Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acceptance or Change?

Yppej

Acceptance or Change?

To what extent do you accept yourself as is (e.g., with extra weight) which is mentally healthy and to what extent do you try to change yourself, which is physically healthy?

They are not mutually exclusive concepts. There needs to be acceptance of reality, so you know you can/need/want to change.

If your a size 10 you can't be all that overweight even if on the shorter side I'd imagine. So I wonder how much of a HEALTH problem being slightly overweight even is (I'm addressing health, people might want to lose weight for aesthetic reasons etc. and that is their business of course!). Of course very overweight can be a health problem. I'd advise most people (except anorexics ) to try to avoid gaining weight over time which is afterall much easier to do than losing weight (exercise does help to avoid gaining weight, don't believe anyone who says otherwise, of course it's not the be all and end all).
    Trees don't grow on money

I agree with APN, does your DR say you need to drop lbs? Or is it a vanity thing?

keeping up with vanity expectations is exhausting.

Yppej
    The news the other day said you should not gain more than 5 lbs between ages 20 and 55 for health reasons. That did not strike me as realistic, but as something that will discourage people.

Edited to add, this is based on a JAMA study published online on July 18.

Http://www.news.harvard.edu

Scroll down to see "Older, heavier, more at risk".

Just looking at one number such as weight or BMI is not indicative of the entirety of a person's health. Nutrition, strength, posture, lung capacity, blood work, bone strength, and pure genes are also factors to consider.

A person can be very unhealthy at age 20 with anorexia or a tremendous weight gain. There is nothing special about age 20 (except that I could eat anything I wanted and not gain weight.)

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The news the other day said you should not gain more than 5 lbs between ages 20 and 55 for health reasons. That did not strike me as realistic, but as something that will discourage people.
    I can easily lose 8 pounds during a few hours' work - this is mostly water of course. I can lose 20-30 pounds during wilderness outings, most of which is not water, as I tend to travel light and know how long I can go on minimal calories and still be functional. (I hate those wilderness "survival" shows where they stress out about trying to eat bugs and moss on Day One....)

I can gain 25-50 pounds pretty quickly if I do certain things, but it's almost all muscle, which is handy if I need it, but overkill and hard on my joints if I don't.

You can reshape your body in relatively short time-frames if you have the desire to do so.

Picking some arbitrary weight you had at 20 seems silly. At 20 I was doing full-contact unlimited-weight martial arts events and wrestling, and was well over 300 pounds. I'm considerably smaller now, because I like my knees and ankles, and it's a lot of work maintaining that kind of weight in a healthy configuration. I'm planning on cutting down further in a few years, to protect my joints, and focus more on flexibility and stringy-strength.

Yppej
    My ankle joints have been bothering me after I sit for an hour or so, or when I get up in the morning. So I can somewhat dress to disguise the weight but I can't counteract the health effects. I am probably 35 pounds more than I was at 20.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    If your a size 10 you can't be all that overweight even if on the shorter side I'd imagine. So I wonder how much of a HEALTH problem being slightly overweight even is (I'm addressing health, people might want to lose weight for aesthetic reasons etc. and that is their business of course!). Of course very overweight can be a health problem. I'd advise most people (except anorexics ) to try to avoid gaining weight over time which is afterall much easier to do than losing weight (exercise does help to avoid gaining weight, don't believe anyone who says otherwise, of course it's not the be all and end all).

Size 10 for me is enormous!!! It all depends on your bone structure and body type.

Yppej
    And today I tried on a size 12 pair of jeans and they felt so much more comfortable than a 10. My weight gain has followed the same trajectory as my mother's although I eat better and exercise more than she did at my age. My father has always been thin but I did not get those genes. It almost feels like why try sometimes, and feel badly when you don't succeed?

Thread Information