Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossing the border next Thursday, a little apprehensive.....

For planes crossing the border they really just require us to file a flight plan and call them and give them a time we will be arriving. We also have to land at a airport that has customs. Generally it's no big deal.

The bahamas just want money, you even have to pay to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    We get asked for our zip codes also. They must be profiling us by our social class.
    Yes,for when the pitchforks come out.

It's easy to be flip when it's not you (or your spouse) who is subject to the whims of a wannabe dictator.

Pastor Niemoller's famous quote is well worth revisiting from time to time.
    I hope your return trip is uneventful.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 7-21-17 at 10:36am.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Apologize, not possible in this karma. While it is possible that I may emerge emerged unscathed from this experience, crossing my fingers, there are many documented cases of US CBP going too far and breaking the law via harrassment and excessive detainment with no access to communications devices, bathrooms, or food for their victims, much like any third world country that Americans might look down on. No can apologize.....I live in a zip code where too many have had nasty issues with US CBP while in the country completely legally. But I am of cource hoping for the best with this border crossing. I do have white skin so this much is on my side with the racist US CBP, and I do speak fluent English and I also dont intimidate for any government official. I do not escalate things, either, but I do not intimidate. Best is saying as litttle as possible and remembering everything wrong with this country and looking them right in the eye while remembering it. Rob
    You have demanded people here, apologize for things you have perceived to be against you, shouldn't you practice what you preach, when your wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It's easy to be flip when it's not you (or your spouse) who is subject to the whims of a wannabe dictator.

This isn't 1937.

Trump isn't the Fuhrer.

#Resistance isn't the Resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

But if it is all so threatening, why doesnt Rob leave? Surely his new spouse has some pull in Mexico. It isnt beyond the pale to wonder if Rob's marriage is a reverse Green Card marriage, the Mexican equivalent given his penchant for moving out of this country. Why not take advantage of that Mexican "in."

Instead, we get constant griping.

Man up. Leave, already.

Safe travels and safe return, Rob.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    For planes crossing the border they really just require us to file a flight plan and call them and give them a time we will be arriving. We also have to land at a airport that has customs. Generally it's no big deal.

The bahamas just want money, you even have to pay to leave.
    I went to to Paradise Island for my honeymoon and they tried to slap all sorts of fees on my hotel bill when I went to check out. I argued and argued and finally they removed them.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Well, I'm back. And I'm stunned. I'd love to go on and on about how I was mistreated by US CBP but I am an honest person and will tell it as it is/was. This was the easiest border crossing I have had in years. Seriously. It would fit much better into my narrative were that not the case, true, but it was a very easy and low stress crossing and I'm very grateful for that. One of my friends was grilled excessively (but crossed at a different time and I was not there to see it though I believe them) but I was not. Of course I don't expect similar in the future but it was nice to run across this - not being treated like a criminal and not being asked fifty questions in rapid fire succession in an effort to trip me up and make me nervous.

The last time this happened I point blank stated that I refused to answer questions in this format and that I refused to be intimidated. The officer glared at me and I looked him straight back in the eye, remembering all my fears of the United States and how health care is doled out by social class (at least until ObamaCare and I'd argue this is still the case but the lower classes get a better deal now in the states that Expanded Medicaid) and how the rule of law is applied unequally dependent upon skin color and social class. The officer blinked and looked away first, as the eye contact became very intense but I refused to back down and yield out of respect to all who have ever suffered due to America. It was on the edge of escalating but I kept my cool and refused to be provoked.

That was the time before this time - this time I lucked out and got a human being for a Customs officer and I'm grateful to see that such still exists at the border. So, at any rate, this crossing was easy and low stress with no conflict. Color me grateful for this much. Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 7-22-17 at 11:15am.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Safe travels and safe return, Rob.
    Tybee, Thank You for your kindness. Rob

Thread Information