could ever use on me. You'd have better luck getting me to sing the praises of turbo charged capitalism (and we all know my take on THAT, don't need to rinse, lather and repeat on this one at this point LOL, do I?) than ever expecting "Man Up" to work on me.

And here's something really cool, as a side note. I have been in touch with some straight men from my high school days I reconnected with after my high school reunion back in October 2014 - one of the talks if you want to call it that was having a guys night out at a cheap pizza place in the 85016 (nicer zip code but not extreme by any means) and that was one of the topics - women and/or society pulling this shaming tactic on men about quote unquote "manning up". I certainly can not speak for all straight men here - this is a tiny subset of straight men, I get that - but this tiny subset also says an automatic blanket "no" when faced with the shaming phrase of "man up" especially coming from a woman/women. For the exact same reasons I give in regards to this.

I just wanted to pass this along as it's unrelated to this board, that's true, but it's something important to the men's rights movement that I am (sort of) a part of - you'all know by now what my main causes are, no need at this time to repeat them. Anyways, IL, no hard feelings, ok? Who knows, perhaps there is male here lurking that will be inspired by my words and google such and learn something - it's possible......Rob
    Thanks for the lecture.

I suppose "Grow a Pair!" is equally unacceptable.

Too bad, I like both of them. Certainly I can see the sexist tinge of each. But I will say that both phrases are used on a site I frequent which has 99% female participatin, and it is said about females because that is 99% of the subjects we talk aboit. Anyway.

"Put on your big girl panties" is another phrase in the same vein as the other two. It is funny, but now is overused and it is probably time to retire it. I was once in a neighborhood meeting where the alderperson ( note my lack of gender reveal) suggested that some people in the neighborhood needed to put on their big girl panites and accept something that was taking place in the neighborhood. One man stood up and shouted about sexist language and how shocked and angry he was about that, and he stormed out. That guy needed to put on his big boy tightie whities because the female alderman was just being real.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Are you capable of understanding this is a two way street? For my part, I see a whole lot of judgement and have since day one of your responding to my posts - not that judgement in and of itself is such a horrible thing, mind you - it's the spirit and tone of it in regards to my posts that is problematic. Honestly? If my posts are so offensive to you, isn't there a blocking feature here? I'm sure Alan would be glad to help you block me if my posts are so upsetting for you and I'd be all for this, too. What possible purpose does it serve for you to read my posts if they rile you up so much? One final remark - Once again, this street goes two ways. Rob
    Not sure if you have mental issue, but you clearly have a comprehension problem!

Why, is an actual question asked, that you failed to grasp and respond to. You choose to complain about someones use of language.

As for blocking, you have had that explained to you multiple times. By asking for Alan, I think you are hereby asking for him to remedy the problem, which involved the taking away of your moderator title.
    If you still don't get that, you need to go click on your user preferences and click on the ignore function. I get that you have stated in other posts, that your not computer literate, and that is a reason that when Alan took ownership of the board, moderators authority to do things was revoked. They did things wrong, that it was screwing up the back end of the forum, and it was facing danger of failure/data/post loss.
    Alan, gimme is asking you for his moderator status to be removed here!
    Last edited by ToomuchStuff; 7-22-17 at 1:59pm. Reason: Typo I just noticed. Wrong person listed.

Your request for moderator removal for ignore functions has been passed on to Alan.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I see a whole lot of blathering, complaining about a term, a few no's, but no answer as to WHY (you know the actual question) not move to Mexico.
    This from an "honest" person who took a job that involved wiretapping, thinks they are a detailed writer and fails to answer that detail.
    I never took any job that involved wiretapping - at least not in the Nixon era sense of the word. I did however take one secret shopper assignment that involved getting my teeth cleaned for free while using a hidden recording device, completely authorized by the dental facility in which I was secret shopping. As to being a detailed writer - I get very high scores on my secret shop reports, often 10/10, when not, usually 9/10. Maybe I'm not Ernest Hemingway but my command of the English language is adequate, no? I believe most here would agree with this much. As to moving to Mexico - I will remain here as long as my Mother is with us - after that, providing I outlive her - I throw this last in as I've lost several classmates from my high school days already and I know that tomorrow is not guaranteed - and then I will go. We're thinking Querataro....fairly safe and a nice climate and a low cost of living, even for Mexico. Rob

So you recorded people in the waiting room and any conversations they had at the dental office? What about on the way there or back (did you turn on and off the recorder).
    Here, that is legally wiretapping and a crime.

Yppej
    I heard recently the phrase, "Everyone needs to put on their big kid garments." Any way it's phrased the meaning is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    "Put on your big girl panties" is another phrase in the same vein as the other two. It is funny, but now is overused and it is probably time to retire it.

That phrase, has another funny meaning for me.

So you recorded people in the waiting room and any conversations they had at the dental office? What about on the way there or back (did you turn on and off the recorder).
    Here, that is legally wiretapping and a crime.
    Arizona, where I live, is a one party state. Please don't believe me and google this yourself to verify. What one party state essentially means is that you can be recorded in public legally at any time without your knowledge - only only party has to consent, meaning the person recording/videotaping. We could debate for hours the ethics behind this, I will give you that, but the law in Arizona (and other one party states, Arizona is far from the only one party state) is clear. Once again, please don't believe me and google this yourself to verify. Should you have issues with this one party law, this is beyond the scope of my life - please contact the appropriate representatives and voice your stance/concerns. Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 7-22-17 at 6:01pm.

I remember that thread. You decided not to answer anymore when it was brought up that the doctors office isn't public, but a private office where patients have a right to privacy and Hipaa expectations.
    You still recorded.

I remember that thread. You decided not to answer anymore when it was brought up that the doctors office isn't public, but a private office where patients have a right to privacy and Hipaa expectations.
    You still recorded.
    And such is still legal in Arizona. Once again, please google this to verify from a source other than myself. At this point I am going to cease responding to your posts as we seem to go in circles with nothing resolved. Out of respect to the other posters here I will cease responding to your posts from this point forward. My take is that such is for the best for all of us and more than that, for the board itself. Rob

Thread Information