Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mostly for Rob: please explain the concept of social classes

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Ah yes--what I characterize as the "chewed off by weasels bedhead look."
    Hahahah.

I have seen women of all ages wearing the first one you posted, Iris, and no one of any age wearing the second one.

I don't see where entitlement comes in--isn't entitlement in the eye of the beholder?

Are you seriously saying that entitlement equals being able to afford to go get a haircut?

I don't understand where this mocking of "soccer moms" comes from; it seems to be a socially acceptable scapegoat these days. I think it's another expression of anti-women sentiment. Remember in the 50's, where everything was Mom's fault? The "smother mother." Well guess what, it still is.

But, as I said, I haven't had a child in soccer for 25 years.

This is the one I dont like, reminds me of 80's frizzy big hair:
    people's hair can fall into ringlets naturally. don't blame people for how they were born (although there also seems a bit of a cut involved there, she probably curls it as hair is a bit fine to be the curly variety). I've seen people wearing the first one (good luck doing it with curls though unless you straighten it first) and not exactly the second but ringlets yea sometimes have to look no further than the mirror.
    Trees don't grow on money

Are you seriously saying that entitlement equals being able to afford to go get a haircut?
    No. I mean that its a meme going around with people who work retail that this type of person always demands to talk to the manager in a not very nice way. The haircut itself means nothing, its that a lot of women who have that haircut aren't very nice to service people. See link below.

https://yourfriendshouse.com/opinion...al-phenomenon/

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I have seen women of all ages wearing the first one you posted, Iris, and no one of any age wearing the second one.

I don't see where entitlement comes in--isn't entitlement in the eye of the beholder?

I don't understand where this mocking of "soccer moms" comes from; it seems to be a socially acceptable scapegoat these days. I think it's another expression of anti-women sentiment. Remember in the 50's, where everything was Mom's fault? The "smother mother." Well guess what, it still is.

But, as I said, I haven't had a child in soccer for 25 years.
    I distinctly remember two women a bit older than me engaging in a pissing match about their then-trendy angled hair cuts. "You can't get THIS done in the city!" said one. " oh I know, I go to John Paul Le Blah Bleh Blah in Clayton*" said the other angle haired matron.

Yeah these things are class markers. Fortunately I didn't want an angled haircut then and I don't want a trendy one now. I do think some kind of classic short haircut for me would be good but I am Too lazy to maintain one.

* Clayton= toney suburb of St. louis

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I have seen women of all ages wearing the first one you posted, Iris, and no one of any age wearing the second one...
    Here is a more common version of it with more relaxed waves. This is all over Hollywood.I think it is awful.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    No. I mean that its a meme going around with people who work retail that this type of person always demands to talk to the manager in a not very nice way. The haircut itself means nothing, its that a lot of women who have that haircut aren't very nice to service people. See link below.

https://yourfriendshouse.com/opinion...al-phenomenon/
    Kate Gosselin emulators, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think I know it, it has angles.

It signifies that one goes to a salon because it is not something you can do yourself.

every time I think I might chop off my hair, I remember that i then have to go to a salon occasionally to have it cut. ugh, no thanks, I will continue to pile it into a clip in a messy granny 'do.
    I love granny do's! Don't cut your hair! I'm feeling such a freedom with my new salt-and-pepper barely-manageable wavey/frizzy do. (My hair has the same look and temperament as Blythe Danner's but I can never get it to look that good!)

http://images.chinatopix.com/data/th...he-danner.jpeg

Re the sociology of haircuts.. I love this discussion. I think hair is such a status symbol.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Re the sociology of haircuts.. I love this discussion. I think hair is such a status symbol.
    It's a fascinating sub-bunny-trail!

Here in the Pacific NW (and perhaps on a wider scale), certain haircuts are used to convey gender identity, orientation, and other odds-and-ends, and then inevitably get coopted by the "mainstream" and confusion and alarum results.

Me, I'm just glad I have hair left.

Someone grilled me on my "interesting" beard style the other day. I had to let them down and tell them that it was simply the largest beard/moustache that would fit inside a Scott SCBA facepiece, and that I used a template every morning to keep it in-spec.

Yppej
    Hair can convey things. To try to express individuality with the stifling dress code at work one of the IT guys has put bright blue streaks in his hair.

Thread Information