Thread: Chipmunks in the garden

Chipmunks in the garden

Well, we got the electric fence up to deter the raccoons, but now I'm realizing the chipmunks who live within the fence are enjoying my tomatoes. I've read that cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil might keep them away.....so that's what I'll try next. I don't think I'm going to enjoy the smell myself, though. I hope I don't have to get used to this. For 35 years I've had this garden and mostly the problem was with rabbits, but nothing much since we built the taller fence.
    Maybe it's just a bad year.

The chipmunks have been terrible here, too, worse than the rabbits! Unfortunately, my golden retriever has decided she is a terrier and has killed four of them--she digs down and gets them from underground!

I could use your Golden if she gets groundhogs....

We have them living in tunnels next to our foundation (besides the garden). But I can't bring myself to hurt them......so unless they get into the house, it's okay......I guess........maybe......

Oh yes Chipmunks, cute and evil all in one small package! My home is being sided now, I warned the contractor about my gardens and the fellows have been very good about it. A few plants squished, but I understand. When Mr. Contractor asks me if the gardens were ok or was I upset I am responding with Chipmunks upset me with my gardens so the guys were better then those little buggers.

I saw a chipmunk running from under one of my stock tanks to the next. Today, I'm expecting something I ordered to arrive.......It's a solar owl with motion detector. With motion, it's eyes light up and it makes scary noises. I hope it works! I may have to buy a few more!
    So far, so good with the solar electric fence. It appears that no raccoons have gotten through. There was one big tomato on the ground, half eaten, but I'm pretty sure the chipmunks did it.
    I had bought some peppermint oil and soaked cotton balls and put them around in the stock tanks, but they had no effect whatsoever. I had put my dog's fur in some of the tanks, but then remembered that she gets flee and tick medication.........so maybe I shouldn't do that again, since it probably shows up in her fur.

I sure am enjoying the cucumber/tomato/onion marinated salads now. I will be sad when the garden is done. I just discovered 1 winter squash growing. YAY! I thought I wouldn't have any. One year I had 40! I'm switching seed companies next year since the seed I got at one company doesn't do well. I have tried to grow winter squash up a trellis, but I think it's much happier on the ground. But I have to say........the 2 years I tried to grow them up a trellis, I didn't have any squash bugs..

What are you gardens up to?

Yes Spring has arrived in MI and so have the little Chipmunks. Cute yet so many issues with the little buggers. First I call them suicide chipmunk as on the trial while riding they will dart out in front of me. At that point it is me or them. I have more damage from them in my garden than imaginable. Star Nosed Moles, Voles and Deer. Spring love it!

I think some of mine are living under our deck. I've learned to clap really loudly outside before I let the dog out. Sometimes, as my dog and I are inside, heading for the door, I see a chipmunk sitting quietly on the deck railing, just enjoying himself/herself. Dang. I hate interrupting. But he/she does run back under the deck really quickly once I clap. I think we have them living in the ground all along our foundation, from the big holes I can see. Oh well. As long as they don't bother anything, I'm okay with sharing our property with them.
    Yes, they are so darned cute!

Thread Information