Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got accepted into Master Gardener's program!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    This sounds so cool! I learned a lot about gardening in this funky climate of the lower Sonoran Desert in a different way - I was dating a guy years ago who worked for the Desert Botanical Gardens here in Phoenix and because of this I had the chance to sit in on a lot of classes about gardening in the lower desert. I learned a lot about organic fertilzers such as fish fertilizer being preferable in the lower deserts due to how alkaline (salty) the soil is here as this whole area was once under sea water, as hard as that is to believe. I learned a lot about growing roses, which kinds grow best and can handle the intense heat best, and which vegetables are worth a go here and which need to be coddled and babysat and are very high maintenance. It sounds like this program will teach you these basics for where you are and that's great! Gardening is so peaceful, too - it's very calming to me and a healthy way to take a breather from how fast life and society moves these days, and a way, in the middle of the sixth most populous city in the US (Phoenix really is that big now) to reconnect with nature. Have fun and learn all you can is what I say, congrats! Rob

Nice. We have people from our local MG program offering advice and answering questions at the weekly farmer's market.

Locally we also have a Master Birder program with similar requirements. I have been tempted to sign up for one or the other. Both are a pretty major time commitment.

Rob, I was at the Desert Botanical Garden probably 15 years ago when I took advantage of a layover to see my golf pro son, who was teaching in Scottsdale. (See pic below.) It's amazing!! I loved it. I was in my mid-40s before I even saw a cactus IRL.

PHX Botanical Garden.jpg

Rogar, it is a big time commitment. I'm a little nervous about that because of my travel schedule, but I'll take it a week at a time and do my best to schedule travel around it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, I hope it works out for you.My friend did Master Gardener in Maryland and she loves it. It is a big time commitment, but she loves to be busy.
    Gimme- I loved that Botanical Garden- saw it in 03 and that trip was the first time I'd seen a real cactus, too. I never thought about roses in the desert climate.

Thread Information