Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Daily Bread

Since we were glassblowers our house and gardens are full of glass. I love looking outside right now and around the little pond in the front yard we have glass orbs on copper stakes at various levels. Each colored orb is wearing a hat of snow. So pretty!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Some things are so prolific in our lives that you never think about them but they have profound meaning. Numbers, for instance. Say the word and look at it long enough and it even looks foreign and strange. But take numbers out of your life and well....you have no life. You’re saying, “Really, you are going to write about numbers?” Yep.

This thought came to me as I was driving to the gym this morning at 6am. My first run in with a number was the bathroom scale. That number had the power to depress me.....190.5. Then the thermometer outside...29? Not bad. On my way out the drive I stuck to the 15 mph speed zone and on my dash there were numbers all over. The gasoline was selling at 289.9 this morning. It annoys me they don’t just display 2.90.

I set my exercise bike at 11 and started pumping. Every day I do 35 minutes, 7.50 miles and expend 280 calories. I do crank up the resistance twice to 12 and 13. I don’t like to overdo anything so my leg presses go from 70 to 80 to 90 to 100. The hip and thigh machine....60.

By the time I leave it’s 7:20am. Back home I put exactly 2.5 cups of water in the coffee pot and 3 scoops of coffee. Thus far, on any normal day, I have not given 1 thought to numbers. But today for some reason it doesn’t escape me that they are not simply Hindu- Arabic numerals from AD 700......they are language ...communication.

My daughter is a bank auditor. She lives her life around numbers and it’s not a coincidence that she is the most frugal person I know. It’s obvious she thinks about numbers more than I do. Literally everything we do is defined by numbers. Checking out at Walmart....that bottom number was over 100 last time. Ordering on Amazon....my credit card number is memorized. The obituaries, wow....she died young? How much is in my retirement account? With all these numbers it’s not at all clear why I don’t count numbers jumping over the fence at night in my dreams.

THe powerball is 78 million, I baked my pumpkin pies at 425 for 15 minutes and then reduced the oven temperature to 350 for 45 minutes. It’s the 19th of January, 2018.

I remember as a child figuring out how old my parents would be when I was say, 60....65... And then thinking they probably won’t be around. I tried to imagine being able to hit a homerun 350 ft. Or drive the Mustang 95 mph.

Sometimes numbers are just plain torture. How many times had I seen this in the eyes of motorists? “I stopped you for going 85 mph. The speed limit is 65 on the Interstate.”

Wednesday I was looking at a spreadsheet that had all the pertinent numbers for the budget of the HOA while sitting at the meeting listening to the treasure drone on about the numbers. There was the snow removal, the reserve fund, the clubhouse utilities. Mercifully, my phone rang and I stepped out.

“Hello.... Yeah Sweetheart........stage 2...........what’s that mean?”