Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kondo Project

Geila

Kondo Project

I'm in the process of Kondoing the last part of my house - a hallway closet that has been the dumping ground for all things misc. And I think this is why I've been running out of steam this week - the current parts of my projects entail decision making. What to keep, toss, purge, donate... so tiring. Whereas the previous two weeks was all mindless work. Nothing to decide, just simple work.

So far I've taken almost everything out and sorted by type. And I've got a basket of "what to do with?" items that I should really just donate and be done with. But I keep thinking I'll use this stuff in a project. Except I haven't. I've got lots of pretty fabric ribbons, assorted knick knacks, candles, etc...

This is also the case in my garage section work. Not fun. I miss the mindless work that gave me a good sweaty workout without any mental stress.

Anyone else doing any Kondo work right now?

Yppej
    I organized an area of my car that holds miscellaneous items - small and easy. You are much more ambitious.

Geila
    @Yppej - I've been putting this off for a long time, so not as ambitious as it seems.

This closet is a black hole. I can't believe how much toothpaste and q-tips we had in there.

And shampoo/conditioner. Does anyone know how long shampoo is safe to keep?

I was thinking of saving it to use on my dogs, but know I'm wondering if it would be safe. I'm thinking the products are at least 18 months old. Some are opened and some are not.

Yppej
    I ignore expiration dates with rare exceptions like milk. One of my disappointments was finding my favorite store that sold expired products just across the border in Live Free or Die NH closed. They have other locations but they're too far away. If anyone knows of stores like this in Massachusetts please post them.

All the bits and pieces- I just filled two bags and threw them in the donate pile! They've been moved from pillar to post for Years, no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    @Yppej - I've been putting this off for a long time, so not as ambitious as it seems.

This closet is a black hole. I can't believe how much toothpaste and q-tips we had in there.

And shampoo/conditioner. Does anyone know how long shampoo is safe to keep?

I was thinking of saving it to use on my dogs, but know I'm wondering if it would be safe. I'm thinking the products are at least 18 months old. Some are opened and some are not.
    I don't think much can happen to it, except some ingredients might settle. When I'm using something old like that (lotion, conditioner, etc.) I skin test a little bit on my arm just in case it's changed in some unpleasant way. Don't know if this makes sense or not, but i find it comforting!

I wouldn't use human shampoos on dogs. The formula is too acidic for a dog's skin.

Geila
    Hall closet finished. Tossed out about 50% in trash and recycle (lots of packaging material). Will donate about 25%. The remaining 25% is nicely stored in matching baskets and organized for easy access. I'm always amazed at how little I end up keeping every time I do a round of Kondo. I'm going to take the doors off to encourage a nice display. I have lots of empty space now. Dh calls it 'wasted space' and I tell him, 'no, I'm saving it!"

I'm just going to throw out all the shampoo bottles. If I haven't used it, I'm not going to. I cut my hair super short and now I just use Suave Daily clarifying instead of all those moisterizing ones.

Congratulations, Geila! Good work!

My dh always says "I'm using it to store air. I like to have a lot of air in the house."

Thread Information