Thread: Put in new solar fence this weekend...........

Put in new solar fence this weekend...........

Solar electric fence, that is.

So far, it isn't up and running yet, since the charger needs sun for 3 days to charge the batteries. I sure hope it works. My garden is surrounded by a 4' utility wire fence and is 40'x25'. The raccoons have destroyed much of the tomatoes, so an electric fence was the only option. I hope we put the single wire in the right place and I hope it works. I know coons are exceedingly smart. Talk about the cost per tomato in a home garden! I think our cost is up to about $80 per tomato, at least. haha

I told DH........."What's the prize for the first one of us that gets shocked?" haha

I absolutely hate the garden looking so "industrialized".......but there's just no other defense, unless we fenced in the top of the garden too.
    Fingers crossed, that all this work/sweat/expense works........

To protect the garden until the fence is working, I've piled chicken wire and other types of fencing all over the place. I can hardly walk through it myself. Hopefully that will keep the coons out for another day or 2. I also hung a solar light out there and put up a fake owl...........
    It would be nice if I could have found a motion sensor that would set off a loud lion roar, but I couldn't find one.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Solar electric fence, that is.

So far, it isn't up and running yet, since the charger needs sun for 3 days to charge the batteries. I sure hope it works. My garden is surrounded by a 4' utility wire fence and is 40'x25'. The raccoons have destroyed much of the tomatoes, so an electric fence was the only option. I hope we put the single wire in the right place and I hope it works. I know coons are exceedingly smart. Talk about the cost per tomato in a home garden! I think our cost is up to about $80 per tomato, at least. haha

I told DH........."What's the prize for the first one of us that gets shocked?" haha

I absolutely hate the garden looking so "industrialized".......but there's just no other defense, unless we fenced in the top of the garden too.
    Fingers crossed, that all this work/sweat/expense works........

To protect the garden until the fence is working, I've piled chicken wire and other types of fencing all over the place. I can hardly walk through it myself. Hopefully that will keep the coons out for another day or 2. I also hung a solar light out there and put up a fake owl...........
    It would be nice if I could have found a motion sensor that would set off a loud lion roar, but I couldn't find one.
    It will work. We had two solar charged horse fences and they worked well. And yeah, you will get shocked, sooner or later, lol.

Thanks Tybee. Just went out to test it again, and it's working. Now here's hoping we put it where the coons can't get over or under it.
    I went to check to see if the plastic knobs were tight enough on the electric and ground plugs on the charger and got shocked. hahaha I thought since they were plastic, I'd be okay. Well.......at least that's over with.
    Did you ever have a fence tester? We bought a cheaper one at Tractor Supply and you can't even see if the lights are blinking, they are so faint. Maybe a digital one would be better, and let us know the voltage of all the lines?

Thanks Tybee. Just went out to test it again, and it's working. Now here's hoping we put it where the coons can't get over or under it.
    I went to check to see if the plastic knobs were tight enough on the electric and ground plugs on the charger and got shocked. hahaha I thought since they were plastic, I'd be okay. Well.......at least that's over with.
    Did you ever have a fence tester? We bought a cheaper one at Tractor Supply and you can't even see if the lights are blinking, they are so faint. Maybe a digital one would be better, and let us know the voltage of all the lines?
    No, we just used a straw.

Hey Tybee..........how does the straw work?
    I just ordered a device that seems pretty good........it hangs on the wire and only puts out a bright flashing red light if the wire is not longer electrified. That will be nice to see from a distance, rather than having to walk out there and test it.

Hey Tybee..........how does the straw work?
    I just ordered a device that seems pretty good........it hangs on the wire and only puts out a bright flashing red light if the wire is not longer electrified. That will be nice to see from a distance, rather than having to walk out there and test it.
    Hi Cathy, you pick up a piece of hay or straw, long, and touch the fence with it; if it burns the straw or hay, it's on.

Hmmm.....I just watched a video about electric fencing, and they said that was a myth. I'll have to try it! They said that it's a myth that it can cause a ground fire....if weeds touch it.

Thread Information