Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garden Photo Album

Lovely lilies, Tybee!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thanks, Catherine, I finally got to see your pictures and I love the birdbath garden, so peaceful.

Oh you KNOW I will be all over this lily photo with bravos! What a beautiful Oriental lilies!

I cant grow Orientals. I say it is too hot and humid here, but others here claim to grow them.

So, IL, what is the difference between Easter lilies and Oriental lilies like Tybee's? I see there are orange stamen (?) but is there anything else? My DIL bought me Easter lilies last year (2016) and they actually re-appeared this year! It was very exciting!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh you KNOW I will be all over this lily photo with bravos! What a beautiful Oriental lilies!

I cant grow Orientals. I say it is too hot and humid here, but others here claim to grow them.
    Thanks IL, you've made my day!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So, IL, what is the difference between Easter lilies and Oriental lilies like Tybee's? I see there are orange stamen (?) but is there anything else? My DIL bought me Easter lilies last year (2016) and they actually re-appeared this year! It was very exciting!
    Easter lilies are genetically different, they are a variety of longiflorim lily. Their flowers are elongated while Oriental lily flowers are flatter. Longiflorums have narrower petals, they bloom earlier. Orientals are the last to bloom of all the lilies. Orientals are very heavily scented, VERY!

Easyer lilies dont always make it through the winters so it is nice that yours bloomed.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Easter lilies are genetically different, they are a variety of longiflorim lily. Their flowers are elongated while Oriental lily flowers are flatter. Longiflorums have narrower petals, they bloom earlier. Orientals are the last to bloom of all the lilies. Orientals are very heavily scented, VERY!

Easyer lilies dont always make it through the winters so it is nice that yours bloomed.
    Thanks. I planted them, unintentionally, under catmint, so maybe that's why they bloomed (catmint kept them warm, maybe?)

Easter_lily.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Thanks. I planted them, unintentionally, under catmint, so maybe that's why they bloomed (catmint kept them warm, maybe?)

very nice!

How lovely!

Thread Information