Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Farewell to the Mooch

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Nope! I was just this week schooled in that, the Arkansas version anyway.

"y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is the plural version. This was from a lily person born, raised, and living inArkansas.
    Respectfully, IL, I was born in Georgia, and in Georgia, y'all is plural. Isn't that funny, how different regionalisms are.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    My youngest son attended college in South Carolina. It was a bit of a culture shock but I have to say I was pleased when he came home on Spring break and vacations with stories about how his roommate and others kept reminding him to say, "Yes, sir" and "yes mam."

My first miscue down there happened at an outlet mall. I purchased something and in checking out I handed the clerk a twenty dollar bill. She took it and said, "Chaiyange for a tweenie." I was befuddled. "I'm sorry", I said. "What?" She held up the bill and repeated, "Chaiyange for a tweenie?" I must have looked like deer in headlights.
    Here's my favorite story about the North-South "language" differences. My DH was a salesperson with territory down south. We lived in the Northeast. He would talk to one of his new clients, named Beel, frequently on the phone, but had never met him, so he finally arranged a sales call down there, and took the guy to lunch.

While waiting for their lunch, in the interest of small talk, DH asked him, "'Beel' is an interesting name. What's it short for?"

The guy looked at DH as if he had crawled out from under a rock and then drawled, "Weelliam."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Here's my favorite story about the North-South "language" differences. My DH was a salesperson with territory down south. We lived in the Northeast. He would talk to one of his new clients, named Beel, frequently on the phone, but had never met him, so he finally arranged a sales call down there, and took the guy to lunch.

While waiting for their lunch, in the interest of small talk, DH asked him, "'Beel' is an interesting name. What's it short for?"

The guy looked at DH as if he had crawled out from under a rock and then drawled, "Weelliam."

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

I hear this eeeeeee sound here in speech of some African Americans. It is a soft, slightly Southern sound they have.

This is a funny story, catherine, because I still note to myself, after living here for nearly 30 years, that ee for iu sound. It is often said that St. Louis is a little but Southern in culture, it is Eastern in archotecture, it is Midwestern in weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Respectfully, IL, I was born in Georgia, and in Georgia, y'all is plural. Isn't that funny, how different regionalisms are.
    My understanding, and I use this construction every day, is:

y'all - second person plural (with occasional use by some in the singular in niche conditions)

all y'all - second person plural, indicating that each element of the group is being addressed without exception

In Pittsburgh it was youse and youse guys was plural. Here in MD I was told yinz and yinzes mean the same.

"Bagels" are hunting dogs to a Richmond,VA relative. I had no idea what he was talking about when he told the story...Beagles....

youse guys, made me smile I think have had said that silly line many times in my life looks so weird in print.

People from the south have nothing on Australians. I was having a phone conversation with an Austrailian coworker who now works in our NY office as a claims manager. He was recapping a conference call he'd had with our client, their insurance broker and an outside vendor helping with the loss. He kept mentioning some guy named Aaron Shood. For the first several minutes of my call with him I was rifling my notes from the last conversation on this topic to figure out who this Aaron guy represented. Finally it hit me. It wasn't Aaron Shood. It was "our insured".

I am enjoying this thread!

Thread Information