Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Becoming authentic

Well, I went back to the homework again this morning, and it was better. I have three pieces that meet the requirements (i’d give me a C) one that I like but it doesn’t meet the requirements (due to size) and one that I like but it doesn’t meet the requirements (due to theme) but I have a friend who might be able to help me brainstorm a way to fudge that before class.

i am going to try to find an hour every day - preferably in the mornings - to throw.

Also, I found myself filling water buckets this morning and trying to figure out how I could avoid “wasting time” standing there with the hose. I was contemplating various ways to secure the hose, but then I decided to do some yoga poses that allowed hose holding and work on my breathing. I set a timer. It turns out it only takes 20 seconds to fill a bucket. So now I will have “one minute bucket yoga” every morning.

Love it! "one minute bucket yoga" is clever use of time and efficient. I did something similar with my watering cans using the rain barrels. Our municipal water bill in this area is high. I figured out how much time I had carrying and pouring depending on where I was working. I would open the tap full for nearby and partially close it for pots or gardens further afield. By the time I returned, the watering can was full and I simply replaced the full with the empty.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

So, apparently this is another example of being my own worse critic.

We put all of our work out on the table in groups by concept. The instructor chose three he liked best from each group to put on a turn table and discuss. Since not everyone brought examples for every concept, some groups were larger than others. From the largest group he chose one of mine (even though he acknowledged that is broke the size rules). He also chose another of my pieces from a large group and said nice things about a third which was selected because only 3 of us tried that concept. I did not find a good place for my off topic piece, but I got positive comments on it from a couple of classmates, including one who does work I find really impressive.

Hey that is good, you are making worthwhile progress even if you cant see it.

Good for you- for taking even the pieces that didn't exactly fit the concept, for attempting all of them, for recognizing yourself as critic, and for the awesome pottery work! Nice job.

So this morning I am feeling physically tired, but emotionally energized. It’s a trade off. I can’t take a class on a weeknight and get more than 6 hours of sleep, even though I let all the household non-essentials slide. (Which means dh “made his own” microwave dinner and left me to face a dirty counter this morning when I came in to make breakfast and lunch.)

the biggest thing i need need to do today is remember to eat reasonable amounts of healthy food. It is easy for me to try to overcome lack of sleep with extra carbs.

Tonight I catch up on housework, but I am going to get the throwing in as soon as I get home from work. If the housework were important, dh would help. He has a soccer game tonight.

So, I did not throw tonight. Nor have I done any housework.

I had a good day at school today and I decided just to let my tank fill a little more. I was still tired and I was afraid throwing wouldn’t go well and i’d feel frustrated instead of built up. I ate pretty well most of the day, but I got home hungry and ate too much cheese and crackers. Called that, a bowl of popcorn, and an apple “dinner”

so, tonight I will finish up the things that will make the morning easy, and then I will put pottery first tomorrow.

dh bought me a present. just because. It’s pretty winter stockings. I put them on for no reason with a cozy knit dress and I am sitting by the fire being “ornamental” lol!

Ornamental is good!!!!

I’m not actually very ornamental, I was being silly.

today I taught sex ed. Actually I was teaching a small group art class, when one of the girls (all girls 15-18) announced that her boyfriend wanted her to quit smoking (not cigarettes) because he wants to have a baby when he gets out of jail, but she wasn’t pregnant now. And I pointed out that all the egg cells that could someday be her kids are already in her body. And she said “what?!” And then I discovered that she didn’t know what ovaries are.

so the next thing I knew I was sketching on the board and explaining ovulation, Fallopian tubes, fertilization, uterine linings, implantation, and what happens during menstruation.

Tonight I got a phone call from the mother of the only girl in the class with an involved parent (also the only one with no boyfriend in jail). She told me her daughter told her about the conversation on the way home (and I braced myself for all hell breaking loose) and she wanted to tell me how glad she was that I cared so much about the girls. Whew.

Some day I’m going to get fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Some day I’m going to get fired.
    But it will be for the right reasons...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information