Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from sunny, expensive California!

Thanks everyone for the welcome! I'm still learning how to use this forum -- my reply to Float On posted under Teacher Terry. Hm.
    PS: Join me for a newsletter on simplifying to make time for what we love. Message me with "I'm in" to join.

Awakenedsoul, I would love a 1940's cottage! It sounds so romantic. We actually have three people living in the apartment -- my fiancé lives in a town 2 hours away, and we'll have to keep up this arrangement for the next few years. It's not ideal, but we're making the best of it. So, periodically, there are 4 people in my house. We also have one black lab and an ornery cat. The apartment complex we're in just expanded our patio, so it's not large for a yard, but it's big for a patio. The combination of no yard + big dog means we get out for a lot of walks.

I like the idea of not spending more than $1/lb on produce. We're going to try to grow more food on our patio, and my parents have a garden and share their bounty. Public transportation is fine -- not great, but not horrible. Unfortunately, we moved farther away from my work after the tiny house didn't work out, so now I'm stuck driving, though it's only a 15-20 minute commute. Public transportation would take over an hour. As someone who worked for the local transit agency, it makes me sad that I can't use transit or bike more, but I opted for cheaper rent, so that was the trade-off.
    PS: Join me for a newsletter on simplifying to make time for what we love. Message me with "I'm in" to join.

Hi SteveinMN!

I haven't done any tech business writing, since most of the tech is over my head. I do more writing for government agencies and occasionally for magazines or trade publications.

You're right, there is a predilection for the newest, latest tech toy, and the valley is full of early adopters. It kind of benefits me, though, because other people can be my testers. I can see what they like and don't like before I decide if I want to make an investment, and that way, I don't feel like it's such a risk.

Yppej
    When I was first married we lived in a guest house, like Kato Kaelin. The "kitchen" was a minifridge and microwave and we washed dishes in the bathroom sink. We only moved because we relocated out of state. If you are happy that is all that matters.

Yppej, that sounds small! The one thing I need is a way to cook and bake. It's how I'm trying to keep costs down, and with a baby, it's easier than going out. Our apartment kitchen is tiny, and we just have a breakfast bar, no table, but it works for us. Like you said, we're happy here and that's what matters.

Hi Colleen,
    It sounds great. I used to have a black Lab, too. I loved him. They are such sweet dogs. That's an excellent commute for that area. I grew up in San Mateo. You are also close to Russian River, which is beautiful! I was just there visiting a childhood friend.
    How nice that your parents will share their produce. I bet you will be able to grow a lot on your patio, especially herbs. Congratulations on finding an affordable rent. I would love to move to Healdsburg, but it's very expensive. It's such a charming town.

Hi, Colleen, welcome! I used to live in Santa Cruz and we left in 2001 because it was so expensive then. I know it's only gotten crazier since.

You're very smart to live frugally so you can stay there. The whole Bay area is wonderful. I wish you much luck!

Geila
    Hi Colleen! Fellow Silicon Valley dweller here. Our climate certainly helps make small space living more enjoyable. There is so much to do that's free and available year-round. And living simply is awesome of course. If you haven't read the book Your Money Or Your Life by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin, I highly recommend it. It made a HUGE impact on my life and it made retiring in the Bay Area very doable.

Looking forward to hearing about your simple living adventures!

Thanks Philokalia! Do you miss the beach? I think that would be the hardest thing for me.

Hi Geila,
    I haven't read that book, but I've heard of it and was considering adding it to my list. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll see if our library has it.

Congrats on being able to retire here. I don't know if I'll be able to do that, but semi-retirement at least is a goal of mine. I want to keep writing as long as I can.

Thread Information