Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Becoming authentic

Being authentic is messy, and there aren't a lot of maps for it. But the rewards are Great.

I am becoming very zen. (Or I have a brain tumor - I once knew a woman with an inoperable brain tumor who was the most incredibly cheerful person I ever met - because of the location of the brain tumor - but I digress)

we have no water - long story. But fixable. And I am thinking “ok, well, this can be fixed. Hopefully before I have to scrub down with snow and deliver a stuck baby goat in a freezing barn” (worst case scenario I can think of) we have juice. We have disinfectant. I even took a shower at the fitness center after I swam tonight, so I can go to work mostly clean (unless I have to pull a goat). We are ok without water. This is not a crisis, because we can fix it.

When my car died I felt pretty much the same way.

I don’t know if i’m gaining perspective, or just so burnt out from all the big stuff I can’t fix that i’m no longer capable of reacting to anything short of crisis.

Glad to hear your reaction to this, Chicken lady. Maybe it is the maturity of age and experience.

Last week a woman I know who is in her 30s, works FT outside the home, and is a rational functioning adult, called in tears because her car was leaking fluid and had stopped running. I was surprised because my reaction would be to call AAA and have it towed to a repair shop. She eventually did that but I couldn't understand the initial emotional upset - it's a mechanical thing, and things break all the time. Anyway, it ended okay, and maybe she was having a particularly bad day, but if that's the kind of thing that causes severe distress than I think she's going to have a very tough time when a serious life crisis occurs.

Last time I had to call AAA I ended up entertaining two preschoolers in a stranger’s front yard for two and a half hours. I no longer have AAA. But I do carry a card from my favorite tow guy.

the water is back on and I have a snow day. Now would be good for baby goats....

as for your friend, I think we get so tired and so stretched thin that we just have nothing left. When you have no reserves everything is a crisis (if I had not had the $30 reconnect fee, this would have been a completely different situation...)

i am lucky to have an excellent support system. Last week for example, when I was tired and overwhelmed, someone broke a key piece of equipment for the school kiln. I came home and dumped my day on dh, ending with “and now I can’t fire until I drive [over an hour] and buy a new one.” And he asked “are they universal?” And I said “yes.” And he said “ so, you aren’t firing at home this week - take yours and replace it when you go down there again.” Oh. Yeah. Easy.

Yeah, that zen thing didn’t last long.

have been struggling to help a young student for three months. Wednesday I gave him a reason to be excited about class today. Yesterday he got expelled.

gave up my lunch Wednesday to meet with an older student and another teacher and work on a plan with him to modify his behavior. Yesterday he sabotaged the plan. Then he got expelled.

had a “it’s not you, it’s her” conversation with a student who was feeling hurt by another student yesterday. Found out last night “her” has been hospitalized for mental health.

at risk girl who was very excited about today’s school activity when we talked about it at dismissal yesterday didn’t show up today. No parent call in.

Ran across a quote this evening that pretty much sums it up - “I was happier when I didn’t give a f—-“.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Yeah, that zen thing didn’t last long.

have been struggling to help a young student for three months. Wednesday I gave him a reason to be excited about class today. Yesterday he got expelled.

gave up my lunch Wednesday to meet with an older student and another teacher and work on a plan with him to modify his behavior. Yesterday he sabotaged the plan. Then he got expelled.

had a “it’s not you, it’s her” conversation with a student who was feeling hurt by another student yesterday. Found out last night “her” has been hospitalized for mental health.

at risk girl who was very excited about today’s school activity when we talked about it at dismissal yesterday didn’t show up today. No parent call in.

Ran across a quote this evening that pretty much sums it up - “I was happier when I didn’t give a f—-“.
    Id have to say CL, this post is about as authentic as is gets. I have a saying I repeat when I’m working out at the gym, “Pain is weakness leaving you.” Chances are next week will be better. Also good outcomes are not necessarily the only evidence of diligent caring. Remember that.

Aw, one of the hardest things about being a teacher- we don't always get to witness the successful outcomes... and I know in my heart the kids never forget the care we give them. I've had enough kids-as-adults look me up on Face book and send me thank you's to know that, for sure.

"Pain is weakness leaving you."
    I love this. Thanks, Williamsmith

Pain is also a sign of a problem that something is wrong.

I’m more with Tammy.

the teacher who was working with the kid with me at lunch said “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Except Polio.”

Thread Information