Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Bread

Take the picture WS!!! You will never regret it.

Take the picture and enjoy your Mom. Mine died 8 years ago at 89. I really miss her.

Yes, take the picture. You can always decide later that you don't want it, but once the building is gone, the opportunity is as well.

My dad has been gone for more than 20 years now. My mom soldiers on, in decent health for 83 and her mind still sharp (but befuddled by modern things like how to use chipped credit cards at pay terminals and how admitted sexual predators can be elected to office). She has HGTV ideas with zero budget for a house she doesn't even own and some of the martyr complex that many of us recognize in our parents ("No, you kids do what you want for Thanksgiving. I know we're a burden...").

Yet I realize that some day in the not-too-distant future she won't be around to explain exactly how she wants to turn her 100-year-old bungalow into a showplace for things she doesn't do now to any degree (even though she could) or explain why the guy who sponsors the talk-radio finances show is exactly right about ... well, whatever he's talking about. And, yes, I'll miss our conversations, maybe more than any of her children.

Reminds me that I really should get some more current pictures of her than I have....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Williamsmith
    Sunday mornings are great for just random thoughts. The weather has a rhythm to it and right now it has descended into frigid evenings and cold days. I think I’ll fly my Learjet to my second home in Arizona. Wait ...let me check my powerball ticket..........

Nope. Looks like I’ll be driving my Toyota to Flagstaff and checking into the Motel 6.

Randon thought number one: Is it okay to be fake if that’s truly what you are?

Randon thought number two: If you are not a true minimalist; is it okay to divorce your life partner?

Randon thought number three: Are most minimalists intolerant of others possessions?

I came to this conclusion the day I bought my fourth vintage cast iron skillet then went home and demanded my wife go through her sweaters to see if she could purge a few of them. She has enough to fill a Conestoga Wagon.

Randon thought number four: Is Youtube ripping off Youtubers? I mean, the ones who are providing the content are getting their uploads censored but yet Youtube is making buck off their creativity! Not just a little profit either. Is It time to break up Youtube?

I dont watch much television anymore. I pay $156/month, give or take a few pennies, for the privilege of having 200+ channels of useless programming that I don’t watch. Well, to be fair, that includes the internet connectivity. But still, I could do without the tv component completely and the four televisions that go with it and just watch streaming content. And when my family comes over, we don’t sit and stare at the tv anymore. No we have evolved. We now have little mini machines that allow individual distractions to get in the way of communication. So now, we don’t even talk about how stupid the commercials are.

Which leads me to random thought number five: Why visit someone at all, if you are going to take your smartphone with you?

If I were to get rid of the tv component, it would lead to random thought number six: Where can I find a weather proof trailer to live in while my wife initiates divorce proceedings....thus answering the question posed in random thought number two.

Random thought number six: Why do churches have family portrait directories? The only time I have used mine in the past is when somebody dies and the wife says, “You know them. Look in the directory.” Which usually leads to, “Oh yeah, I remember them.” Followed by, “How about a grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch honey?”

Random thought number seven: What am I going to wear for my family portrait at the church today? How about my Pink Floyd t-shirt? I want something they will remember me by.

Random thought number eight: The voters just passed the elimination of the school tax based on real estate value. I wonder what new taxes will be established to not only make up for that, but exceed it in order to punish the voters? It will be exciting to see this play out since everybody will literally have their own skin in the game. I did not vote for it. Better the devil you know.......

I like to find obscure people on Youtube. The fewer views the better. Which leads me to random thought number nine:

What possesses someone to upload a video account of going to their pharmacy to pick up a prescription?

But Ill end with random thought number ten: If you don’t dream in black and white......do you dream in blue?

Answered by this:

https://youtu.be/jljhB-LlF4E?list=PL...OOAmPNDkfMkltv

William, what is the deal with elimination of real estate taxes for schools in your neck of the woods?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Randon thought number two: If you are not a true minimalist; is it okay to divorce your life partner?
    If you are not a true minimalist, wouldn't you want to have around as many of everything as possible? Would that mean more than one life partner?

Randon thought number three: Are most minimalists intolerant of others possessions?

I came to this conclusion the day I bought my fourth vintage cast iron skillet then went home and demanded my wife go through her sweaters to see if she could purge a few of them. She has enough to fill a Conestoga Wagon.
    I find it interesting that humans see things that way. Maybe it's not all humans; maybe it's based in certain societal constructs. But a human can see having four vintage cast iron skillets as essential and a Conestoga wagon full of sweaters as non-essential. Not poking at you specifically, WS -- I see it in DW, who has placed baskets all over the house for the purposes of organizing clutter and still leaves out of the basket what she's taken out of the basket. I even see it in myself, who is pretty rigid about what deserves a place on (my) kitchen counters (it better be used most days of the week) but turns a fairly blind eye to all the cr@p on the desk in the front bedroom. Similarly, the term "wasteful government spending" seems to be "any spending that does not benefit me directly". I'm interested to see if tax reform ever will take on special cases like the deduction for railroad taxes paid by left-handed albino plumbers (Form 1040; Schedule XS, Line 76).

Which leads me to random thought number five: Why visit someone at all, if you are going to take your smartphone with you?
    I think what you're really discussing is people's inability to keep it in their pants. Technology should exist to serve. My smartphone is many things. It helped me navigate to your house (assuming I did not already know the way), it let me send you a message teliing you I was on my way, and it verified that I'm arriving at the time I said I would. At that point, unless you ask me for someone's new address or I want to show you a picture I took, my phone does not need to be in front of my face until I check the time (I don't wear a watch anymore). IMHO the issue is not smartphones; it's manners.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I went back to the beginning of this thread to recall where we started and make sure I was on topic, although I really like reading everything. I noticed this.

I want to ask my psychiatrist at my appointment tomorrow about this. My mom is so busy, always busy, she runs circles around me. I heard from my aunt that she wore her shoes out as a kid walking around the neighborhood, talking to people, doing things, etc. She has a hard time sitting still, although she is surviving her knee surgery. More recently she has lost track of some things, at 74, and there are a few other things with her energy levels. I often wonder if my bipolar II is similar but a trauma or 2 kicked into the needing treatment zone. I think my grandfather had some of the tendency and he drank it, while starting a LOT of different projects, business, etc. Hypomanic gets things done!
    My great-grandmother died young in the Cuckoo's Nest (literally) around the turn of the century. Depression and bi-polar disease have left their mark on the family. Maybe some day I'll find out what the story was.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    William, what is the deal with elimination of real estate taxes for schools in your neck of the woods?
    IL...this is the best article I could find regarding this topic. It is short enough that it didn’t loose my attention...which is saying something, and it is concise. Notice how closing the door to one dragon, unlocks the doors to several others. The beast must be fed.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/11..._tax_reli.html

IL...this is the best article I could find regarding this topic. It is short enough that it didn’t loose my attention...which is saying something, and it is concise. Notice how closing the door to one dragon, unlocks the doors to several others. The beast must be fed.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/11..._tax_reli.html
    I read this article so thank you. This vote did not remove real estate tax as I understand it, it paves the way for real estate tax to be eliminated. It will be interesting to see what transpires from this point.

Williamsmith
    I’m going to punt today. If you love dogs. If you love a good dog story with a happy ending. If you love mountain vistas and real adventures......I think it will be worth your time to watch this upload from a YouTube channel I support. If you look at his portfolio, no doubt a lot of it will be out of your field of interest but I find it insightful that people cannot and should not be pidgeon holed. People can’t be labeled simply. They are complex creatures. Almost everyone I ever met had a certain part of them that amazed me.

I was made aware of this video from 2012 as a result of a new video he published regarding the sad passing of his own dog recently. The grief he and his wife are going through is real. I’ve been there. The black lab in the attached video is the dog that recently died. The Golden is still kicking.....but I’ll let the YouTuber tell the story.........

https://youtu.be/kgI4fIVTzE4

Thread Information