Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe my cat is not well - what to do?

Maybe my cat is not well - what to do?

I have a gorgeous Siamese boy cat whom I adore beyond reason. I took him in as a feral some six years ago and I reckon his age is 9 or 10. He has always been wonderfully healthy and has gradually overcome his shy, anxious nature to be loving and calm. Since we are new to this town, I have not yet found a veterinarian but think there is something going on with his health. In the past few days, he has become very lethargic and acts like he's stoned for lack of a better description. Is that worthing taking him to a vet for a potentially expensive workup? Or should I give it a few more days? What would you do if he was your cat? He goes outside but never leaves the yard and is still eating. I am worried...

I'd probably watch him one more day, but if he didn't improve, take him to the vet before the weekend. Cuz....weekend vet appts are spendy. If he's still eating, that's a good sign. If he started hiding or acting strangely, that's an indicator usually of something going on.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I had a Siamese boy who lived to be 18. I would take my boy the vet if he started acting unusual whether weekday/night or weekend. In my experience, if something does not look right it usually isn't so I would not wait (plus I would probably not sleep at night due to worry). You know your boy best, do which ever you feel most comfortable with.

Is he drinking or eating more than usual or increased bathroom visits? Cats develop diabetes so that would be my first concern. I'd go ahead and get him in the vet and schedule blood work.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I have now called three vets to schedule an appointment and been told "we are not taking new clients" until next month. And that if I'd like to be a new client at that time, I have to follow their prevention program - vaccinations, heart worm, etc on a scheduled basis Huh? When did the animal doctor business turn into such a racket? I guess I will have to pay an emergency clinic as I don't know what else to do.

My vet does walk-ins when a pet is sick and you do not need to be a client. I would search on the internet and see if you can find one that does this.

While I tend not to be terribly worried about the cats if they are still eating normal amounts, his being lethargic is a big red flag. Cats do everything they can to hide illness.

The best general practice vet in my area does require the regular cAre you describe or will not take you as a patient, "you" meaning pet owner of course. He was our vet for two of our dogs and he gave extraordinary cAre.

With our current dog we are use a vet clinic, the one nearest our house snd one we have used for 30 years, that takes walkin appts and doesnt require all of the regular treatments (although we do it.)

But no, I dont think it is a racket.

Our cat got very lethargic and was still eating and it turned out she was hypothyroid and went on medicine immediately.

Do you have a Banfield near you--it is in one of the bigbox pet stores. I think they take walk ins.

We also do all the required vaccines, etc. WE have rescued and rescue groups won't approve you if you don't keep up with everything. Although, now my dogs are old and don't need anything but rabies due to age and illness. However, vet care in our local area is extremely expensive which is why we will no longer have 4 dogs. We will get down to 1 or 2 due to natural attrition. My friends that live in the Midwest or KS or TX pay about a third of what we do. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My vet does walk-ins when a pet is sick and you do not need to be a client. I would search on the internet and see if you can find one that does this.
    My vet takes sick pets and emergencies as well. I was in the waiting room one time when I overheard the receptionist say to a caller 'have you been here before' - answer obviously no as she proceeded to take personal information - then said 'can you be here at 2'. They also take walk-ins in such cases. I live in a small community but never heard of a vet turning a pet away for an emergency or sickness.

Thread Information