Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Better Deal

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    UL.....it will look like this.

https://youtu.be/PpjscJmSg8g
    LOL... but still, it will never happen here.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    LOL... but still, it will never happen here.
    And Donald Trump couldn't possibly become President.......as I recall you saying.

And Donald Trump couldn't possibly become President.......as I recall you saying.
    Ha!

I know. I know. But America will collapse before single payer happens.

The supposed new slogan and plan are more about an economic agenda to regain some of the populist base. I could not read much into about big health care issues other than prescription drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The better deal may include single payer. For some folks who could benefit read the last two pages of The Daily Rave feed. Maybe running on leftie values like health care is a right instead of waffling around in the middle will work for them.
    It's worth a try. They could hardly do worse than they've been doing with the identity politics approach.

I'd also like to see the GOP move back in the direction of the philosophy that made me a conservative in the first place.

UL.....it will look like this.

https://youtu.be/PpjscJmSg8g
    They could call it Kumbayahcare.

If health insurance (its kind of irritating when people say "care" when they really mean "insurance") actually ever does get "settled", what will be the next battleground issue? Free college? Shoring up Social Security? Maybe something really ambitious like universal basic income or facing the deficit like adults?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    They could call it Kumbayahcare.

If health insurance (its kind of irritating when people say "care" when they really mean "insurance") actually ever does get "settled", what will be the next battleground issue? Free college? Shoring up Social Security? Maybe something really ambitious like universal basic income or facing the deficit like adults?
    It's a question of resource management.

Here's a video of two hypothetical families: One in the US and one in Denmark. The biggest difference I see between the two countries that makes this not really an apples:apples scenario is that Denmark doesn't have a huge defense budget. But I think this video does a really good job of explaining "where the money comes from":

http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/...&utm_medium=fb
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    It's a question of resource management.

Here's a video of two hypothetical families: One in the US and one in Denmark. The biggest difference I see between the two countries that makes this not really an apples:apples scenario is that Denmark doesn't have a huge defense budget. But I think this video does a really good job of explaining "where the money comes from":

http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/...&utm_medium=fb
    Is “happiness” (at least the variety measured by opinion polls) the true measure of a country’s greatness? If Denmark or Bhutan claim to be happier than our fractious, querulous, competitive nation, is that a sign of superiority or mere complacency? Could they not merely be suffering from a dearth of aspiration, content so long as the trough is full?

I suspect that if some wizard were to suddenly impose on us a system of government identical to Denmark’s, we still wouldn’t report ourselves as happy. This country is populated mainly by the descendants of unreasonable people: religious zealots, criminals, slaves, failed rebels, wealth seekers, refugees from tyranny and poverty and the malcontents and rejects of many nations. We have demonstrated throughout our history, rich and poor alike, that we are not satisfied with what we have. And we certainly don’t like to share our toys. I can’t imagine any welfare state we might construct changing that anytime soon. Nor can I imagine us choosing dependence on others rather than dirty our hands in the ugly work of defending ourselves against our enemies. In that sense, we may truly be exceptional.

The motley crew that you describe as what makes up the fabric of this country is true enough, and I think it's its strength. As I've said before, my own ancestors were a couple of boats behind the Mayflower, and apparently my 11th great-grandmother died in a Salem prison. It never ceases to amaze me--the fortitude and courage these people had to leave a "good enough" life and weather so many complete unknowns. Just amazing.

I have no argument about the pursuit of "better." But I don't think the "better" of the 17th century is the same as "better" for the 19th or the 21st. Our "better" can be a pursuit of other kinds of wealth. And I don't necessarily think pure self-interest at the expense of others is branded into our national DNA. Toddlers don't like sharing toys, but then they grow up.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    The motley crew that you describe as what makes up the fabric of this country is true enough, and I think it's its strength. As I've said before, my own ancestors were a couple of boats behind the Mayflower, and apparently my 11th great-grandmother died in a Salem prison. It never ceases to amaze me--the fortitude and courage these people had to leave a "good enough" life and weather so many complete unknowns. Just amazing.

I have no argument about the pursuit of "better." But I don't think the "better" of the 17th century is the same as "better" for the 19th or the 21st. Our "better" can be a pursuit of other kinds of wealth. And I don't necessarily think pure self-interest at the expense of others is branded into our national DNA. Toddlers don't like sharing toys, but then they grow up.
    That's true, and there may be much of the ignoble in our past and present, but I think as a culture we are loathe to let anyone else decide "better" for us. It might be brilliant achievement, unselfish service, crass self-promotion or vulgar hoarding, but I hope we will always be hostile to the would-be circumscribers of our ambitions. God preserve us from any nannies with the power to make us grow up.

Thread Information