Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Bread

Nice post. Comedy can be silly British humor, like Monty Python--my favorite religious comedy bit is from Spamalot--or can be more pointed social commentary, George Carlin or Louis C.K. or John Stewart. It's such a fine line to walk. What was acceptable in earlier days--like the shows you mentioned as well as All in the Family--is now verboten. But comedy is an extremely important tool for both entertainment and thought. I was very interested in the philosophy of comedy in my high school/early college years, and I think it's because I spent my whole first 12 years never laughing, but when my life was normalized in my teens, I never stopped laughing.

I'm going to read the article in the link you posted. I will always look on the bright side of life--even if it comes with the pain of awareness.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

WS, I had not seen that episode, or portion of, as I am not a great Monty Python fan, but that scene is priceless. I enjoyed Catherine's scene as well. Maybe I need to go back and look at the Monty Python with a fresh perspective. Thanks for my laughs for the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    My formative years occurred in the late 1960s, by that I mean my indoctrination. Lots of good concepts were taught me, and on the contrary lots of paranoia was doled out about other religions, other races, other ethnicities and vices like sex, gambling, and rock and roll. The way I look at it now, I was under the grip of unrelenting dogmatism regarding these matters for a very long time...well into the early 1970s. But a strange thing happened. I started to think.

Laughter and comedy was pretty much limited to “clean” jokes. Freddy the Freeloader a character created by Red Skelton comes to mind. I did love the way Red always turned comedy into a lesson on goodness and purity. But I discovered that comedy is not always “clean” or politically correct. And I also learned that listening to unapproved comedy could get me in trouble with those who defined the boundaries. My thinking probably began in the mid 1970s about the time I discovered Monty Pythons Flying Circus and belatedly learned about Mel Brooks’ “Blazing Saddles”.

The Church, for all its good activity, fell short of its mark when it came to tolerance and being threatened by irreverence. They had some evil sounding names for the kind of comedy that was critical of hypocrisy. Blasphemy carried some weight in Official Church circles as did Backsliding and unforgivable sins of speaking against the Holy Spirit. I suppose they still do, though I don’t run with that crowd nowadays. It reminds me of the Islamamic idea of infidels.

In any event, I just read an article in the American Thinker titled, “In a World Where Everyone’s Offended By Everything, Can Comedy Exist?” Link below.

It discusses the movie Blazing Saddles and the television cartoon show, the Simpsons. There are plenty of “offensive” scenarios in the movie and the cartoon but are we to the point where a movie like Blazing Saddles with its farcing of racism and Monty Pythons Life Of Brian with its irreverence for the crucifixtion of Christianity could never be made. Would anyone dare to make a comedy of the sacraments of Islam? Could we make fun of gays and lesbians and laugh at it?

Who’s “vision of culture” must comedy conform to? I have gone back and forth about the best comedic movie I’ve seen. Is it Blazing Saddles with the black Sheriff or Life of Brian with the crowds of followers and lampooning of religious idolatry?

A relatively obscure comic died this year. Barry Crimmins. As a child he was sexually abused by a priest. He took this experience to the stage with him. He never was politically correct and never pulled punches. I didn’t always agree with his politics but I thought I could always laugh at his jokes. There’s a nice documentary on him on Netflix called, “Call Me Lucky.” I would be nice if we could all just loosen the belt a little and quit being so “offended.”

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...edy_exist.html

As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    Is it just a “matter of time before people get pitchforks and torches?”

Can the richest country on the face of the earth afford universal healthcare, free college and investment in infrastructure? Do we still live in a democracy or is it an oligarchy run by corporate elitists? Do they have access to any healthcare that they want, do their kids go to college, do they fly anywhere they want anytime? Have they become so rich they lost empathy for the poor? Has the disparity in wealth distribution reached a tipping point? Has the spending on military finally bankrupted the nation?

Do you think enough people believe these things that it will spawn a political revolution toward progressive politics?

How old is this show, WS?

It is not just the cost of the wars but the number of lives destroyed as well. Was some of it necessary? Yes. But Iraq? The bailout of the banks and other institutions that sold garbage investments?

Count on it! the entitlements that people have paid into for years and need are being reduced but the war machine will continue because corporate America is now completely in charge. Americans voted for it!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    The show was just posted yesterday. The interview of Howard Schultz occurred three days ago on Squawk Box CNBC. These types of discussions make me wonder what dominos have to fall to trigger what’s left of the middle class voters to abandon Democrats and Republicans. We have seventy, eighty and ninety year olds working minimum wage jobs to pay for gaps in their health care. We have large groups of young starters burdened with immense school debt and our infrastructure continues to erode. But we keep ramping up our military spending. It’s shameful. Does the government cut back solution narrative still fly? Don’t think so. Every other country on the planet is calling us out. When China’s wealthiest man calls us out......that’s embarrassing.

Been thinking about this while I went around my usual maintenance activities on Saturdays.
    While China's wealthiest man had a very legitimate observation, China is also building up its armed power to control the Oriental sphere so there may be a little bit of an agenda there.

Now, having said that, I am going to offer more positive view of life than what seems possible at present.

Whenever I see a tragedy reported, I also see and acknowledge loudly the selflessness that is so often involved. People making chains to rescue someone OR rushing into buildings and variable situations to warn/save others, OR providing donated aid OR shelter to those in need. There is so much of this happening. People around the world share what they have and have done so for centuries. This selflessness is innate in all of us to a greater or lesser degree. We need to give and to receive to feel included and valued.

When individualism is the governing thought, selflessness is lost. I think while individualism has value, when it takes over the thought of person, communities and governments to the point that selflessness is lost sight of, mankind suffers. We are fighting against our own innate nature and wondering why we are so unhappy, angry, fearful of the future and isolated from each other. How do we solve this at present - with pills, opioids, alcohol, drugs, road rage.....

What say you, WS? Do you agree?

We have seventy, eighty and ninety year olds working minimum wage jobs to pay for gaps in their health care. We have large groups of young starters burdened with immense school debt and our infrastructure continues to erode. But we keep ramping up our military spending. It’s shameful. Does the government cut back solution narrative still fly? Don’t think so. Every other country on the planet is calling us out. When China’s wealthiest man calls us out......that’s embarrassing.
    +1

I recall that bumper sticker: "It will be a great day when our schools get all the money they need and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy another bomber." -- Robert Fulghum
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When I see old people bagging groceries and offer to take them to my car no way am I letting someone older than me do that. I heard that in Florida the grocery store is full of old workers. Fine if they enjoy it but sad if required. I would much rather spend less on the military and put that money towards our poor seniors.

The show was just posted yesterday. The interview of Howard Schultz occurred three days ago on Squawk Box CNBC. These types of discussions make me wonder what dominos have to fall to trigger what’s left of the middle class voters to abandon Democrats and Republicans. We have seventy, eighty and ninety year olds working minimum wage jobs to pay for gaps in their health care. We have large groups of young starters burdened with immense school debt and our infrastructure continues to erode. But we keep ramping up our military spending. It’s shameful. Does the government cut back solution narrative still fly? Don’t think so. Every other country on the planet is calling us out. When China’s wealthiest man calls us out......that’s embarrassing.
    Prior to the 20th century, what was retirement? What was healthcare like and how was it paid for, as well as any advances to it? How about other factors that are in play (lack of pensions, automation or other advances that change the job market, so more frequent job changes, etc. etc.)?
    I've heard one person say that China, has been ramping up its military spending and it generally in a booming economy state. I don't know the facts one way or another, but found his premise that they could make us to a cold war Russia, and interesting premise.
    I knew a person who retired at 95, and died six months later (I was his last customer). Part of me thinks it is just the pendulum of life, going from one extreme to the other. (this too, shall pass)

Toomuchstuff, I was thinking along the same lines.

Thread Information