Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Becoming authentic

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Last night I did not sleep well. I was up for over two hours in the middle of the night. I got an email from someone I love late in the evening. She is in a heart breaking situation and all I can do right now is remind her that she is loved. There are many things I want to do, but I have learned not to barge into people's lives and start implementing plans they have not requested.

the dirty dishes are not bothering me at all.
    You are learning and progressing to govern your thoughts, feelings and actions. It is a life-long process with many detours along the way in which you make discoveries that you need for the next part of your journey. No one said it was easy or straight forward. It is an adventure.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Another internal rewrite needed.

this morning I called a government agency for help interpreting a publication that I want to use in my classroom. The woman on the other end of the phone could not find the electronic document I was looking at, even when I read her the url and the name and date of the publication. She said "let me go in the back and get someone who can help you, and she will call you right back. She then took my name and phone number.

that was 50 minutes ago.

i have now completely derailed my morning by spending 50 minutes doing one small unimportant task after another so that I would be available to answer the phone and have the page up on my computer.

If if I tell someone they will be called "right back." I make sure they get a call within 15 minutes, even if it is just me telling them I'm not sure when they will get the actual call they are waiting for. I spend a lot of time being accessible to people who say they are going to contact me.

i need to learn that unless someone has previously demonstrated that they have a similar world view "I will call (text, e-mail, etc) you" is exactly the same type of social communication as "hi, how are you?" It means "I am currently aware of your existence" and nothing more.

CL, that is so frustrating when it happens. I have a written list of must-do's that I refer to in those episodes so that I do feel some sense of accomplishment when waiting for another on a different time-table.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I just give them my cell # and take it with me so I am not stuck waiting.

Yes, but where I needed to be was climbing up and down a ladder, where by the time I got down the ladder and put down the paint roller, the cell phone would have gone to messages. Or moving in and out of barns that block the cell signal, well away from my computer. Btw, they have not called back. I no longer expect them to call back. Which is the point from which I should have started.

it isn't about making my life more complex by planning better in order to make good use of my time while waiting for phone calls. It's about not waiting for phone calls. If the phone call is not the most important thing in my life (last time that happened was the afternoon my dad was in open heart surgery) or even my day, I need to let it go.

they'll call, and reach me. Or not reach me, or not call, and then later, when it is important enough, I'll call them again.

this "inner simplicity" thing doesn't involve investing your energy in the uncontrollable actions of others.

this "inner simplicity" thing doesn't involve investing your energy in the uncontrollable actions of others.
    That is profound and very valuable to discover and implement. Smart woman!

Yes, well, the implementing is the trick now isn't it.

today I am going to try to focus on getting all my paperwork ready for open house for my classes on Sunday.

"I am professional" so I don't just fake it and wing it (ok, usually I do. And realistically I know I'm going to diverge from this plan as soon as I figure out what these kids need from me. But step one is to make a good impression on their parents by looking as prepared as I feel.) by "fake it and wing it" I mean that my syllabus is my back up plan. I try to keep it general enough that it provides an umbrella for any possibility, but it's really an "outline of what we are going to do if nothing more interesting and engaging presents itself in relation to this subject"

like one year in pottery class, we were doing a slab unit. Then the science class had a visitor bring live reptiles and amphibians and talk about their role in the ecosystem. So we skipped class, went to their assembly, and the next week we made slab toad houses and butterfly fountains. The level of project engagement was much higher than if I had given them the original wider choice of projects while their friends were at the assembly.

but I am having trouble because "I am a mom" and my soul is with my heart daughter today and I am in "nothing else matters, prepared to drop everything" mode.

The situation with heart daughter has gone from crisis to chronic, and so I am thinking about it less than all the time.

I've been getting to bed by ten and waking up naturally between 6 and 6:30.

i feel like I'm making some progress on my goals and I haven't found the area where I'm dropping balls yet.

the addition has started coming together and dh has been insisting on moving furniture into it, which is disrupting my environment. This is something that is very hard for me, and it makes me cranky, but I have my studio to retreat to, and soon I will be at school a lot of the week, and I will slowly adjust to the new environment.

CL, It is good to read you are getting enough rest now. It certainly makes the other disruptions easier to handle.

Last night I had to stand up for my right to go to bed by myself and sleep without someone reading in bed. Dh agreed to go read in his study.

woke up at 5:30 this morning because he was tossing and turning and I couldn't go back to sleep, but I'm still not much short of 8 hours. Got to enjoy my coffee in the breakfast nook and watch the sun rise. (Well, it's foggy and cloudy, so more "watch trees and the barn appear slowly")

Thread Information