Thread: Best wood stripper product

Best wood stripper product

Over the weekend I purchased an Eastlake bed at an estate sale for 35 dollars. The only problem is that someone painted it green and then painted it white. I started working with one of the rails today using citrus strip but am getting nowhere.

Any ideas on a product that I can use to strip this bed that is ecofriendly and won't send me to the hospital?

Thanks!

We have used Formby furniture refinishing product on a coffee table in our living room with WONDERFUL results. It was easy too. It did not have layers of paint on it but think the paint remover product may work as well??? It is worth a try.

https://www.formbys.com/products/paint_poly_remover/
    https://www.formbys.com/

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    We have used Formby furniture refinishing product on a coffee table in our living room with WONDERFUL results. It was easy too. It did not have layers of paint on it but think the paint remover product may work as well??? It is worth a try.

https://www.formbys.com/products/paint_poly_remover/
    https://www.formbys.com/
    Thank you so much, I will stop at Lowes today and grab some.

Williamsmith
    I have used Formby's with good success. But I have also used a heat gun for layered paint issues. There are some precautions ...like keeping flammables out of the work area, wearing a mask and perhaps heat resistant gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Over the weekend I purchased an Eastlake bed at an estate sale for 35 dollars.
    What a score! I love Eastlake. I have the old Eastlake dresser that came from my aunt's cottage and I love it. So nice that you are restoring it to its former glory. Although I do think that Eastlake furniture might have been frequently painted back then because my dresser was pink and had to be stripped by my mother's husband. Looks great now.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

William, I did think about a heat gun--maybe I will try that on the rails.
    Catherine, an Eastlake dresser would be perfect for a cottage setting! I wonder about that painting--I thought it was going to be oak but it definitely is not oak. The rails look like mahogony, but that can't be right. Maybe the headboard and footboard will be oak. I have one in my shed that I bought in SC but it is not as large and the footboard is not ornamental, as this new one is.
    I guess if I end up having to paint it, it wont be the end of the world.

I bought an old maple bed years ago at a sale, stripped it, sanded it. It looked beautiful until I put on the stain....blotchy, blotchy ugly. I didn't know about maple's tendency to absorb unevenly. I antiqued it, reluctantly, but it looks fine. I did a desk for the sewing machine and a small dresser in same French blue antique. It works. Both the dresser and desk were already painted.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I bought an old maple bed years ago at a sale, stripped it, sanded it. It looked beautiful until I put on the stain....blotchy, blotchy ugly. I didn't know about maple's tendency to absorb unevenly. I antiqued it, reluctantly, but it looks fine. I did a desk for the sewing machine and a small dresser in same French blue antique. It works. Both the dresser and desk were already painted.
    They make a pretreatment product to help stain even out in wood. I've used it minwax's version when doing a plywood project that I needed not to stick out (large door for utility access for a building).

Thread Information