Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Purchase Jitters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Geila

Big Purchase Jitters

I just bought a new fridge. And I'm feeling the jittery nerves that probably many of us get when we make a big purchase. $1330 with tax, delivery, set-up, and removal of old unit. It's a very nice fridge, I didn't want something too big. It's counter depth and 32" wide with a bottom freezer and french doors. It will fit perfectly in the spot we have for it. But still, spending that much money... jitters and butterflies in the tummy.

I think we need a purchases thread where we can relieve ourselves of our anxiety after spending money.

It's interesting how I'm okay spending smaller amounts that add up to something like this, but spending it all in one big swoop really makes the amount hit home.

Wondering if you can share brand and model number as that is the size we need. My hesitation with buying appliances these days is that they just don't see to last anymore without expensive repairs.

Your last comment hit home with me, although I have the opposite problem.

My brothers were looking at property to co own that was 20k over what they both wanted to pay and the owner wouldn't budge. BUT it was absolutely perfect for them...checked -ALL of the boxes on their wish lists. Great location. To me that would be a no bRainer and the reason I was frugal on the small stuff. It would only be 10k more apiece, which barely buys you a used car any more. In the end they paid the additional money.

But, I REALLY hate wasting money on the little stuff..a magazine here a cup of coffee there. Guess we are all different. Enjoy the fridge!

I think that's a great price for counter-depth, and they really look so much nicer in the kitchen. Don't have buyer's remorse! You'll enjoy it for years to come!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have trouble --literal trouble--writing big checks--I get very phobic with large numbers. I have had this since college. . .

The only time I bought a counter-depth fridge was when we bought MIL's house in a foreclosure and invested money in badly-needed home improvements. I fought for a counter-depth fridge--DH couldn't see the value of the extra cost, but having a fridge bump out into the kitchen just didn't look good in this particular layout.

I have to admit that when I had to buy my own fridge, I bought a floor model Frigidaire but have rued the decision ever since. It's a piece of cr*p. The ice-maker breaks all the time. The plastic shelves are in bits at this point. I do believe that when you buy appliances, buying the best you can afford is a good decision.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila
    Thanks guys. I'm feeling better now. And I got ridiculously happy when I figured out that with the rebates Costco gives us, the fridge comes in even less, around $1280. I bought at Sears but used the Costco card and we get the executive rebate as well. Also, I saw yesterday that Costco is selling counter depth fridges now too, but they are bigger than we wanted.

But I'll tell you what, BIG is so seductive. Online I had no trouble at all, but at the store... seeing those massive 36x36 models, with all their bells and whistles (everything is more - even more interior lights, etc), and the huge space that reveals itself to you when you open the doors... VERY seductive. But it's just DH and I, we don't need a fridge that will hold enough food for a family of 10! I'm actually glad that my space is limited and it forced me to buy a smaller unit. I don't think I could have resisted the BIGness and luxury of those units. I'm only human.

The salesperson told me that units with water dispensers are much more prone to have issues and I do know that my mom's unit with the water and ice dispenser was always acting up so I've never wanted one with it.

This is the one I bought: it comes in white, stainless steel, and stainless platinum (a dull material that does not show fingerprints/smudges) - the cu.ft on this unit is 18. I would think it's plenty for 2 people, but it did look small when compared to a 36x36. I bought the stainless steel because it looks more compact and reflects more light than the other two. My kitchen is narrow and rather dim, so I'm hoping this will help. But I almost got the white one.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/Compare?s...0P&prodCount=3

And I do need to work on my small purchase habit. I'm moving more and more towards spending on the things that really make a difference, but I admit that I'm still spending more than I'd like on small purchase that don't deliver very much value and really add up over time.

Big is not that seductive, at the Sears around here they have estimates of energy use (the fridge will cost $x a year to run), so big is not that seductive (although energy use isn't purely a function of size alone from what I remember but it does figure in).

Now it is not good to go to the FAR extreme the other way and buy the smallest (non-mini) fridge on the market either, because been there done that before, and those fridges are not well made (probably because they are kind of outliers from what the market wants - this isn't Europe and people want somewhat bigger - Consumer Reports doesn't even review them generally and it's safer to stick to a fridge that gets a good Consumer Reports review). Most even smallish - just not the smallest - fridges are considered family fridges anyway - they were meant for 4 people or something in theory - in reality stuff does accumulate in the fridge, so food expands to fill the available space )
    Trees don't grow on money

I had read once that broken ice makers were the #1 reason for service calls for refrigerators, so I made a point of getting a unit without an ice maker when we bought our current fridge several years ago.
    I would like to ask about counter-depth fridges. Am I correct that they are only an inch or two less deep than standard sizes?

I always start with the icemaker and water and when they break I don't replace them. The ones that have the water inside break less often then the ones on th outside of the fridge so that is what we got this time. Also I have a fridge like yours and the left door will often not shut all the way if you just open that side. Mine has an alarm that goes off after 5 min's. I guess it is a common problem.

Thread Information