Thread: This is gardening in real life

This is gardening in real life

With all the grumbling and reports about aging and decline that are discussed at length both in humour and so-called scientific articles, I found this article inspiring for SL'rs to consider. Imagine tending and feeding a family in a cold climate in Edmonton Alberta, for 70 years!!!! and still doing it.

https://edmontonhort.com/be-in-the-z...for-gardening/
    Apr 28, 2017 - Edmonton is located in zone 3b (minimum temperature -37.2 to -34.5°C or -35 to -30°F).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rden-1.4231331

Quotes:
    Ted and Irene Goldsack wake up at 5:30 every morning, eager to work in their garden.

The routine has been the same for 70 years — planting seeds, plucking weeds, picking ripened tomatoes, cauliflower or lettuce.

The Goldsacks, both 92, tend close to 1,000 plants, growing fruit and vegetables for their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren...
    "When [the kids] were going to school, I didn't allow them to stay in bed," Irene said. "They got up, had their breakfast and each one of them had to weed a row of gardening."

In recent years, the couple cut back some of their production, making fewer jams and vegetables because they have fewer people to help out.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

What a great story. Now THAT is a life well spent!

That is awesome! Reminds me how hale and hearty Helen and Scott Nearing were--Scott had to stop eating to die at 100, and Helen ran her car into a tree at 92. If she hadn't done that she might still be alive!

On the plane today, I read a book I've had on my Kindle for a while that I haven't really taken the time to look at, but I did go through it on the plane, and it made a lot of good points. We have forgotten our "roots" in nature and our own biological systems--and how they operate best. Our current Western lifestyle is an anathema to the kind of living we were meant to do. I think the reason gardening is so healthy for us is because it forces us into those old biological and chemical bonds we have with the natural world, and it makes us happier and healthier.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Interesting, as that's my area now and near where my grandparents and other relatives lived as well. One of my grandmothers was a farm wife, raising 5 kids in the 40-60s with a huge vegetable garden. She retired from that when she got older and the kids moved away, and just did flowers, strawberries, and a few food plants. It still seemed a huge garden to me. I loved her greenhouse as a child.

I don't blame her for wanting a break. What a hard job that would have been.

Foraging was also a big thing - Saskatoon berries especially. I've found that the kids of such people either hate it and refuse to garden or forage ever again, or love it.

My ex-husband was forced to help with gardening and berry picking and therefore refused to ever do it again.

My father however got the love of berry picking from his mother. He is passing it down to me. Last year he showed me where to find wild blueberries and this year where to find Saskatoons. I of course had to mark the spots with my phone. I don't have that memory or berry-sense that he has. I do still look for wild berries whenever I am walking, and know what seasons you are likely to find what berries.

I am finally gardening again too - just a few plants; it's hard work. But it's great to grow and forage my own food again.

Williamsmith
    I can see my grandparents and uncles and aunts in that couple. All had a garden and everyone in the family benefitted from the friendly competition. Who could harvest the first of each vegetable every year. Who could can the most and of course recipe swapping. I still have little index cards with samples of all my relatives handwriting for recipes.

All of our gardeners are gone. I gave it up after raising my kids. It is hard work. Kudos to these Canadians. I recently did a mental exercise. What would you absolutely want to take with you if your house was threatened by fire and you had to start over. I had a short list but "Rodales....Organic Gardening" book was the first thing to come to mind.

Thread Information