Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RV living

I am enjoying this thread. I quit Girl Scouts in 7th grade because of overnight camping and out houses. I keep thinking nearly 60 years later that maybe I would enjoy it. I keep reading experiences...then I think about having a bath, air conditioning, getting up at night, bugs, campfire smoke, people next door in the campground and just can't get my head around enjoying it. But I like to think I MIGHT! I think I may use the chaise lounge in the back yard to give it a go one night- maybe when the meteor shower happens. Or not. But thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

I've always wanted to go camping but DH refuses. So my latest trip to CT, staying in a "shack" outside in the woods was kind of "camping lite." Definitely not glamping, but I did have 4 walls around me. And I didn't cook outside, so I missed that experience. But I really loved it. I would go back in a heartbeat. My kids/DH were surprised/slightly appalled when they saw the picture. They see me as flying around staying at really nice hotels my client pays for. I know DH didn't like the idea of me by myself in the woods, but too bad. If he was that concerned, he should have taken me camping sometime over the last 40 years!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We have a 34 foot class C motorhome. We summer in a local resort for up to 90 days, and have taken up to 3 week road trips. There are some modifications I'd make for full timing, but we can and would do it.

Our biggest current complaint is a sway that happens when we tow our motorcycles on an open trailer. Perhaps it's too short? When we tow the kid's race car in the car hauler there's no sway...

Having said we can, I realize we'd still maintain a home base. Don't think the hubby would let go completely.

We bought this old vintage trailer when I retired. We would take our grandson to the Indiana dunes for a few days in the summer. We also went to SW Florida and many other trips. It was fine for a week or so, but the wife wouldn't want to stay in it much longer. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, it was damaged in a hail storm and the insurance company totaled the trailer. And with no trailer to pull I sold the truck also.

We had it for around three years and enjoyed it, but we won't be buying another. The wife would much rather stay in a hotel or condo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This Airstream camper below is so so so cute! It is only 9' long. It is for sale on ebay, currently $15,000, a ridiculous price.

IMG_1263.jpg
    Last edited by iris lily; 8-6-17 at 1:27pm.

So my DH figured out it is not fuses so now will have to figure out what is wrong with our motorhome. WE cancelled a trip for next weekend with friends. I need a few things to work. Also we got a new Maltese puppy that is 12 weeks old. He can't be anywhere that he could catch parvo so has to stay home for a month until he gets his last set of shots. WE actually got him free because he was not perfect. I expected reduced price but not free.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So my DH figured out it is not fuses so now will have to figure out what is wrong with our motorhome. WE cancelled a trip for next weekend with friends. I need a few things to work. Also we got a new Maltese puppy that is 12 weeks old. He can't be anywhere that he could catch parvo so has to stay home for a month until he gets his last set of shots. WE actually got him free because he was not perfect. I expected reduced price but not free.
    '
    Awesome, Terry. We just got a new puppy, too! The dogs are the primary reason I am interested in a camper. DH refuses to look at motorhomes because he says he doesn't want anything else mechanical that can break down.

Congratulations on your puppy! OUr girl is 9 weeks old. She will get more shots at 12 weeks--she just had a round at 8 weeks. I thought they got parvo already in the mix--but our vet said no long extended visiting anywhere (like at a groomer) until she had the 12 week shots, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So my DH figured out it is not fuses so now will have to figure out what is wrong with our motorhome.
    Based upon what you reported earlier, it sounds like it's time to replace the coach batteries.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks for the tip Alan but they were all replaced last year. Son and DH thinks it is a few switches on a circuit board. Tybee that is awesome. Baby Max gets his last set of shots at 16 weeks. Until then he is grounded unless I carry him. He is not quite 3 lbs yet and they expect him to be about 5 lbs. In general Maltese are small although I do have a giant one at 10 lbs and she is not fat.

Enjoying the reports of going camping with pets and the challenges. I hadn't thought about that part.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information