Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Impermanence and Families

OP, I think that is wonderful that you still have these elderly aunts in your life and the opportunity to visit with them. You never know if this could be the last time. Like so many who have posted in response, I too am alone with really no family to speak of. I was an only child, so no brothers/sisters and therefore no nieces/nephews. No children, therefore no grandchildren. Like Gmpg54, my husband was the youngest of his siblings, (one brother was 20 years older!), so this family felt almost a whole generation removed. His mother was near the age of my grandmother, the oldest brother I mentioned was the age of my mother, and his sister was the age of my step-father! Needless to say they are all gone now except for one brother who lives a distance away. And lastly my DH passed suddenly a little over two years ago with no idea this was going to happen. So, here I am feeling as Bruce Springsteen said "when you're alone, you ain't nothing but alone.". I did have one wonderful cousin that was the elder in my family. She was near 90, still lived alone and cared for all her own needs execpt she didn't drive, so I ran her on errands. She had a great mind and was the person I could ask about family history, or as someone else noted, other events in the past. She was active, mentally and physically for her age and was actually doing something with apples the morning she had a heart attack. I went to the hospital and she sat up in bed talking to me, asked for a "real coke" which I got her, and that night she was gone. I felt the aloneness then, realizing I had no one older than me to talk with in the family. I still have a few cousins, (4 first cousins), all younger than me and most scattered far and wide across the states. So, long story, but visit those beautiful aunts, talk to them, treasure your time with them because you never know if you will have another chance.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I recently went back to my hometown to see relatives and friends. My Aunt is still alive and living alone at 92. It was wonderful to see her. I am not close to my 2 siblings at all. We tried being close when younger but they have super strong personalities so in order to get along I had to let them boss me around. When I turned 50 I decided that enough was enough. They did not like my new stance so now we occasionally email and I did see one of them when I went home for a day.

I got back from CT. It was great. Saw my cousin, and went swimming, ate good fresh vegetables, had great conversation. It was great to see her and her mom, one of the 3 aunts. Took my other aunt to lunch. She was as beautiful as ever, but since she lost her husband and had some health issues over the past 3 years, her mind is slipping fairly seriously. It was sad to see. I never got to see Aunt #3.

I stayed at a really awesome place--a little "Thoreau" cabin in the woods. It was 8' x 6'--had just a suggestion of a lock on the door, and the windows were open and airy. No insulation--just basically a shack with a nice comfy bed, nightstand, chair and mirror. There was a running waterfall just outside, and so quiet. I've been wearing a Fitbit for the past 6 weeks, and I noticed that I had the best sleep by far over the past 6 weeks, and my heart rate was as low as it's ever been since wearing the Fitbit. Just goes to show you the healing nature of... nature!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

I stayed at a really awesome place--a little "Thoreau" cabin in the woods. It was 8' x 6'--had just a suggestion of a lock on the door, and the windows were open and airy. No insulation--just basically a shack with a nice comfy bed, nightstand, chair and mirror. There was a running waterfall just outside, and so quiet. I've been wearing a Fitbit for the past 6 weeks, and I noticed that I had the best sleep by far over the past 6 weeks, and my heart rate was as low as it's ever been since wearing the Fitbit. Just goes to show you the healing nature of... nature!
    Sounds lovely!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Sounds so cool Catherine--and really interested about your good sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Sounds so cool Catherine--and really interested about your good sleep!
    Two reasons for the good sleep: no dog to wake me up early and disrupt my sleep by jumping on and off the bed; also, there was no TV, internet, or phone, so when it got dark, I just went to bed. I think it was about 9:15. I've always felt that following natural day/night patterns has to be best for people. I think that the invention of the light bulb and TV has really destroyed our ability to live by natural rhythms. In fact, I've made up my mind to try to get to bed earlier. My Fitbit tells me I may be deficient in deep sleep.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I too loved my three Aunts. I can still hear their beautiful voices.

Thread Information