Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Becoming authentic

Some time back a big wig at my work gave my department a speech about how important it was for us all to be authentic and how our best ideas and best work would come from us being our authentic selves. LOL

Ok, that’s funny!

"We are born charming, fresh and spontaneous and must be civilized before we are fit to participate in society." - Judith Martin

(whom I actually despise for obscure personal reasons)

however, while I agree with the quote in the abstract social sense - your boss doesn’t want to meet “the real you”!
    from a personal standpoint I think the problem there is society. Consequently my eldest, who had one month of private preschool, one year of public half day kindergarten, and was then homeschooled until 14 when she was basically turned loose on her own recognizance, tells people she was raised by wolves.

Btw, hi! You’ve been quiet.

Judith Martin--whose work I haven't read in years--also identifies “blatant greed” as the most serious etiquette problem in the United States. (Credit Wikipedia)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Ok, that’s funny!
    Btw, hi! You’ve been quiet.
    Yeah, been fighting some health problems/chronic illness. Don't want to talk about it.

But I am glad to get on here again when I can and read comments and post too.

I did not quite cry in the directors office. I don’t think i’m breaking confidentiality if I say that a branch of law enforcement is now involved in the life of one of my students due to online grooming, bad choices, and possibly a neurological issue and possibly questionable parenting decisions. I don’t know when or if I will see the child again. But, there may be helpful professional intervention, so, bright side?

the thing was brought out by students policing each other. They turned to adults for help, but I don’t know if the adults are actually going to be much help. Lately i’ve been seeing the adults as kind of useless, myself included. Do we miss so much because the kids literally live in another universe? Their bodies are out here walking around with us, engaged just enough to give us an illusion of presence, but their selves are nestled online, in an infinitely more malleable and interesting world? Sometimes I feel like they are in a matrix of their own making and i’m the poor guy trying to read the random looking streams of numbers and letters and keep them safe and alive with nothing to go on but what they tell me.

when I was in college, my roommate called her best friend’s parents about his drug habit (he was still in high school.) his parents got angry at her, refused to believe her, and forbid her contact with him. She called the police. He was arrested. He went to jail. I remember her sobbing and sobbing and looking at me with tears pouring down her face and saying “he’s going to hate me. He’s going to hate me forever. But he has to be ALIVE to hate me.” It was one of the bravest, most selfless things i’d seen first hand.

He got clean. He got out. He got a job and a wife and a child, and one day he thanked her. You don’t get very many happy endings.

they are struggling, hurting, in some cases literally dying. And I bring them - clay, tree seedlings, alpacas, maple syrup, and baby ducks.

Clearly, today is not a good day.

I am so very sorry to hear about your day. It is sad. It is one reason I left social work working with kids and went to working with adults to help them get back to work. It was much more uplifting and still sad at times but easier on the spirit.

I think I don’t feel these things because of my job, I think I have my job because I feel these things.

the New York times published a photo of Dylan roof’s little sister along with some horrible things she said. When dh saw it, it made him really angry - at her. He wanted somebody to do something to her. When I saw it, I teared up. My gut reaction was to want to wrap my arms around her and say “oh baby, how did they let you get so broken?”

I agree with you CL. There is something in her background that we don't know about. I worry about these kids who carry around either so much fear or anger. From what each has said, I wonder about the adults in their lives.

My gut reaction was to want to wrap my arms around her and say “oh baby, how did they let you get so broken?”
    Chicken Lady, you are the kindest person I (virtually) know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post

the thing was brought out by students policing each other. They turned to adults for help, but I don’t know if the adults are actually going to be much help. Lately i’ve been seeing the adults as kind of useless, myself included. Do we miss so much because the kids literally live in another universe? Their bodies are out here walking around with us, engaged just enough to give us an illusion of presence, but their selves are nestled online, in an infinitely more malleable and interesting world? Sometimes I feel like they are in a matrix of their own making and i’m the poor guy trying to read the random looking streams of numbers and letters and keep them safe and alive with nothing to go on but what they tell me.
    The fact that the kids knew when to report it and ask for help for their classmate means that adults are having a positive effect on their lives. And it IS hard, they live in a "universe" that some what overlaps ours- I see it as a Venn diagram, and that middle slice where we intersect is often mighty slim. But this action on their part indicates some well-honed discernment, initiate and trust, as well as a loyalty and accountability pact with their peers. Those are all significant life skills. CL, you bring them "clay, tree seedlings, alpacas, maple syrup and baby ducks." I bring them reading skills. And we bring ourselves, our Presence, we are WITH them. They feel the care and compassion and passion for our subjects, they need it, they internalize it. The rest is the vehicle for distribution.

Thread Information