Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet The Parents II

Meet The Parents II

ETA: The title is wrong. Can't change it. Meant to put "Meet the Parents II"

Geez. The hardest part of having 4 kids is not when they're children: it's when they are about to embark on nearly irrevocable decisions regarding relationships.

Kid #2: We are all about his life partner. Two thumbs up all the way. No question. No drama. Check.

Kid #3: We just met her this weekend and we love her. Two thumbs up. No drama. Check.

Kid #1: If you recall, he had a very dramatic transition to marriage. He broke up with one long-time girlfriend, only to meet, marry, and impregnate another girl within 3 months. We had no time to get to know her, and were further troubled by her very tragic story of a suicide by her ex-husband. Update: my concerns were unfounded. They are a very good couple. I really like her a lot--she's an awesome mother. Just a purely instinctive good mother. Good wife, too. My son adores her.

Kid #4: My daughter who LIVES the show The Bachelorette. She broke up with a bf we LOVED, and I posted about my grief over losing my "son." She went out for 2 years after that with someone who is fine. But she broke up with him and is now being "courted" by no less than 5 guys. I can't keep up. So she's interested in one guy who actually just broke up with his live-in gf to develop a relationship with my DD. So that's pressure on DD right off the bat. I asked her for his full name so I could google him. I was totally upfront about it.. why not? If I could hire a private investigator I would, but I don't have to because we have the internet. She laughed and gave me his linkedin profile. I don't like looking at LinkedIn profiles because they tell the person that you were looking at them.

So I just googled. And what did I get? A mug shot!! Four years ago, the guy was arrested with a friend for "tagging" a vintage subway car in a major city. On one hand, it's graffiti--not violence or robbery. OTOH, it was only 4 years ago. What was in his head? What was his motivation? Does he have an attitude of disrespect and lawlessness in general, or was this a youthful indiscretion?

So DD asked if she could come this weekend and introduce him to us, not knowing what I found. Do I tell her? What do I do with this information? What would you do? It's a red flag. Otherwise the guy seems OK, has a job as a graphic designer, as does my daughter.

Argghh..
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Are you absolutely certain mugshot guy and the bf are the same? My husband's family has repeated names so many times... could be some random dude with the same name, or a distant cousin.

Even if it is the same guy, I'd be upfront about it. I would bring it up when dd and bf are there in person, kind of like: "so, just looking out for my darling daughter, and I Google your name. What's the story?" See what the response is.

Williamsmith
    I would not let google define this person. I would rely on your interpersonal skills and your ability to determine character and intent. Be careful of first impressions and try to reign in emotions. You interact every day with people whose past would probably shock you if you had the capacity to know. Thank God, we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    ETA: The title is wrong. Can't change it. Meant to put "Meet the Parents II"

Geez. The hardest part of having 4 kids is not when they're children: it's when they are about to embark on nearly irrevocable decisions regarding relationships.

Kid #2: We are all about his life partner. Two thumbs up all the way. No question. No drama. Check.

Kid #3: We just met her this weekend and we love her. Two thumbs up. No drama. Check.

Kid #1: If you recall, he had a very dramatic transition to marriage. He broke up with one long-time girlfriend, only to meet, marry, and impregnate another girl within 3 months. We had no time to get to know her, and were further troubled by her very tragic story of a suicide by her ex-husband. Update: my concerns were unfounded. They are a very good couple. I really like her a lot--she's an awesome mother. Just a purely instinctive good mother. Good wife, too. My son adores her.

Kid #4: My daughter who LIVES the show The Bachelorette. She broke up with a bf we LOVED, and I posted about my grief over losing my "son." She went out for 2 years after that with someone who is fine. But she broke up with him and is now being "courted" by no less than 5 guys. I can't keep up. So she's interested in one guy who actually just broke up with his live-in gf to develop a relationship with my DD. So that's pressure on DD right off the bat. I asked her for his full name so I could google him. I was totally upfront about it.. why not? If I could hire a private investigator I would, but I don't have to because we have the internet. She laughed and gave me his linkedin profile. I don't like looking at LinkedIn profiles because they tell the person that you were looking at them.

So I just googled. And what did I get? A mug shot!! Four years ago, the guy was arrested with a friend for "tagging" a vintage subway car in a major city. On one hand, it's graffiti--not violence or robbery. OTOH, it was only 4 years ago. What was in his head? What was his motivation? Does he have an attitude of disrespect and lawlessness in general, or was this a youthful indiscretion?

So DD asked if she could come this weekend and introduce him to us, not knowing what I found. Do I tell her? What do I do with this information? What would you do? It's a red flag. Otherwise the guy seems OK, has a job as a graphic designer, as does my daughter.

Argghh..
    My first response is .... "bug out". I gather your daughter is an adult. You raised her and should trust her to make her own decisions and mistakes, if necessary. The more you interfere the more she will rebel IMO. ..my 2¢..

Geila
    Relax, Catherine! Aren't your kids in their 30's? College-educated professionals? I think this is the stage where the relationship between mother/child is supposed to evolve into a more relaxed enjoyable friendship. I once read that women in particular seem to have a hard time distinguishing between a role and a relationship. Of course, I have no kids, so this is all theory. But it seems like a good idea.

I get it. Yes, she's over 30, so I guess it's time for me to back off. I just feel that all relationships are a mine field, and as a mother I just want to help steer my DD if possible. Interestingly, I consider myself a hands-off parent--definitely not a helicopter parent. Maybe these few days off are providing me with "idle hands for the devil's workshop" as the nuns used to say.

Williamsmith, I'll definitely keep my mouth shut and trust my instincts--and my daughter's instincts. Geila and frugal-one, I'll back off. I'm not good at confrontation anyway. (lemrullo, it's definitely him in the mug shot.).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I edited title for you.

I wouldnt be terribly concerned with actions of the BF! Be open to what he is all about.

Geila
    I do think having access to all this information is a mixed bag. It can make us obsessive about finding out stuff and then there's nothing for us to do with the info anyway. I think it feeds the 'monkey brain' that plagues us. I mean, tagging? Such a small thing. I would be more invested in paying attention when you meet him. People reveal themselves if we just pay attention. Just pay attention to how he treats your daughter. That's all that really matters anyway. The rest is for her to figure out.

On the issue of trying to protect her from making mistakes or from minefields. I believe that when we have issues to work out, they will have to be worked out, one way or another. You can't protect her from that. That's how life works. But you can enjoy a wonderful relationship with her no matter what.

If he's of a similar age to your daughter, then getting caught doing something like that when he's in his late 20s is rather suspect, in my opinion. That isn't "youthful indiscretion" of a teenager. But I'd still probably keep that to myself. Since you told your daughter you'd be checking his background, I would be very surprised that she hadn't already done the same, if only to know what kinds of things you might be seeing.

I would mind my own business. You don't want to give them anything to bond over against you. It never even occurred tome to google any of my kids partners, etc.

Thread Information