Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Day in the Life

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    How do you all know these details? Do you write them down?
    Am I developing Alzheimers? I don't remember this kindof detail.
    The times are kinda-sorta approximate--best guess. I did consult my email to get some idea as to when I did things like respond to clients, talk to DD, etc.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I cannot imagine taking 5 hours to clean the house. Not nearly enough energy for that. I do jobs in little spurts. Dust, rest, dry mop, rest, vacuum, rest....Like Iris Lily I am surprised at how much time I waste on tv and computer. Reading isn't wasting time! We just spent 3 hours clearing out under our porch and repairing the screen to keep out the groundhog who has decided it might be a lovely new home....We keep way too much stuff that we think will be useful. That space is clear now and will NOT be utilized for anything.

On a typical day the dogs wake me up around 7:30. I take them outside and then in for am treats and meds. Then I make coffee and read the paper. After that I go to the computer with my breakfast. By 9 am we are out the door to walk our big dog because it is hot and he has a big, black coat. We take him to park where he swims in river first and then we take an hour walk. We are home by about 10:30. Since we eat a small breakfast I start making lunch which is our big meal of the day. I check to see if anything needs grading and work on that. I also set up robots to sweep and mop. I usually spread out the cleaning in small chunks over 3-4 days/week. One day/week I run errands. A few times/week DH and I go out to eat or go to festivals. The remainder of day I am on forums and then at 5 I watch news and knit scarves for the homeless. I usually eat a bowl of oatmeal for evening meal and DH eats a salad. Once/week I have my kids over for dinner and every few weeks one of my friends. Sat's we are usually gone for the day with some event.

Okay...

7:30 - wake up, make bed, have tea, read the paper and do the crossword, check email
    8:30 - water the garden
    9:30 - go for a walk with my dog, make rice and beans for later.
    11-1- ride my bike to library, workout at gym, window shopping
    1- 1:30 - salad with rice and beans
    1:30- 3 - physical therapy
    3-5 - reading and snacking on raw veggies and hummus
    5-7 - pick up DD at friend's house, go to grocery store. Spend a lot of time debating various curry powders, pastes, and mixes.
    7-9 - play with dog, do dishes, sweep house, tidy up
    9-11 - reading
    11 - lie out and watch the stars for a bit.
    11:30ish - bedtime
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

I couldn't recall all these daily details either unless I wrote it as it happened but I suppose they follow a general pattern. Either crows or roosters wake us up around 5:30. Feeding cats. Two cups of coffee while perusing internet or paper. Breakfast mid-morning. Errands on some mornings since I like to avoid traffic times. Laundry, dishes, vacuum etc. Weeding. Walk the park or neighborhood daily. Various home improvement chores such as this week, ripping up old carpet so hardwoods can be refinished in two weeks. Trying to figure out where to put all the furniture when floors get done. Bills and or paperwork. Brief chats with neighbors. Emails to friends or family back home. I think if we are trying to take note of stress though, my last week was very stressful. In between all the normal stuff, I had out of town family here for five days along with multiple trips to a faraway vet with a very sick cat. Then having to drive guests to airport in Denver and back during heavy rainstorms and rush hour traffic. It always seems to be all or none.

Now that I am semi-retired and work from home about 10 hours/week i have a very low stress life. The college I work for is very hands-off so actually I don't have a boss which is wonderful. Probably the most stressful thing that happens is when one of my old dog is sick and needs to go to the vet. One of my rescue dogs is 20 and was sick this week. Did lab work and found out that her kidneys are failing. She had been shaking so they gave her meds for pain which are working. Her quality of life is high and she has plenty of energy. I am sure that will change soon. 2 months ago I lost my 12 yo favorite doggie to heart failure and strokes. WE also have a 12 yo husky/shepherd mix and a 13 yo Maltese.

I don't think I can bring myself to do a step-by-step accounting with all the minutiae, but I do think it's interesting to see that at least so far, I get up earlier (alarm goes off at 4:11 AM) and go to bed earlier than anyone else (9:00 PM on average). On the weekends, it might be more like 5:30 Am - 9:30 PM. Clearly living the wild life here.

Most of my days are pretty standard. Get up around 7:00. Shower, shave, and eat Breakfast.
    Then it's either a golf day, airplane day, range day, boat day, or work around the house day.
    generally around 7:00 I like to watch shows on Netflix.
    around 9:30-10:00 I'm usually back in bed.

there is some internet time, and meals in there also.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    How do you all know these details? Do you write them down?
    Am I developing Alzheimers? I don't remember this kindof detail.
    Detail is my life. I'm the one who notices typos in signs and superimposed text on the TV news. I'm the one who notices that one of the four bulbs in the light fixture has a different color temperature. I'm the one who notices that the car is making a new noise. I'm the one who notices advertising nonsense terms like "farm-raised chicken" and wonders how else a chicken can be raised for food-production purposes.

It's a curse.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Geila's day would kill me. I can't imagine cleaning for 5 hours.

Teacher Terry's day would also kill me, but for me it would be inactivity (i'm seeing an hour of dog walking as the only significant movement?) combined with misery (cooking, events, socializing)

i asked the the butcher where they raised the non-farm raised beef and he named an inner city neighborhood (joking of course)

Thread Information