Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Bread

WS: it sounds like your Mom did the very best she could for her boys. I am so sorry she and you kids suffered so much. In that day and age it was very difficult for abused women to leave not having jobs, no shelters or support systems in place, etc. Your Mom sounds like a wonderful person. I am glad now that you are close and enjoying your time together. YOu also had a tough job. I think it is good that they let police retire after 20 years because that type of work takes a toll on your body and mental health. I read that the job is either extreme boredom but you have to be on your toes or all hell is breaking loose and that the adrenaline that rushes through your body also damages it.

I don't know, I almost cringe saying this but have to ask. If you gently approached the subject, maybe after all these years your mom would actually welcome talking about it. As I said, I don't know, but if all this is inside her, you may be the only outlet and the only time she might be able to sort through this. You could feel her out.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    I don't know, I almost cringe saying this but have to ask. If you gently approached the subject, maybe after all these years your mom would actually welcome talking about it. As I said, I don't know, but if all this is inside her, you may be the only outlet and the only time she might be able to sort through this. You could feel her out.
    I do believe that the past is somewhere I have every right to explore by myself but I don't have the right to drag anyone along with me from my past who hasn't agreed to Take the trip. I trust she has made her own peace with it. I will do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I do believe that the past is somewhere I have every right to explore by myself but I don't have the right to drag anyone along with me from my past who hasn't agreed to Take the trip. I trust she has made her own peace with it. I will do the same.
    Very wise.

WS's mother is a generation older than me with very different experiences than I had. Life has its challenges for each of us. It is our response to the challenges that is truly important, IMO.

I did a lot of mental house cleaning a couple of years ago in order to move forward with my life after DH's passing. It was my journey. I didn't announce it to anyone. It is done, in the past and I am not going back there. I live in the present, grateful for all the good in my life now.

His mother, like many others, may have completed a similar mental house cleaning at some point, is content now and safe. WS is very wise not to disturb that.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    I am enjoying a fine brew of hazelnut coffee on the porch this morning. I don't know what makes coffee better one day than the next. Today, I used my vintage Farberware 2-4 cup electric percolator made in Bronx, NY. That was before they closed the factory and outsourced to China because labor is......well slave labor. We do seem to take a closer look at the bottom line than the quality in this country. It is a faster brew than the glass Pyrex '50's era and way better than the Keurig monstrosity.

Anywho, I'm reading a new book by one of my favorite outdoor authors, John Gierach. He wrote such classics as "Death, Taxes and Leaky Waders" and "Sex, Death and Flyfishing". True, these aren't serious pros. If you want that you need to read his treatise called, "Even Brook Trout get the Blues" or "Standing in a River Waving a Stick."

I don't learn a lot about actual fly fishing from these books but I do remember not to leave my sense of humor at home when I venture out into the real world.

Fly fishing is a hobby now that once was a passion. Back in the day I was stationed in the mountains of central Pennsylvania. I learned to tie flies from a Trooper in my patrol unit. I bought a really nice Orvis rig from a high end shop, you know the kind that has platoons of Range Rovers in the parking lot. Because of a certain excellent trout stream and a certain President who like to fish the same excellent trout stream....I became very attached to this certain fly rod. Unfortunately, a certain Amish boy got it stuck in his hand one day while working at my house and left with it never to return again.

Thinking about those days fishing and the recent comments regarding transgenders being banned from the military........I know those two seem to be worlds apart.... I know also what a certain former President would say regarding this. He'd say that everyone is equal in the eyes of the Lord.

Im pretty sure it's the bottom line being looked at and not the quality.....again.

williamsmith, What an uplifting entry today. Thank you. I think I'll check out your author. I too can never figure out why coffee is excellent one day and not as excellent the next day. Thanks for the morning joy.

Flowers of any kind, cut or potted, are always welcome at my house (but for astromeria, the one flower I hate) Its just that I always have them myself but for the dead of winter, so there is no point in sending some unless they are very
    interesting specimens.

WilliamSmith, your musings while on the porch, and about the porch, are nice!

i live in a city victorian neighborhood where there were no front porches on our houses. People "recreated" by walking to nearby public parks. Each house has an entry place to sort of pause before entering the house proper, but there are no places to sit. The period of prominence for our architecture was 1875 - 1890.

Porches were major features in other styles in other place during the same period. Here, I am thinking of those giant Queen Anne clapboard houses in the Midwest and smaller towns. There, porches must have been important for sitting around. Well, also they were important for shading the first floor.

Back to my city--starting about 1910 -1920, porches were built here. The houses were big, the porches smaller, but they existed. Then, starting about 1930 -1940 porches became a major part of a house, the mass of porch took up a bigger percentage, and little houses of 850 sq ft had big porches that spanned the entire front.

Somewhere in the 1950's sitting around outside became a private activity, and everyone moved to the back of the property. No more hanging out in the front toward the street. The Back Patio took the place of The Porch, and those big porches were no longer built.

in recent decades The Deck became an expanded back porch.

I am a purest and it creeps me out when people try to add porches, decks, etc to the wrong style of house. We have a set of twin houses in our neighborhood built in 1885. They are mirror images and sit across the street from each other. Someone with too much money back in the 1930's added a front porch to one of them to "modernize" it. Ugh, it is hideous, and because it was built in the Old World style it is huge, solid, and expensive to remove. Meanwhile, its beautiful twin sits naked-of-a-porch across the street, elegant and spare as the architect intended.

I see misguided people adding hideous porches to their 1960/ ranches and ow, that hurts my eyes. Haha.

well, that was a long screed, I dont expect anyone to read it. it least I didnt treat you to my opinion on decks.that aint pretty.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-27-17 at 1:41pm.

IL, I read it! Very interesting. I've stayed in the Shaw Neighborhood several times (residents invited artists to stay while exhibiting at their art fair or the Botanical garden art fair). A few had porches but not many. I never really thought about it. Son#2 and I recently spent a morning bird watching at Tower Grove Park and I tried to imagine the early version of "cruising" when that park was new and how everyone was out and about to see and be seen. Never thought about the no-porch style, were there covered side carriage entries? Have most of those been replaced by garages? Very interesting timeline you gave. I'm big on having a porch so everything I look at I think about where I'd put a porch (sorry).
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

When I lived in the Midwest and also upstate NY the homes built in the early 1900's always had porches. I loved them. We live in a 1950 ranch and the previous owner put on a small round porch and it actually looks very nice. I have a small bistro set on it and my DH likes to sit out there. I prefer to sit in the back. This neighborhood is one of the friendliest I have ever lived in. I know many of my neighbors from walking my dogs.

Thread Information