Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing weight, when do you buy clothes

Losing weight, when do you buy clothes

I am down 7 lbs, making it just less than a pound a week. It feels very sustainable, but clothes are starting to droop! I have a belt and am starting to use it, just wondering when to shop, ideally I would wait about a month since I buy 1 or 2 clothing items at each monthly paycheck. I just bought 2 good pairs of shoes. I think with the belt and sewing I should be okay. What do others do? And do you keep the larger clothes? I can bloat monthly so I may keep something for those days. I never kept my smaller clothes but I also gained very slow

Yppej
    My weight has moved in the other direction and I have kept most of the old clothes. I have bought quite a few new ones because not only has my weight changed but I started a new job earlier this year with a different dress code. And some of the things I had are too young for me. High heels are also bothering me which they never did before.

Williamsmith
    Keep your now oversized clothes. Slowly purchase smaller sizes. Keep wearing the clothes that are now feeling too big. It gives you positive feedback.

When you look at yourself in the mirror and think "this staff member does not look professional" you need new clothes.

Go to the thrift store and try on the next smaller size. If you like how it looks....buy. If too tight.....wait another 3 pounds and go back.

I am firmly in the "don't keep too big clothes". It's too easy to go back to them. As you buy a new smaller piece, shed the larger equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    When you look at yourself in the mirror and think "this staff member does not look professional" you need new clothes.
    Ahhh great idea,

For pants I've cut down the side seam at the hips and done a simple V stitch to take in the waist a bit. When they get baggy on the sides of the hip then definitely time to buy a smaller size. I've added darts to back of dress shirts or dresses to pull in the torso a bit and that can work till I really need to go down a size. I tend to be up and down in my weight so I keep about 3 different sizes in storage.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

When my wife tells me the larger ones no longer make me look good.

Seriously, I've lost more than 35 pounds in the last year or so. The shirts I was wearing are much looser now, but, being mostly pullovers, they're largely acceptable. Some shirts show the weight loss more clearly than others. My jeans, however, were untenable, even after adding notches to my belt. Fortunately for me, I no longer need a "professional" wardrobe. So I've gotten new jeans and, as other items wear out or are received as gifts, they'll be in whatever size fits me at that time.

If I had to wear outfits to work, I think the replacement schedule would depend on how soon the clothes which fit well had to be worn repeatedly because they were all that worked. As soon as I had less than a couple of weeks of clothes, it would be time to replace items.

I will not be stashing the bigger clothes anywhere as the weight simply can't come back.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

oh man I've seldom had a couple weeks clothes that I was actively wearing in my entire life, entirely independent of whatever weight I was. Yes of course doing laundry is an at least weekly thing.

Big deal if shirts are baggy is what I think about shirts, what difference does it make, I think I must have bought some of my shirts baggy because they are, and I'm not vastly thinner, or they became so through wear and tear, I don't even know.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    The styles are looser now, with among other things skinny jeans dead and voluminous sleeves in, at least for women.

Thread Information