Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Becoming authentic

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    It turns out I like having dd2 living with us. She keeps confirming that all the things I think dh is doing, that he says he isn’t doing - he is actually doing. I am not crazy.
    What?!?!!?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I dont like it either so keep it extremely simple. Excellent ingredients kept simple makes life easy. I joke with my husband that I am the queen of the 10 minute meal. There is a whole lot I can do with a Costco already cooked chicken. Almost everything is simply cooked at 400 degrees without a lot of extra sauces or things.
    I am absolutely sincere when I say I would love to hear more about this school of thought of yours.

So, ultralight, what is your new approach?

i eat ingredients.
    What do you mean?

There is one food that I actually don't mind cooking at all -- proper white basmati rice.

So this got me thinking... the grocery store has lots of what I call "half-prepared" meals. And many of these are jars of Indian sauces -- korma, jalfrezi, etc. So I could make rice (easy for me) and then partly cook some veggies, throw them in with the sauce to simmer, and then the meal is ready.

No cooking from scratch. No restaurant. A fairly tasty meal without much to-do, at home.

So I am going to think of this as a philosophy and see if I can do other types of meals this way. Sure, there is no skill in it. But as a born-again bachelor, it could be a suitable methodology.

Tonight dh was not home for dinner. I ate pineapple spears and carrots (peeled but not cut) and almonds - ingredients.

the dh thing is too long to fully explain, but he would do things mindlessly and then swear he didn’t do them - like eating the last cookie or leaving the mail in the bathroom. Also he talks out loud when he is thinking, so he would swear he never said things I heard and acted on.

Tonight dh was not home for dinner. I ate pineapple spears and carrots (peeled but not cut) and almonds - ingredients.

the dh thing is too long to fully explain, but he would do things mindlessly and then swear he didn’t do them - like eating the last cookie or leaving the mail in the bathroom. Also he talks out loud when he is thinking, so he would swear he never said things I heard and acted on.
    I have said many times that someone needs to invent a little device that I would call the marriage recorder. It would be implanted into us. It would record everything that we ever say or do and it would have a very easy play back function. So many times so so so many times I need to prove to DH that he either said something or he didn’t say something. Ha ha Ha ha ha. Ha ha

It’s only getting worse with age)

UL, veggies cooked in microwave with a little salt and pepper or steamable frozen bags of veggies if no fresh in the fridge. Potatoes in microwave. Those little ones are delicious. Jars of Indian sauces are fabulous. Slow cooker with a jar of BBQ sauce can be used for meat and eaten over several meals.

Never cook for just one meal. We do love leftovers. We try very hard to avoid most processed or cheap food.

I sometimes make a no knead bread that I swear takes more time to get out the simple ingredients than it does to cook. I like ciabatta rolls for sandwiches toasted a little with either a hot or cold filling. Very little bread now in our diet.

Chopped salads are worth the price (so long as they are not just iceburg lettuce which we avoid). Saves having to buy and prepare small amounts of various veggies. Husband has started eating them for breakfast and lunch with maybe a hardboiled egg (which he cooks once a week).

Note: We do not eat any four legged animal meat so the protein in our diet is pretty simple. Not yet into a lot of grains but eat them if simple to prepare. Prepared ravioli is simple to boil for a few minutes and the package can be split to make a freshoasta meal for a one person. I just heat up a little nice expensive spaghetti sauce or use some real Parmesan cheese. It is using the highest quality ingredients which makes all the difference. Bdr

Breakfast: yoghurt with homemade granola or salad
    Lunch: salad or something like Lean Cuisine
    Dinner: simple protein, veggies, potatoes, pasta, etc.

Thread Information