Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast

Thread: Daily Bread

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Fair... My response was addressed more toward catherine's suggestion that we don't need plastics.
    Well, it's true--we don't NEED plastics at a very fundamental level. We've learned to need them. Whether or not they add to our quality of life is a matter of debate--may be true, may not be.

WS's thoughts about how our throw-away habits may have infiltrated into other areas of our lives is worth thinking about. How many people have thrown away good, well-crafted cabinetry to replace them with IKEA particleboard? How many people have thrown away a friendship because of a few misspoken words?

I remember having clear, strong "relationships" with our Christmas trees when I was a child, and I'd literally cry when they were taken out to the curb. Sounds silly, but even relationships with inanimate items can have value.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I could speculate that in some not so distant future plastics will be viewed as much as the bronze or iron age in the advances of civilization (or what we call civilization). They coat the insides of aluminum cans, are the base for computer components and most other electronics, they are part of fleece and polyester garments and the nylon shells of coats, and are integral to many medical devices. And yoga pants. Like it or not our modern lifestyle is married to plastics. Plastics that are used for product packaging is probably one of the easiest to avoid and at least some things can be recycled. And alternatives to plastics are not without their own environmental cost. I remember a day when plastic was the preferred grocery bag to avoid tree consuming paper.

As long as we play within the constraints of our culture, it's not as much finding alternatives, but the the old adage, reduce, reuse, recycle.

Williamsmith
    Well, my first experiment at the grocery store had mixed results. I don’t shop at “you know where”......I go to a local grocery where the cashiers seem to be receptive to small talk and aren’t stingy with their smiles and hey seem sympathetic to me when my coupon is expired by nine hours.

Anyway, so there are these nice reusable bags with handles hanging right over the cashiers shoulders and I order one up for 99 cents. I feel quite certain I can establish a relationship with this sturdy carrier. The cashier packs two large pasta sauce cans, six vegetable cans, a six pack of stevia sweetened pop, eight yogurt containers and tops it off with a loaf of bread. Wow! It seemed to weigh forty pounds. She did suggest lining the bottom with cardboard. What, so you can put a cube of Coke in there?

Think I’ll get another reusable bag and spread the haul out.

I actually have a fondness (relationship-wise) for my reusable bag. I got two for free from the Master Gardener program, when the county recycling head came in to give her talk.

It looks just like this, but with the county logo on it. I LOVE that it's sturdy, insulated, and it zips.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Williamsmith
    Wow! That’s a high end grocery bag! I could go on vacation with that.

That’s too much for one bag)

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I actually have a fondness (relationship-wise) for my reusable bag. I got two for free from the Master Gardener program, when the county recycling head came in to give her talk.

It looks just like this, but with the county logo on it. I LOVE that it's sturdy, insulated, and it zips.
    Looks like a really sturdy bag. I wonder if it is washable as I find that I need to wash mine. We used to get cloth bags from the liquor board and they are still going strong, if a little stained.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

It seems slightly ironic that a reusable bag would be plastic coated, but I get the point of things.

I have some heavy duty cotton bags that I like and are machine washable, at least in cold water. Once I put one in the drier which was a mistake.

Shifting the focus of discussion from recyclable shopping bags to a much more weighty topic, there was an op-ed piece in the NYT today by the author of a book called "Resisting Throwaway Culture" and his thoughts are fairly closely aligned with the idea that without too much of a stretch, you can say that attitudes about single use plastic carry over into attitudes about life itself (or vice versa).

BTW: I'm sharing this link because it's tied in with WS's latest Daily Bread topic--NOT because I want to open a can of worms on the topic of abortion! I just thought it was an interesting piece and is relevant to the plastics/relationship discussion in a way. Is the Throwaway Culture hand-in-glove with the Dehumanizing Culture?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/09/o...gtype=Homepage

Williamsmith
    My son and his wife are on his way to South Africa. I guess the travel time alone takes up an entire day. He lands in Johannesburg and visits some natural wonder called Victoria Falls located between Zimbabwe and Zambia. From there they take safari in several different national parks. It’s an adventure and unforgettable life experience I’m sure. I’m not jealous. Don’t like to travel in strange countries, plenty to see and do right here. But I will enjoy hearing about it. The wife’s grandmother left them a little money when she passed away with the stipulation they use it to travel. That was a thoughtful gesture.

Thread Information