Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My son is looking to move out

My son is looking to move out

I am kinda stressed, I don't want to hold him back if he is ready to move but when I signed this lease (with him on it) I talked to him about making that year commitment. He pays a couple bills and part of the rent increase of $75 a month, and I still struggle to pay my student loans.

I am about to head out for the second part of camping but I need to talk to him before I go. His girlfriend probably does not understand this. She is about to go to Europe with her family, my son's dad just got back from 3 weeks in Spain. I don't like to do poor talk, I am fine overall and it makes me feel like I am broke when I am not (involuntary frugal?) but sometimes I may need to bluntly explain the situation.

It might be nice to have the space to myself, if I could afford it. The lease is up in May so i was going to start looking for places in March.

Yppej
    Can you get a roommate?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Can you get a roommate?
    I think this is a great idea, and would be much less stressful for me than having my son as my roommate. Not to dis any of my sons, but they are very independent and could not wait to be out on their own, and I think it might be easier to negotiate space with someone who was not my offspring. Better for our relationship, too.

It seems a little overwhelming to find a roommate, although in Denver I am sure there are lots of people looking. I am really used to my own quiet kid and his habits after all. But I could charge someone more, I had just been hoping to get an efficiency type place when he was ready to move out, or rent a room, and pay the loans off.

If the market is hot for apartments/sharing in Denver than you could be selective with an interview process. Plus you only have to put up with it for 9 months. Or maybe airBNB it? Then you have more control over the time that you're committed to sharing with someone.

But I agree that if your son is ready to move out, he's ready. I wouldn't try to hold him back.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I would hold him to his committment.

I like Catherine's air bnb idea--why not look it up and see what apartments in your area get. It could be very lucrative.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I would hold him to his committment.

Certainly any other landlord would, and there is liability to the roommates. (lesson to learn before moving in with someone that age)

I would discuss with him that you rented that place because you were counting on some help with bills. Staying 9 more months will not kill him. Part of growing up is honoring your commitments. I much rather live with one of my kids then a stranger.

He signed a business agreement as a roommate, not an "I will help Mom with her bills" casual arrangement. don't bring up your bills-this is not about your bills.

Discuss the business agreement.

Thread Information