Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52

Thread: Farewell to the Mooch

  1. #31
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,283
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I can't speak for everyone else, but as one of those people play acting at resisting a dictator my concern is not that things are as bad as any of the other examples razz gives. My concern is that the clown in chief would make things that bad if given a chance and that the party with the majority in the legislative branch seems reluctant to do much to stop him. But no, even though I'm sure he really wants to, at this point he still is not able to simply have Comey and Mueller offed, Russian-style. The worst he's managed to do so far is make a mockery of the office of President and piss off our allies around the world so that they will be less inclined to help us should a potential disaster happen to us.
    I consider myself more "the resistance" than the "loyal opposition." When do we get to claim the title--when we're standing in line being triaged for reeducation camps, perhaps? Better to start sooner rather than later when clouds are gathering.

  2. #32
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,006
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    She shoots from the hip?
    Naaaah.
    That's for sure. But I can picture her riding her horse into Dodge and having a whisky at the Longbranch, chewin' and spittin' with the other cowpokes.

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,745
    Assuming the mantle of courage and sacrifice of the wartime resistance movements seem extremely unserious in the present circumstances.

    There is much to be said for opposing much of what Mr. Trump is about, but you're not the Maquis. You're just not.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I hadnt heard her, had to go listen to a few seconds of her delivery.

    well, ok. It is elitest, and popular by the coasties, to make fun of an accent South of clipped Midwestern flyover country. Personally, I wish the speaker for the White House didnt sound too bumpkinish, but there it is.
    Jane and IL, your comments made me think of how much I love this song:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT7CVDiCDQI

  5. #35
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,704
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Assuming the mantle of courage and sacrifice of the wartime resistance movements seem extremely unserious in the present circumstances.
    Related:

    I highly recommend a visit to Norway's Resistance Museum in the Akershus Fortress in Oslo if you are ever in the area. It's well worth the time. (The bit of the exhibits devoted to the behaviour and fate of Norwegian school teachers was very awe inspiring, for instance.)

    The Norwegians are pretty cool. After they executed Quisling (right in the square of that fortress, by happenstance) they turned Quisling's home/mansion into their Center for Studies of the Holocaust and Religious Minorities.

    Sic semper tyrannis.

  6. #36
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Jane and IL, your comments made me think of how much I love this song:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT7CVDiCDQI
    Funny but I love classical music including opera but I really love country and especially Johnny Cash. I had not heard this song before so really enjoyed listening to it. Thanks
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

  7. #37
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Jane and IL, your comments made me think of how much I love this song:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT7CVDiCDQI
    My youngest son attended college in South Carolina. It was a bit of a culture shock but I have to say I was pleased when he came home on Spring break and vacations with stories about how his roommate and others kept reminding him to say, "Yes, sir" and "yes mam."

    My first miscue down there happened at an outlet mall. I purchased something and in checking out I handed the clerk a twenty dollar bill. She took it and said, "Chaiyange for a tweenie." I was befuddled. "I'm sorry", I said. "What?" She held up the bill and repeated, "Chaiyange for a tweenie?" I must have looked like deer in headlights.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    My youngest son attended college in South Carolina. It was a bit of a culture shock but I have to say I was pleased when he came home on Spring break and vacations with stories about how his roommate and others kept reminding him to say, "Yes, sir" and "yes mam."

    My first miscue down there happened at an outlet mall. I purchased something and in checking out I handed the clerk a twenty dollar bill. She took it and said, "Chaiyange for a tweenie." I was befuddled. "I'm sorry", I said. "What?" She held up the bill and repeated, "Chaiyange for a tweenie?" I must have looked like deer in headlights.
    William, I remember learning pronouns in third grade in Virginia and the teacher said, "Now what is the plural pronoun of "you" and a little boy yelled out, "y'all."

    Even in the third grade, we all thought that was funny.

  9. #39
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,006
    Although it's not southern, in Pennsylvania where I spent part of my childhood, for the plural of "you", they would say "Yins".....which is a contraction of "You-ins". haha.....that doesn't make sense either.

  10. #40
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    William, I remember learning pronouns in third grade in Virginia and the teacher said, "Now what is the plural pronoun of "you" and a little boy yelled out, "y'all."

    Even in the third grade, we all thought that was funny.
    Nope! I was just this week schooled in that, the Arkansas version anyway.

    "y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is the plural version. This was from a lily person born, raised, and living inArkansas.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •