Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutter Is...

Clutter Is...

As seen on my FB news feed just now:

"Clutter is nothing more than postponed decisions." --Barbara Hemphill

Talk amongst yourselves.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We refer to it as delayed decision making. We are constantly reminding each other to stay on top of things so we don't end up like our parents.

Clutter is too much stuff draining energy.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

"Clutter is nothing more than postponed decisions." --Barbara Hemphill
    I had an old tea cozy sitting on my dryer as it needed a new cover. It really didn't fit my new teapot too well but I could make it bigger maybe...

Garbage day today, I decided it needed to go. I have the materials for making another the right size but kept postponing making the decision.

This quote is going to be my mantra for the next few weeks as I need to declutter - unfinished paintings, unused CFL bulbs, excess screws... some can be donated to Habitat for Humanity but it is going. Thanks for this thread.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yeah I think that's true. I did think about it a bit and considered all of the stuff hoarded because "someday I will need it" but daily clutter is very much indicative of Lack of decision-making.

It seems like I spent a lot of time cleaning up clutter around here.

I don't do clutter. It's craziness to me. Everything in our home has a home. It goes back when we're done with it. And before I go to bed everything is in it's place. (DH does our dishes because I cook. He does dishes after I go to bed. i put them away in the morning.)

At first reading, I was inclined to agree with the statement.

Thinking more about it, I'm not inclined to disagree with the statement. But most of the clutter in this house seems to come not from postponing decisions, but never making them in the first place. Stuff just ends up wherever it was convenient to drop it. There does not seem to be even a thought about where it ends up. Drives me crazy.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

In my case, many of the decisions have been made, but the action has been delayed. Example - this morning I decided to leave the cooler ice packs drying on the table and put them away later because the power was out and I didn't want to open the freezer. they are still on the table dry, the power is back on, and I am tired and my feet hurt. I don't want to take them down to the basement.

To me, clutter is about living in the past and/or living in the future but not living in the present. When I take my focus off living where my hands are...here and now, I start keeping too many mementos from the past, or collecting things for someday, when I loss 10 pounds or when I get the house on the lake or whatever. All that junk then clutters up the present and makes it less rewarding to be in the present because it is a big mess.

Why is the clutter of one's SO awful, but one's own clutter is ok? Anyway...

I have mentioned several times that DH is a keeper of stuff. And today I Will admit that it comes in handy. Yes! Sometimes that clutter trove can be mined for very useful stuff that one occasionally needs.

In preparing to go to Europe, I was all a twitter about how I was going to plug in electronics. Lo and behold, DH came up with a European conversion kit. Apparently there are multiple plug types in Europe, one ki d inthe Czech Republic, another kind in Romania. We are vacationing in both places. So i wondered if the things would really work but I drug them along anyway, heavy stuff in my suitcase. Today, as my IPAD dwindled in battery charge I plugged in the unit and voila, it did work!

But then I crawled along the floor of my hotel room and found a simple converter plug already installed. So as it turn out, no need for the heay piece. But who knows maybe I will need it in Romania, we stay in several hotels during that leg of our trip.

I also needed a simple, light billfold. I asked DH if he had one and yes, again, he pulled just the thing I needed out of his reserve.

The lesson here is that sometimes the hoard DOES come in handy.

Thread Information