Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Bread

Fasting takes many forms. Fasting from worry, from self-condemnation, from self-righteous judgement, or anything that gives priority to oneself. Food fasting is positive but, IMO anyway, is the easiest. Fasting of our self-centred thinking is the challenge.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Fasting takes many forms. Fasting from worry, from self-condemnation, from self-righteous judgement, or anything that gives priority to oneself. Food fasting is positive but, IMO anyway, is the easiest. Fasting of our self-centred thinking is the challenge.
    I agree that one can use the concept of fasting in a self control context. After my experience, I do not believe food fasting is easiest. But it is rewarding to return to normal eating......the graham cracker cream pie had a narcotic effect on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    .....the graham cracker cream pie had a narcotic effect on me.
    That is funny! Strawberries and fresh whipping cream would be mine. Can you tell it is strawberry season here?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    There is a movement of sorts away from interacting with the digital world that seems consistent with simple living. I’m aware that it is ironic for a person to discuss Luddite living on an electronic device hooked to an Internet forum. Admittedly, it is hard to be in the water and not get wet so I don’t feel regret that I haven’t disconnected totally......yet. There are many reasons I still jump online, pay bills, read news from world sources, receive communication through emails and thats just right off the top of my head.

Still, I’m a budding analog life stylist. I don’t do Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or many other apps that are out there. I have a flip phone with no data plan, a 1950s moonbeam alarm clock that wakes you up with a flashing light, percolator coffee pots, Pyrex cookware, stained glass lamps, a daily newspaper, a broom and dust pan, vinyl records, and a windup timer for my kitchen that “dings” quite nicely.

Yet, I strain against the digital pull. My daughter does too. She has a reel push mower powered by legs but her husband has all the lights, locks and heating/air conditioning systems linked to his smartphone.

While I can see how digital technology seems to make life easier, I find it easier to interact in an analog world. The constant connectedness doesn’t suit me. To me, it seems to suck the time out of my life. Cutting down the digital connectedness allows for more person to person communication. All the virtual personalities seem fake to me.

I think it would go a a long way if we’d just cut back our on line connectedness and maybe shake the neighbors hand and look him in the eye more often. I always liked the analog park bench that sat in front of the local barbershop. Lots of ideas were exchanged there that nobody kept a record of.

WS, is it possible that the time is governed by the stages in our lives? The park bench in my neighbourhood is in a really lovely cemetery with large trees. I have a number of routes that I use to walk the dog, one being the cemetery route. One can sit on a bench and the pedestrian traffic will stop and visit, discuss the latest gossip in weather or political activities. They are all retirees though. I tease them when I stop to talk that they are solving the world's problems. I have gained some good insights as well.

I was told recently that our community lives in a 'bubble' - excellent food production, lots of water, few severe weather issues like tornados, floods, earthquakes and just enough of the four seasons.

Younger people rarely walk just for a walk. They race their bikes or jog or similar type of speedy activity all of which are not conducive to the idea exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Younger people rarely walk just for a walk. They race their bikes or jog or similar type of speedy activity all of which are not conducive to the idea exchange.
    Was it ever really any different? I can't recall the last time DD/DSiL suggested taking a walk unless one/both of the grandkids were in tow. I can't recall suggesting a walk as a young person, either, unless it was to someone I wanted to talk with on the way from one destination to another. And then we can talk about how the advent of suburbia and the decline of walkable towns and cities has affected the number of people on the street... Fortunately, walkable towns and cities are coming back into fashion.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Good points, Steve. That is why I have always enjoyed having a dog. Walking a dog has stopped me from racing around. DH and I for years took the dog for a walk and visited as we went along. As neighbours drove by, they would stop and chat so the world slowed down for a little while. It took this part of the thread to make me realize the additional value of my dog walking. Love being surprised by a discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Was it ever really any different? I can't recall the last time DD/DSiL suggested taking a walk unless one/both of the grandkids were in tow. I can't recall suggesting a walk as a young person, either, unless it was to someone I wanted to talk with on the way from one destination to another. And then we can talk about how the advent of suburbia and the decline of walkable towns and cities has affected the number of people on the street... Fortunately, walkable towns and cities are coming back into fashion.

I have always loved walking and did it as a teen and actually all my life.

My DS37 is a Luddite, and I've always admired him for it. He was the LAST person I know to get a cell phone and home computer. He doesn't have a car--he takes a bus to work in the winter and rides his Triumph motorcycle to work in the summer. He is not on any social media. He turned me on to Neil Postman (Amusing Ourselves to Death and Technolopoly) when he was in college.

There is NOTHING more rewarding than seeing your children live the life you aspire to. It's like being Moses--not quite making it to the Promised Land yourself, but watching your people enter in.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If I go more then 8 hours without eating while I am up I get shaky and the dry heaves. Never understood how people could fast.

Thread Information