Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: San Francisco travel advice needed

Hey, becky liz - my dh (musician) used to play at the Moonraker all the time!

A place I adore, further down the peninsula, is Filoli - an English style country house and garden.

The Santa Cruz mountains run down the peninsula south of San Francisco, and if you want to get off the beaten path, check out the little towns of Pescadero and San Gregorio (San gregorio is little more than a general store - but what a general store!) There are awesome beaches all along Hwy 1.

Further up the coast is the better-known Half moon bay - lots of boutiques and good food.

My favorite museum in SF is the Legion of Honor. Do not expect world class museums, though.

Thanks very much to all. Yesterday, I copied all the comments and suggestions for us to review when we get together to plan what we are doing.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I only had one day to spend in San Francisco three years ago (first time there) and really wanted to go over the Golden Gate Bridge. I stumbled across this in the AAA Tourbook and did it. You ride an antique fire truck around some of SF, over the bridge, around Sausalito, and back to SF. They also stop for a photo op with the bridge in the background before returning. I believe it was $40 + a tip. I had a blast! https://www.sanfranciscofireenginetours.com/

Point Reyes, in the NW part of the Marin Headlands is also a cute town. If you go to Muir Woods it would be worth stopping there after for lunch or whatever. Or go a little further up the coast and get Oysters at Hog Island Oyster Company. Or a bit further up still to Nick's Cove. They have a great restaurant right on the water or you can have appetizers and drinks out at the end of their dock.

Honestly, there's so many awesome places to go in and around the city I think you're going to need at least a month for your vacation... And I'm sure all of us who've lived here or spent any amount of time here would be all too happy to give you enough suggestions to keep you busy!

I was in San Francisco only once many years ago. The thing that stands out in my mind is that even though we were there in the summer, we all had to go buy sweaters for the very chilly evenings. I don't know if it is much colder in the winter but summer evenings were cold!!
    We went Muir Woods and it was lovely.

Thread Information