Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Changes in the Rest of Your Life from Using the Kondo Method

Yppej
    Getting rid of the stained medium sized Tupperware containers has me using the smaller ones that are left, and I believe the portion control in my brown bag lunches is helping with my weight loss.

I did the books purge, out of order (you do clothes first, then books), because the library was having a book sale. I haven't gotten to the clothes, which will be the next Kondo event.

My neighbor of 32 years moved out just yesterday to be closer to her son in Texas. We sat in her house the night before she left and she talked about how stressful it was getting rid of things. She gave stuff away, she left stuff on the curb, she called 1-800-JUNK.. she said it was just awful.

Then there's me--dying to move up to Vermont but held back by the knowledge that it will take me a few months to get the house in shape to sell, and then after I sell, I'm faced with The Grand Purge. I'm petrified. I am NOT good with details, organization, or decision-making. I'll be like those emotionally paralyzed people on Hoarders who just sit there and stare at one piece of paper trying to defend keeping it.

I think Kondo is the way to go. It feels like the most efficient, least stressful, way of just putting one foot in front of the other.

ejchase, you are doing the right thing! Please do it, and inspire me so I can get up to Vermont before 2022!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

After reading this thread I logged on to the local public library and got Marie Kondo's "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up". At the same time I got Fumio Sasaki's "goodbye, things". Maybe it could be a guy-thing, but I find his discussion of minimalism more applicable in my life than Marie Kondo's. I am into Day 2 of discarding junk, and I find it liberating. At the present my goal is to discard excess stuff from spaces that are considered "mine" as opposed to "shared" in the home. Then if the result is aesthetically pleasing, there is the possibility of Dear Wife emulating me or wanting to know more about it. Then maybe she would be interested in Marie Kondo. But DW's first reaction to Kondo's book (which she looked at while a passenger in the front seat of our car) was to roll her eyes.

dado, If you are like I am, there is plenty of your own stuff to clear. That's how I've been looking at things. Once I get my spaces all clear only then I can complain about my husband's stuff.

nswef, I am with you there.

Marie Kondo wrote in "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" that she made the mistake of disposing of family member's excess stuff that had been in a communal storage closet in her home. While she was successful in discarding a few of their items unnoticed, she was eventually reproached by family members. She uses bold type to say: To quietly work away at disposing of your own excess is actually the best way of dealing with a family that doesn't tidy.

"Find your own minimalism... There is no single correct definition of a minimalist." - Fumio Sasaki

Sasaki goes on to discuss a certain Mr. Numahata, who says minimalism has led him to buy a car, which is his mobile means of making time to be alone. Mr Numahata reduced not only his stuff, but also "his unnecessary interpersonal relationships".

Thread Information