Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Becoming authentic

Thanks. I hope so.

Today I co-taught all afternoon - the cooking teacher and I paired the jr high cooking class with the first and second grade farm class and the high schoolers with the 3/4s. We cooked some of the foods we’ve talked about growing. It was really amazing to watch the older kids work with the younger ones. Sharp knives and hot surfaces and the only mishap was when the bottom came off of a full blender. We decided we need to do it again!

Again I am returning to asking myself what is important.

dh has been working on the water heater. He feels taken advantage of and unappreciated because there were other things he wanted to do today and he is down there alone - even though he does not need unskilled assistance and I have no water heater skills.

I have been trying to work in the studio, but I feel guilty and for the first hour it was too cold out there to put my hands in water and then my Dd called and needed to talk to me and something overdried and was ruined while I was on the phone.

so we met for lunch both unhappy and talked it over.

he needs to go back to the hardware store - at least an hour. I am to go out and throw pots and NOT ANSWER THE PHONE. He will come get me when he comes back and I will putter around doing some work in the basement where he can talk to me.

then we’ll go from there.

"We met for lunch...and talked it over." Good for you both! I love the way you report the difficulties and how you work through them.

The SAD is getting bad again.

it’s dark, it’s cold, it’s raining. It makes everything harder. It makes the hoarding worse. I tried to thin the Halloween decorations out, but I ended up just spreading them all over the den and second guessing my decisions. I walked away. I’m trying to make myself go out to to barn and work on pots, but it’s almos5 time to start dinner. I don’t want to do that either.

inner simplicity is not happening for me today.

‘Tis the season to make Christmas ornaments and gifts, and menorahs and gifts in art class.

‘Tis also the season when your horrified friends find out you aren’t Christian.

or Jewish.

or even Muslim.

but sometimes you get to be the right teacher in the right spot at the right time and say things to a kid like “I live on a farm, so I usually get to have a big bonfire on Solstice. Are you going to do anything special?”

which was was way more fun than later in the day when I handed a kid a phone number for an emergency shelter and was told she wouldn’t go there because they wouldn’t let her keep her own hours. And all I had left was “ok. Sleep under a bridge. But it’s going to be cold tonight.” This kid has options. They all come with rules. She has decided she is done with rules. At this point all I can do is hope cold and wet and hungry bring her some smart before hard drugs and prostitution move in. She says she won’t be back to school.

or earlier in the day when a kid told me she was going to miss my class because she was getting picked up early because someone she loves had just died and then gave me a hug so she could hide her face in my shoulder and catch her breath.

and the boy who has said six words all year announced that he would never miss my class because my class was the most fun class in the whole entire school.

it was kind of a roller coaster today.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    ‘Tis the season to make Christmas ornaments and gifts, and menorahs and gifts in art class.

‘Tis also the season when your horrified friends find out you aren’t Christian.

or Jewish.

or even Muslim.

but sometimes you get to be the right teacher in the right spot at the right time and say things to a kid like “I live on a farm, so I usually get to have a big bonfire on Solstice. Are you going to do anything special?”

which was was way more fun than later in the day when I handed a kid a phone number for an emergency shelter and was told she wouldn’t go there because they wouldn’t let her keep her own hours. And all I had left was “ok. Sleep under a bridge. But it’s going to be cold tonight.” This kid has options. They all come with rules. She has decided she is done with rules. At this point all I can do is hope cold and wet and hungry bring her some smart before hard drugs and prostitution move in. She says she won’t be back to school.

or earlier in the day when a kid told me she was going to miss my class because she was getting picked up early because someone she loves had just died and then gave me a hug so she could hide her face in my shoulder and catch her breath.

and the boy who has said six words all year announced that he would never miss my class because my class was the most fun class in the whole entire school.

it was kind of a roller coaster today.
    Sheesh, CL...hugs and kudos...I hope you have few days like this one.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

What a sad day. Teachers now have to be social workers. If the kid wasn't 18 social services could be called to intervene.

You can’t call because a kid tells you she intends to couch surf with drug dealers or sleep on the street. - well, you can call, but nothing will happen. Teenagers say all kinds of stuff. (Parents were called. Dad is concerned but hoping she will call him. Theoretically she is living with mom. Mom supposedly threw her out. We can’t reach mom. We suggested dad come pick her up. He didn’t show) you can call if you see signs that something is actually going on. You can call after the kid misses 8 days of school. Not like anyone will know where to find her by then. She is 16. Easy pass for 21. She got on a city bus.

I have her kindergarten photo on my wall. I have a collage of “my babies”. they made it themselves. It’s the kids who ask if they can be in it - usually like they think i’m going to say no. (What’s that?....Can I put my picture up?) the kids who have their photos all over the walls at home don’t care. Sometimes we have to search Facebook for the youngest photo we can find and then print it out at school.

a lot of my days are like that.

so very sad. Glad the kids have you CL)

I am glad I have them. Even the ones who break my heart.

Thread Information