Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give it a Hundred (or 20 or 30 ...) - January 2019

Give it a Hundred (or 20 or 30 ...) - January 2019

In August 2017, a few of us on this board were inspired by the video at the link below. It's the story of a woman who went to the gym 100 times to try to get herself out of a rut. I saw it when George Takei posted it on Facebook along with the question, "What would you like to do 100 times?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5FkshLcNLQ

Her video was part of a larger movement online called "Give it 100" which, as far as I can tell, is now defunct.

I decided what I wanted to do 100 times was work on my fiction writing at least 30 minutes a day. The times do NOT need to be consecutive. Since I knew I would miss a lot of days here and there, I was aiming to complete my 100 days by January 15 2018, but because I wanted a certain number of the days to be one-hour or two-hour days I actually ended up doing 110 times in order to meet those goals and finished them in mid-March 2018.

Others joined in at various points - nswef has counted times of a certain number of steps a day and I think has also counted days doing 15 minutes of decluttering and/or some writing. Chicken Lady got 30 days in her studio at one point and has also counted swimming and various housekeeping/decluttering tasks.

Anyway, if anybody else wants to join in for 20, 30, 100 or however many times of something, please do!

Doing 100 days of working on my fiction writing was so transformative for me that I am now doing a second 100 which I started last April. I'm on #90 and am hoping to finish this 100 this month and then start on a third 100.

ok, I'm in for 52 days in which I spend at least 3 hours working on our upstairs - organizing/cleaning/moving inventory, over the next year. My aim is to have an organized storage room and a small guest room, plus most of the crap out of our larger guest room. We are slowly getting rid of my parents huge inventory of antiques and glassware. While it's fun and pays for a lot of extras, it's work, and it takes up space. Currently it's all crammed upstairs and I can't get to most of it, especially in the smaller box room. It's tucked away and easy to just shove things in and slam the door. My idea is to get it all organized in the room that we all walk through to get to the 2nd floor bath, so there will be more of an incentive to keep it organized and somewhat tidy. Not pretty, but useful! Last week we took down the tree and got it dragged into the field, cleaned up the mess, and put the living room furniture back, so didn't work upstairs - I'm starting out behind, lol.

Welcome, early morning!

That sounds like a good goal. Good luck, and keep us posted.

We got our tree out to the recycling/trash pick-up spot last night, but I've only dealt with half of the remaining mess (needles, etc.).

I've completed 92 times of this 100 on my writing.

Well, I've chalked up ONE day and have 51 to go, lol. I'm revising it to every 3 hours worked counting as a "day", as I realize that I have very few days that have a three hour window to stark chucking stuff around in - at least when I'm not too tired and it's not too dark! The current lighting in the store room is abysmal.

Great on the writing, ejchase - that's a lot of days! Are you writing one book or short stories (if you don't mind my asking)?

I'm checking in here to brag! I just finished my 200th day of writing since Feb. 1, 2018. In the time period I have completed 5 picture book manuscripts, hooked up with a critique partner -we meet in person about once a month and she has been an invaluable inspiration. I submitted one manuscript 10 times and 2 others 2 times each. Many rejections, but I put them out there. This Jan. I joined 12 x 12 challenge- a paid group on line to improve my writing. I signed up for a SCBWI (Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators.) conference and paid for a professional critique of my favorite manuscript. I am very pleased with my progress and my enthusiasm for improving my craft. Thanks ej for the original give a 100 where you talked of writing! I hadn't thought to do it for writing, just cleaning. Can't say I have 200 days of cleaning!

That’s great progress!

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Well, I've chalked up ONE day and have 51 to go, lol. I'm revising it to every 3 hours worked counting as a "day", as I realize that I have very few days that have a three hour window to stark chucking stuff around in - at least when I'm not too tired and it's not too dark! The current lighting in the store room is abysmal.

Great on the writing, ejchase - that's a lot of days! Are you writing one book or short stories (if you don't mind my asking)?

Good for you, early morning, for making the adjustments you need to. I find with a lot of these challenges, I need to revise my original goals to make them more doable.

I'm writing short stories, but may be heading into a group of "linked" short stories that could maybe eventually be a book. Yesterday, I completed #97 of my second hundred!

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I'm checking in here to brag! I just finished my 200th day of writing since Feb. 1, 2018. In the time period I have completed 5 picture book manuscripts, hooked up with a critique partner -we meet in person about once a month and she has been an invaluable inspiration. I submitted one manuscript 10 times and 2 others 2 times each. Many rejections, but I put them out there. This Jan. I joined 12 x 12 challenge- a paid group on line to improve my writing. I signed up for a SCBWI (Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators.) conference and paid for a professional critique of my favorite manuscript. I am very pleased with my progress and my enthusiasm for improving my craft. Thanks ej for the original give a 100 where you talked of writing! I hadn't thought to do it for writing, just cleaning. Can't say I have 200 days of cleaning!
    Wow! This is AMAZING! Thank you so much for sharing all this. It is so inspiring! You are my role model!

What with the snow cancelling my volunteer work on Sat, I have 3 days chalked up, and 48 to go, lol. we broke down a lot of old boxes and actually filled the huge recycle bin for a change. I'm beginning to see some floor in the store room!

Good for you, early morning!

I have to say each of my batches of 100 times of writing have taken longer than I initially expected, but both of have gotten DONE, which is the most important thing. Today, in fact, I finally completed the second 100!

Also, early morning, I totally recommend the new Marie Kondo Netflix show for decluttering/organizing inspiration. In the first episode, the couple doesn't have much clutter, but in the second episode, they really do, and it's very inspiring to see them tackling it. I've been working on doing 40 hours of decluttering every winter and summer when I get a break from teaching, and one thing I've discovered for the first 25 hours or so, I'm just totally overwhelmed and in despair. But right around that 25 hour mark, I gain a certain amount of momentum, and the last 15 hours are actually fun. So hang in there!

Thread Information