Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for at estate sales?

What do you look for at estate sales?

I realized this week that I have mental list of what we look for at estate sales. Right now, it includes
    copper pots and pans
    Dansk salad bowls
    metal sprinklers (DH) and hoses
    nails and fence staples
    wooden wine barrel for biodynamic water prep
    a foldable high chair
    old watches
    old sewing notions
    yarn
    knitting books and needles
    a wooden cookstove

What do you all look for?

The nearest exits--estate sales make me feel like a ghoul. I've been to a couple.
    That said, I have a friend who sells on Etsy who likes ephemera and kitsch.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The nearest exits--estate sales make me feel like a ghoul. I've been to a couple.
    That said, I have a friend who sells on Etsy who likes ephemera and kitsch.
    Sorry, around here they use that term even for the living! But I should have said "garage" or "yard" sale!

Sorry, cant help, I dont go to estate sales any more, I am done collecting general household stuff.

But I will go to an estate sale if the owner was a flower show person. That last sale I attended was the household of somene who had many Ikebana containers and th flower show lasies bought most of them. I also bought her rolling carts and immersion blender. I had been wanting to try an immersion blender.

Everything. I love a good rummage sale or auction. I can't do that anymore. For now at least. Maybe later, with supervision.

i do hunt thrift stores for immersion blenders. I use them "off label" in the pottery studio and classroom and burn one out every couple of years.

That's so interesting that immersion blenders are popular. I like your point about "off label" uses, and I like that about finding things at rummage sales, you can experiment and you are only out a dollar!

Geila
    I don't go to yard/garage/thrift sales anymore because it was hard to resist buying stuff I don't need. I do enjoy going to the auction every few years. Our local one usually has about 500 pieces at each event and it's fun to look. They usually have very good quality stuff. Hardest for me to resist are well-made, lightweight pieces of furniture. Here is a sampling of what they have available this weekend:
    http://www.dgwauctioneers.com/auctionCurrent.htm

I like these chairs (I can totally see them paired with the Ikea Docksta table):

Those would be very cool with Doksta!

Oh, well then..
    Art supplies, jewelry supplies, non-shlocky rubber stamps
    fabric, paper, ephemera
    Instant Pot-sized accessories (steamers, stackable pans)
    Basically the same items I look for at thrift stores

Just about everything since we are having to re-acquire things for setting up a new household. Garden and lawn tools, furniture, mirrors...I could write a chapter on all the stuff we unloaded before moving thinking that we were "simplifying" but that we should have kept. Practical things like coat hangers, hardware, tools etc that we have had to go out and buy again.

Thread Information