Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acceptance or Change?

I think that if your weight is affecting your quality of life, it is not ok to just accept it. If what you are doing is not working, then you need to look into other ideas - talk to your doctor about your diet and exercise program. Maybe talk to a nutritionist.

Otoh, if you are happier with sore ankles and some limits to your mobility instead of changing your diet and/or activities, then accept the weight. Be honest with yourself. It is your life.

my dad is a heart patient. He eats food he knows is really bad for him a couple of times a year because it is important to his enjoyment of life. He also exercises less than he should because he sometimes skips it to do other things that are important to him.

he always takes his medication because it is easy to do, he can afford it, and the benefits out weigh the side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The news the other day said you should not gain more than 5 lbs between ages 20 and 55 for health reasons. That did not strike me as realistic, but as something that will discourage people.

Edited to add, this is based on a JAMA study published online on July 18.

Http://www.news.harvard.edu

Scroll down to see "Older, heavier, more at risk".
    Not realistic but idealistic if all circumstances were perfect.
    With all the junk food, preservatives, etc, how many start off anywhere close to their "ideal" weight these days? I think the closest I ever was, was 10lbs over my "ideal" weight, due to asthma that I have had my whole life (kept me out of the military).
    But we as a population know there are health issues with being overweight, so I don't think this idealized study, is hampering many. I know my great aunts and uncles on one side, all had a medical condition that is genetic, but my grandfather didn't have (til very near end of life), due to massive overweight.

I lost 40lbs after retiring by upping my walking and counting calories. My joints felt a lot better. It took me a year. I have kept it off for 2 years now. I am still a little overweight but at a certain weight I could not lose anymore so I just concentrated at that point on maintaining. So I guess I changed what I could and accepted the rest.

Yppej
    When the cooler weather comes I will try to get more active, but I feel my body has a will of its own. The woman with the candy jar has been on vacation for 2 weeks so I have not been indulging in that one vice, but my weight has gone up not down.

Yppej
    I was trying to find SteveinMN's post about the keto diet so I could recommend it. After starting this thread I decided not to be a defeatist. I read up on that approach and I have now lost 4 pounds, 2 over the past week, despite a couple of small lapses (birthday cake for a coworker and popcorn at work made for the entire office staff this past week).

My exercise is up a little but still moderate. I just do not have the time for extensive working out with a 2+ hour daily commute, so I credit the diet. I hope I can keep losing. I'd like to shed another 15 pounds, which would leave me 5 pounds above where I was before I gave birth 20+ years ago, and 25 pounds above my near anorexic weight at high school graduation.

How is that defeatist, I'm defeatist on that diet. I was counting the carbs in kale and chard and cucumbers and limiting my consumption of them to get carb content down. It was that crazy (to get under 20 NET carbs a day it really truly is that crazy). Never mind counting the carbs in things that actually have a ton of carbs like onions, no more cooking with onions. Even in macadamia nuts I carefully counted up the carbs and never mind other nuts which were pretty much OFF LIMITS or only in the tiniest portion due to carbs. This is what you actually need to do to get under 20 net carbs a day - just look up the the carb content for yourself - you really can not achieve that ridiculous level otherwise - but have to stay in ketosis. And then after all that effort it made me sick anyway! And I could no longer use the bathroom, it's not a functionality one thinks about losing but gone ... and then one feels sad (my body no longer works - in the most basic if not exactly cocktail party conversation way). Too extreme? Oh I'm sure it was too extreme! The thing is if the net carb count is actually supposed to be under 20 ... maybe that kind of diet is just too extreme for anyone pretty much (at this point I'm not even arguing with the 100 net carbs a day or 50 net carbs a day people because that probably works much better).

Low fat. Sure. Low carb at a more moderate level. Ok, doubt it's a problem. But that diet? Ugh, I might not do it if I had epilepsy! And it's all a bunch of whatever either, it might make you less hungry, but if it makes you sick it's a bad bargain. And any diet that lowers calories will work. So yes low fat will work (if you can stand the blandness, the bland leading the bland - blandness forever - you also need to be able to stand the higher fiber), low carb at a more moderate level will work, calorie counting will work (but even if one is up for the anality of it - especially as it's not all that exact anyway but if you are in the ballpark ..), most people VASTLY underestimate calorie needs and go far too low and so are crazy hungry - many people - not everyone but probably most - could probably lose weight on 2000 calories a day but are trying to subsist on much less if low calorie dieting).

2 hour a day commute and no time to exercise. I lift weights at the gym twice a week (it doesn't take that long, you don't need to spend that much time to build some muscle) and do a two hour commute, I also take walks. I debate spending more time at the gym, but then the issue at that point isn't commute but my motivation, better to go twice a week and actually go than aim for more and not.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 8-20-17 at 4:33pm.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I used the diet as a springboard, and Googled similar terms. I am not counting carbs or calories, but fasting 12 hours in every 24 hour period, drinking water and caffeinated beverages including green tea, avoiding all added sugar and eating as much as I want from above ground vegetables including legumes and tomatoes, for below ground vegetables garlic and members of the onion family, herbs, mints, berries, avocadoes, olives, seeds, nuts except macadamias which I love so much I will eat the whole bag at once, tofu, fungi, seaweed, eggs, certain cheeses, soy milk, half and half for my work coffee, and Oikos Triple Zero yogurt. My garden is finally producing and that is a big help. I use olive oil in moderation along with lemon juice. I take a daily vitamin since without grains I think I may need vitamin B supplementation.

LCHF/Keto diets are not for everyone. I'm getting in about 25-30 carbs a day, but, then again, I'm counting "just" carbs (not net) and I'm not aiming for medical ketosis, either. ANM, your regimen took real dedication! I'm not sure I'm up for that level of "accounting" right now.

It's not easy. I never eat anything with grain in it, eat no fruit or root vegetables beyond random slices of carrots, don't touch anything with added sugar, and am careful about how much I eat in dairy products and "high-sugar" vegetables like onions and tomatoes. I've also chosen for now to eliminate artificial sweeteners and soy products. (I'm not sure how long that will last.) It also still feels weird to go high-fat -- sour cream as a snack (the way some people eat pudding), not trimming meat, copious amounts of salad dressing and butter. But that's what makes it work or I constantly would be prowling for food and snapping at anything that moved.

Right now mealtimes are kind of boring because there's little variation in what I make for myself. But there's enough else going on in life that if food is just fuel right now, that's OK. It'll change later. Right now I can see the results in my blood-glucose levels and I'm still losing weight. In another month or so it will be time for another A1c and cholesterol test, so I'll get the more official confirmation of what I'm doing.

As for blandness in diets, my experience is a little different, I guess. I like spice (and so far it still likes me) so pepper sauce or a cut-up jalapeño or a little salsa helps out. I have a pantry shelf full of spice/herb blends I can use on eggs or cottage cheese or salads or steamed veggies (some contain sugar, though, so they're used very sparingly or not at all). I know some people are advised to limit sodium intake, but they haven't told me that yet and so I'd rather go a little high on that than to go high on carbs.

It's all a balancing act and it has to be just non-extreme enough to stay pretty close to the plan. I'm interested to see what happens come the holidays. I can see eating what I can eat before I get to the party and then just nibbling there. Or bringing something I know I can eat. There will be temptations. And there may be a "oh, the &%^$ with it" meals, too....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Geila
    Steve - how long have you been on keto? I would estimate that I'm currently at 30 gr. Today I wasn't hungry at all and kind of had to force myself to eat breakfast at 10:30 am, and one of my salad meals at 4:30 pm. The Atkins book said don't go more than 6 waking hours without food, so tomorrow if I'm not hungry again I might try waiting to see how long it takes for my body to feel hungry as long as I don't exceed the 6 hours. Have you had days like this?

oh if I tried something like that again I'd do something less extreme, I wouldn't worry about carbs in greens or cucumbers of avocados or artichokes, but what's more I wouldn't worry about cooking with onions or garlic, I definitely wouldn't reduce the onions in basically meat and veggie recipes out of counting carbs in them. I'd eat a small handful of nuts a day and wouldn't limit to macadamias (nuts are good for bathroom issues ha - sorry - that diet ...). I doubt I'd worry about red bell peppers or carrot shavings or even maybe eating actual WHOLE carrots! So yea I wouldn't worry about whether I was in or out of ketosis but just how my body was doing, if I tired something like that again.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information