Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Opoid crisis. Why is this happening!?!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    No kickbacks--just a different level of efficacy, and different mechanism. If people have cycled through NSAIDs with little response, doctors will switch to a different class. And many people do fine on them--just like not everyone who picks up a drink becomes an alcoholic.
    But as BikingLady pointed out, opioids are often the first-prescribed analgesic. I know several people whose doctors went directly to opioids after various procedures. Most of them quickly switched to NSAIDS because they didn't like the side effects or didn't need such heavy-duty medication.

A while back, I read an interesting book called Dreamland. It explained that much of the blame for the current crisis continuing could be pinned on cheap Mexican heroin. As I recall, distribution emanated from one small Mexican village and targeted areas in the US where there were already clinics set up to hand out opioids like candy. Once hooked but unable to get their scrips filled, addicts could instead buy the cheap heroin. Now it's everywhere.

here in the SE prescription drugs are used as a source of income. Get on disability, get the drugs. Get a check each month and sell the drugs as income. All ages do this.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    here in the SE prescription drugs are used as a source of income. Get on disability, get the drugs. Get a check each month and sell the drugs as income. All ages do this.
    Can you blame them?

We have an issue here because we have one doctor who "over-prescribes", for some of his patients with chronic issues. By "over-prescribe", in this case I don't mean the medicine is unnecessary, but he will write them for 3-6-9-12 months' worth instead of the usual several days/weeks supply. Which makes a certain amount of sense, given the logistics here for elderly people to get to the doctor, then to get their meds.

The issue is that scumbags then go rob these folks' homes for their meds. Sometimes when the residents are home.

Yep, I blame them.

They should be working a soul-sucking job for years like most of us do.............

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    We have an issue here because we have one doctor who "over-prescribes", for some of his patients with chronic issues. By "over-prescribe", in this case I don't mean the medicine is unnecessary, but he will write them for 3-6-9-12 months' worth instead of the usual several days/weeks supply. Which makes a certain amount of sense, given the logistics here for elderly people to get to the doctor, then to get their meds.

The issue is that scumbags then go rob these folks' homes for their meds. Sometimes when the residents are home.
    I have heard that when homes are broken into these days the medicine cabinets have been raided. Sad stuff.

Williamsmith
    I have heard that when homes are broken into these days the medicine cabinets have been raided. Sad stuff.
    I have mixed feelings. Burglars who are looking strictly for drugs or money would rather break in during the day when the owners are out working that "soul-sucking job" Tenngal refers to. But those types of people who work don't usually need the pain meds and so the burglars are forced to pick on the elderly who are home quite a lot and whose lifestyles can't be patterned easily. So they turn into cat burglars who slip through windows at night while the people are asleep. It takes a desperate person to do this and bad crap can happen.

But...with the easy availability of cheap heroin....these burglaries are happening less frequently and because of the high risk of overdosing....it becomes quickly obvious who is on the stuff. Enter my mixed feelings. One part of me says...that's the screwing you get for the screwing around you did. The other part says....pity that poor bastard.

Either way, if you slip into my place at night, you better be fitted with some nice body armor and be able to dodge 31 rounds of 9mm jacketed hollow points from a glock semi auto. Because you are never going to get the chance to overdose if you can't.

Can I just say as a true Coloradan, we love pot. Seriously, I have seen studies showing the lower opioid death rate when pot is legal. And I got some nice grant money from the taxes. If President Orange Cheryl wants to do something he should look at this, pretty sure he was the type to inhale.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Can I just say as a true Coloradan, we love pot. Seriously, I have seen studies showing the lower opioid death rate when pot is legal. And I got some nice grant money from the taxes. If President Orange Cheryl wants to do something he should look at this, pretty sure he was the type to inhale.
    He strikes me as the cocaine type, doing lines off the bodies of naked (underaged) women, but he maintains he's never done drugs or alcohol (apparently wine doesn't count). Meanwhile, the rest of us are developing drinking habits...

Thread Information