Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ahhh, the bounty of summer

I put up bird netting to protect my cukes and squash but wound up with yellow-skinned cucumbers. I looked it up and found that the bees probably are not bothering to get through the bird netting to pollinate the cucumber blossoms. So I took the netting away and we're getting green cucumbers again! We do great with zucchini! Very large. One does us about 3 meals.

I rigged up a deer net over a hoop for the tomatoes which is keeping the deer away from them, but I'm not quite sure if they are getting all the sun they need. The net itself if rather thick and casts a bit of a shadow. But I'll live with it. At least we're getting the tomatoes this year, instead of providing the deer with their nighttime snacks.

Our lettuce was fine but it done now.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The garden is ON!!!!!!!

18 quarts of ratatouille is in the freezer. 27 pints of salsa are canned and we each took a quart to work to share. 3 gallons of green beans are blanched and frozen. (another gallon tonight).

Cucumbers and tomatoes for fresh eating and also plenty to share at work. Zucchini to share at work. Sharing with neighbors as well.

what does YOUR garden grow?

Wow! I just plucked two tomatoes for pasta tonight with fresh basil. I caramelized onions in the crock pot Tuesday- they are freezing in little patties now and I will put them in glass jars in the freezer for soups.

My deer net/PVC hoops protected my tomatoes from the deer! Last year we got NO tomatoes while the deer got plenty. This year we've been harvesting cherry tomatoes and other tomatoes for the past few weeks!

We weren't as successful with cucumbers, because of a pollination problem. I covered them with bird netting to protect them from pests, but I also protected them from bees! Lesson learned.

My CSA farm grows interesting things every year, so I always have the chance to explore new things. This year I tried ground cherries--they look like baby tomatillos, and they're very sweet.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Ground cherry pie is a favorite from my childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Ground cherry pie is a favorite from my childhood
    Really! Where did you grow up, Tammy? I never even heard of them.

Greengages and other plums. Jam, crumbles, coulis, roasted and added to home-made elderflower cordial.

Yppej
    The butternut squash ate finally getting a little color after being white all summer. With the nights as chilly as they are I don't think the eggplant will do much more so I brought them in small as they are and will roast them with the skins on, since if I try to peel them I will have almost nothing left.

Ohio. Northwest corner. The Mennonites there love their ground cherry pie.

A nearby neighbour with a large garden who sells produce on the roadside had some ground cherries for sale. He told me to taste some and they are sweet and really tasty. Little bigger than blueberries so wonderful in a salad. Had to use up my grape tomatoes first so will get some on my next walk by their stand.
    Have to look up how to make a ground cherry pie, hmmmm. I am in experimenting mode at present so cooking is fun and friends will eat the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Ohio. Northwest corner. The Mennonites there love their ground cherry pie.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information